IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea woodsonia

Alicehunter2000

Never posted on the Pot Forum before so here it goes. Got a couple of these from Floribunda 2 years? ago. They are not setting any speed records but they seem to be doing ok in full shade. Anybody got any bigger ones in pots?

2016-07-17 16.36.35.jpg

2016-07-17 16.36.56.jpg

• Upvote 6

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Mine are the same size as yours. I have 4 left in pots after planting 2 in the ground a week ago. I had not been expecting seeds to set since they are still young.

c_woodsonia.jpg.6e047acf7579be4ca9a9bd39

Ed in Houston

• Upvote 2

I love the Chamaedorea species in general but of all that I have the Woodsonia for me has by far been the slowest grower and a real spider mite magnet. I have 4. Two 1 gallon and 2  4 inch plants also from Floribunda

None of mine are the size of yours so you must be doing something right!

• Upvote 1

Thanks....ok....so it's not just mine that are slugs.....Ed, your planting in the ground? ....what temps do you think they will take?

Scott, do you remember if the Floribunda were the really large woodsonia variety?

This is mine. For me is a fast grower.

I bought it one year ago with only 40 cm and in a 12 cm pot.

One year later it has 140 cm and is in 25 cm pot.

The problem, spider mites love it and hates full sun. Now, older leaves are eaten for spider mites and sun burned, because now it is in a place with morning sun.

IMG-20160718-WA0001.thumb.jpg.44d71f6e78

And leave with sun burn and spider mites

• Upvote 1

This is mine. For me is a fast grower.

I bought it one year ago with only 40 cm and in a 12 cm pot.

One year later it has 140 cm and is in 25 cm pot.

The problem, spider mites love it and hates full sun. Now, older leaves are eaten for spider mites and sun burned, because now it is in a place with morning sun.

IMG-20160718-WA0001.thumb.jpg.44d71f6e78

And leave with sun burn and spider mites

IMG-20160718-WA0000.thumb.jpg.2c0bed027b

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Thanks....ok....so it's not just mine that are slugs.....Ed, your planting in the ground? ....what temps do you think they will take?

Scott, do you remember if the Floribunda were the really large woodsonia variety?

I put two of the six I purchased in the ground. I might put another two in the ground next year and leave the last two in pots. My guess is that they are hardy to about 28F, about my average annual lowest.  That means that they have about a 50% chance of making it through one winter a 25% chance of making it two winters and so on. I do hope to get some cold hardiness data before they croak.

Mine were also purchased at Floribunda and were tagged as the large seed variety. They seem pretty vigorous to me.

Ed in Houston

From Pampedia on C. woodsonia:

" var. Gigante from the rainforests, in Panama, or possibly northern Colombia, can reach up to 12 m (40 ft.) tall. It produces a slender, green, solitary trunk that holds a crown of up to 6 ascending leaves with stiff leaflets. It is tolerant of cool conditions, and will take an occasional light winter freeze without damage. This giant form from Panama is larger than the one from Mexico, and has much larger seeds. Photo-Rare Palm Seeds.com, edric."

It looks like the ones from Floribunda labeled as the large seed variety are the  Gigante version.

Ed in Houston

Ed...Thanks...great...was hoping that was the case. Will be interesting to see if it does well for you in the ground.

Antonio, I love getting glimpses of the Spanish style architecture at your place.....just did tile work on my step risers to give the same feel to my place.

• Upvote 2

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016‎ ‎8‎:‎12‎:‎21‎, Alicehunter2000 said:

? I only know of one variety but this was the listing.  Chamaedorea woodsoniana (large seed)

are their others??

Ok, I see now that one version is from Mexico(smaller version) and other from

From rarepalmseed.com

Chamaedorea woodsoniana (Gigante)

One of the largest Chamaedorea, this palm from rainforests stretching from southern Mexico to Panama or possibly northern Colombia can reach up to 12 m (40 ft.) tall. It produces a slender, green, solitary trunk that holds a crown of up to 6 ascending leaves with stiff leaflets. Like other Chamaedorea it adapts extremely well to cultivation and does best in a warm temperate climate under some canopy. It is tolerant of cool conditions and will take an occasional light winter freeze without damage. This giant form from Panama is larger than the one from Mexico and has much larger seeds.

4 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Antonio, I love getting glimpses of the Spanish style architecture at your place.....just did tile work on my step risers to give the same feel to my place.

Thanks!!! :rolleyes:

Darold, all of your C. radicalis are doing great in the ground here....will post them on a thread sometime this summer. 

• 1 year later...

Just an update on these... one died this winter outside under frost cloth with some supplemental heat..but evidently still froze ...the other survived but must not like the heat because it quit growing...I wonder if it would do better inside an air conditioned house? I think it's gonna die where it's at. 

20180630_170148.jpg

Funny you posted today...probably about the same time I bought a huge 15 gal one from Phil at Jungle Music. Pic to follow later

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/18/2016, 8:12:21, Alicehunter2000 said:

I think so based on how palm seedling was listed on their price page. but not sure.