IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaerops

wimmie

The other day I visited a big wholesaler here in Holland. There were thousands of Chamaerops palms, big and small. Amongst all these palms my eye was caught by a young plant from which the beginning of the petioles, so near the base, were purple.  I have never before seen this colour in Chamaerops humilis. Anyone else?

Regards,

Wim.

IMG_20160717_170643purper.jpg

• Upvote 2

Yes, I have one like this. I think it's a hybrid between argentea and humilus. 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

I seem to remember a topic about these maybe on the EPS forum?

Any photos of all those Chamaerops at the wholesaler?

Regards Neil

Here's mine: image.thumb.jpeg.8eccd75696a1874618453d5

compare frond shape to argentea (cerifera):image.thumb.jpeg.0612eb789b9310056920c25

image.thumb.jpeg.4b56e2cc09f850bf52151c8

• Upvote 2

Brad, the shape of your cerifera's is what the French call "duplicifolia", multiple split leaflets which give the plant a very elegant appearance!

Regards,

Wim.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

Here's mine: image.thumb.jpeg.8eccd75696a1874618453d5

compare frond shape to argentea (cerifera):image.thumb.jpeg.0612eb789b9310056920c25

image.thumb.jpeg.4b56e2cc09f850bf52151c8

True, Cerifera is synonym of Argentea. Sorry.

• Upvote 1

The green palm at the bottom is the palm I think is a hybrid between the two. It has the purple petioles. I used an argentea picture to compare the two which is the blue palm in the middle picture. Sorry for any confusion. 

do you created this hybrid? how old is it?

do you have pics with the whole palm?

thanks.

22 hours ago, sergiskan said:

do you created this hybrid? how old is it?

do you have pics with the whole palm?

thanks.

No I didn't create it, I found it. I'm not sure how old it is but here is some more pictures! I love it  

image.thumb.jpeg.07d8235485e06d79140ee7fimage.thumb.jpeg.4089b5d0806b1ed8efc1013image.thumb.jpeg.9816a144511ad6170656ff7

• Upvote 3

One of my young C. humilis also has this colour on its petiole bases

• Upvote 1

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

On 18/7/2016, 5:01:57, Brad Mondel said:

Interesting approach, although I tend to disagree. The French have already described a cultivar as Chamaerops melanacantha, meaning having black spines. I think it is of this sort the plant in discussion. Wimmie, are its leaves also stiffer than on regular Chamaerops? If by any means I wanted to attribute to black petioled Chamaerops a certain property, this would be that it grower bigger and faster...

On 18/7/2016, 5:01:57, Brad Mondel said:

Interesting approach, although I tend to disagree. The French have already described a cultivar as Chamaerops melanacantha, meaning having black spines. I think it is of this sort the plant in discussion. Wimmie, are its leaves also stiffer than on regular Chamaerops? If by any means I wanted to attribute to black petioled Chamaerops a certain property, this would be that it grower bigger and faster...

10 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

No I didn't create it, I found it. I'm not sure how old it is but here is some more pictures! I love it  

image.thumb.jpeg.07d8235485e06d79140ee7fimage.thumb.jpeg.4089b5d0806b1ed8efc1013image.thumb.jpeg.9816a144511ad6170656ff7

I have an identical plant (albeit without black petioles) and I am pretty sure it is a cerifera hybrid, as I know exactly its origin.

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

I have an identical plant (albeit without black petioles) and I am pretty sure it is a cerifera hybrid, as I know exactly its origin.

Interesting, can you post pictures? When my "hybrid" unfolds new fronds it has a very slight epicuticular wax coating but fades away quickly. 

I've never seen black petioles on a Chamaerops either, the pups on the tree have very dark petioles too. 

13 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

very nice shape, so elegant.

Edited by sergiskan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brad Mondel said:

Interesting, can you post pictures? When my "hybrid" unfolds new fronds it has a very slight epicuticular wax coating but fades away quickly. 

I've never seen black petioles on a Chamaerops either, the pups on the tree have very dark petioles too. 

Err, by black petioles I mean the darker tint on the lower part of the petioles, just as shown in the initial pictures;  ok you may call it purple in the lighter shades. I will bring up pictures of mine soon. Resemblance is really remarkable.

• Upvote 1

This is my vulcano x cerifera hybrid.

it lose the black petioles from his father.(photo above)

i grow four of these, this is the only one that has some wax in his fronds.

image.thumb.jpeg.439e480a03a4156b7a94343image.thumb.jpeg.3e8a80a623a34a9eb7ca314

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, sergiskan said:

This is my vulcano x cerifera hybrid.

it lose the black petioles from his father.(photo above)

i grow four of these, this is the only one that has some wax in his fronds.

image.thumb.jpeg.439e480a03a4156b7a94343image.thumb.jpeg.3e8a80a623a34a9eb7ca314

It looks a lot like mine! Except the leaflets aren't as split as mine, but they're all variable when it comes to that. Thanks for sharing! What about those petioles?

maybe the color of the petioles is a recessive

characteristic, or it belongs to the mother.

the mother is a vulcano with green petioles,

Konstantinos is a person with a lot of

knowledge, he can check out the doubts.

Also make the reverse cross, cerifera X vulcano, they are smaller, I will take some photos.

sorry for my bad English.

