IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

is this a Red Latan Palm?

Mohsen

I got this from Steve  @gtsteve  few weeks ago , it is labeled as Red Latan,( Latania lontaroides) ...but it densest look like red as all...

I searched and even the seedlings have red margin ? can anyone confirm this baby is actually a Red Latan Palm?

IMG_7192.JPG

IMG_7193.JPG

• Upvote 1

nooooooooooo even babies have red leaf margins but reddness depends on amount of sun I have all three varieties here I grew from seed red  yellow blue

tree2016-2.jpg

• Upvote 7

Yes I would agree with it being Livistona chinensis too.

• Upvote 1

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Livistona chinensis , now I am disappointing :(...

I should order different colors from Ben @Kennybenjamin if he has some...

How cold hardy are they? can they stand light frost? are they possible to grow in pots outdoor?

I doubt latans would be at all happy in pots with cold temperatures especially frost even if only light frost?

• Upvote 1

In Spain latans only grows in the best frost free areas.

I think it is not a good option for you.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

looks like a Chinese fan palm.

Actually an obsolete scientific name for it had been LATANIA borbonica...

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Livistona chinensis , now I am disappointing :(...

I should order different colors from Ben @Kennybenjamin if he has some...

How cold hardy are they? can they stand light frost? are they possible to grow in pots outdoor?

Just now, Phoenikakias said:

After all Mo you do have an (obsolete) Latania:P

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Neubert’s Gartenmagazin 1872 with the correct Latin spelling »sinensis« for wrong »chinensis«: :greenthumb::D

57875d8ced554_Lataniaborbonica.thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Pal, it is a so  common mistake, even in the German literature, so that it can not be considered a mistake anymore.

Case 1

img008.thumb.jpg.9e45b118281f8d79143036cimg007.thumb.jpg.5c7edcdcd79dc36fde71546

Case 2

img010.thumb.jpg.6ba2b83f78f5c7cd4d3f4c8img009.thumb.jpg.ae4e65153c07850e29b92c8

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

I doubt latans would be at all happy in pots with cold temperatures especially frost even if only light frost?

Thanks Ben

I think it is easier that I ask you to find a property for me in your area so we will move in so I can grow all palms I like... ;)

BTW, I saw the red Latans in Woolongong Botanic Garden and I really liked it...I think they might have light frost as well?? or maybe not

5 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

Agree. They aren't  very cold hardy palms at all and they need plenty of heat to grow. You can maybe grow it in a pot for several years by bringing it indoors to protect from cold and frosty weather...

Here's what my babies looked like when they came in the mail.

IMG_20150910_43506.thumb.jpg.2027a847e8e

And then during winter I would move them to the sunniest location I could place them in. They did ok. They took some light frost several times and had some foliage burn. One if them got water in the crown and died a slow death, I threw it in the compost pile just the other day.

IMG_20150911_44694.thumb.jpg.385ff9e5346

IMG_20160305_29756.thumb.jpg.35b68ac4808

• Upvote 8

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2016, 3:01:24, Mohsen said:

I got this from Steve  @gtsteve  few weeks ago , it is labeled as Red Latan,( Latania lontaroides) ...but it densest look like red as all...

I searched and even the seedlings have red margin ? can anyone confirm this baby is actually a Red Latan Palm?

IMG_7192.JPG

IMG_7193.JPG

@gtsteve

Steve, is it possible that the label was mixed with a  Livistona chinensis ?

Livistona chinensis common but nice. It will grow very well for you and will take light frosts. Latania is a challenge in the south. I have seen a reasonably large one in a pot down here in Melbourne that looked quite decent but recently died. I have a little one in the glasshouse. I will see how it goes in the ground when it gets larger. They are really beautiful with the red leaf markings when they are younger.

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2016, 9:54:24, Mohsen said:

Thanks Ben

I think it is easier that I ask you to find a property for me in your area so we will move in so I can grow all palms I like... ;)

BTW, I saw the red Latans in Woolongong Botanic Garden and I really liked it...I think they might have light frost as well?? or maybe not

Coldest it gets in Wollongong Botanical Gardens is 5C...they have a pretty good microclimate there

• Upvote 3

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Here is my L. lontaroides. Hasn't been through winter yet but I don't plan on letting it see anywhere near 32fimage.jpg

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 3

Mohsen, yes I admit that it does not now look like a red latan as above. I did have some like that, that I gave away.

I don't know which labels they ended up with? I got brahea glauca seeds at the same time as the Latania, does it look like one of those?

Otherwise I don't know. I have had magpies and the grandchildren all pulling out the labels for years, I'm buggered if I know what I have now.

I would not grow a L. chinensis on purpose. Give it a couple of years and I am sure that it will become perfectly clear.

I apologise for the confusion. :bemused:

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

12 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Mohsen, yes I admit that it does not now look