• Upvote 1

Keeping the silver of cerifera and the leaf shape of vulcano would be an exceptional plant. I assume this is what you are trying to achieve with this cross. It's a shame that you get the colour of the vulcano and the leaf shape of cerifera. Still a nice plant though.

Regards Neil

2 hours ago, Neil C said:

Keeping the silver of cerifera and the leaf shape of vulcano would be an exceptional plant. I assume this is what you are trying to achieve with this cross. It's a shame that you get the colour of the vulcano and the leaf shape of cerifera. Still a nice plant though.

Regards Neil

Bingo!, that is my intention!LOL!

But any offsprings does not looks like the mother with white/blue leafs.:)

image.thumb.jpeg.28bf15dc3d73466e1aa4ac8image.thumb.jpeg.4bec2ad697bc246254efa6d

Regards.

Sergi.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

On 18.7.2016, 04:01:57, Brad Mondel said:

I also have a Chamerops with black petiole bases – plus it has red flower pouches, just like cerifera. The leaves are plain green.

Pics from last year.

IMG_2984_zpstcwway3u.jpg

IMG_2983_zpsmul4lawf.jpg

IMG_2990_zpsonkk4kan.jpg

• Upvote 2

Beautiful Palm flow! what do the seeds look like compared to humilus and argentea?

Thanks, I like it a lot. Maybe it's a hybrid but who knows..? It is very trouble free but does get some black spots on the leaves during winter (which is very wet here). Annual precipitation is around 1100mm/year (ie. it rains all the time).

Brad, I have no male plant, so it usually doesn't set seed. However, I hand-pollinated it last year with vulcano pollen that a friend gave me. I just threw the pollen over the inflorescences and got a very poor result, only 8 viable seeds.

Still, were it to be a hybrid with cerifera, the offspring would be a total mongrel;-). Something like (humilis x cerifera) x vulcano. Very interesting.

Here's a pic of the seeds and one from inside the house. It looks quite distinct from different angles.

IMG_3189.thumb.jpg.475a098cf6acc4ff67ac4

DSC_0011.thumb.jpg.3189e146022c6aa4b5ea2

• Upvote 5

Thanks for sharing! I'm glad to hear it does well in the rain, hopefully mine will as well this coming winter. The seeds are interesting, humilus seeds I collected were  more spherical than yours. 

I have seen many seed shapes, Konstantinos (Phoenikakias) would be the expert. If I remember correctly, he said the oval ones are more vigorous or grow faster but maybe that's an overgeneralisation.

I don't know your climate but if it doens't get too cold, moisture is not an issue. I am sure yours will be fine.

2 hours ago, Flow said:

I have seen many seed shapes, Konstantinos (Phoenikakias) would be the expert. If I remember correctly, he said the oval ones are more vigorous or grow faster but maybe that's an overgeneralisation.

I don't know your climate but if it doens't get too cold, moisture is not an issue. I am sure yours will be fine.

2 hours ago, Flow said:

I have two plants from a crossing of male duplicifolia cerifera with a gracile cultivar with a weak spiny habit and entire segments (tips barely split). The first one inherited the duplicifolia habit but remained green while the younger one retained the entire segments from mother but it has an obvious glaucous color on the leaves. Both however have a very prominent spiny habit. Spines are on both yellow but on older hybrid used to be black at a younger age.

Edited by Phoenikakias

IMG_20160723_123418.thumb.jpg.eed556de9aOk, this is an offshoot about 6 y.o., which has no whatever resemblance to cerifera but it has black/purple leaf bases. In terms of growth speed for Chamaerops it is a beast.

• Upvote 5

In sorry for the delayed response, but I was lacking an Internet connection. Continuing, here are two different groups of plants coming all from the same batch of seeds of a vulcano IMG_20160723_125830.thumb.jpg.b1ec24a36b

• Upvote 2

Do you notice the difference in size between plants in the two pots? The plants in the pot on the right side are larger though they grow under identical conditions and all have same age exactly. Actually a view from above does not reveal considerable differences on leaf shape between the two groups. Group on the leftIMG_20160723_125844.thumb.jpg.18c03562a4

• Upvote 2

Do you think the presence of purple petioles might indicate faster growth? 

Now another case: Those are four seedlings of same sage and growing under same conditions. They come from seeds as result of an intended cross between a dwarfy type and cerifera. Seeds were kindly gifted to me by Trava. Do you notice the difference in size of the two on the left compared to the two on the right? 

IMG_20160723_130643.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yes you have guessed correctly, the bigger ones have purple on stem. Not sure if picture can capture the purple color, because plants are still very young, but purple is there! Yes Brad, I have reasons to believe that purple is somehow connected with faster growth. But more data are needed for a positive answer. All Chamaerops growers should keep open eyes in this respect so that many cases can be inspected. 

IMG_20160723_130705.thumb.jpg.bbf0cf17c2

• Upvote 1

Yes you have guessed correctly, the bigger ones have purple on stem. Not sure if picture can capture the purple color, because plants are still very young, but purple is there! Yes Brad, I have reasons to believe that purple is somehow connected with faster growth. But more data are needed for a positive answer. All Chamaerops growers should keep open eyes in this respect so that many cases can be inspected. 

IMG_20160723_130705.thumb.jpg.bbf0cf17c2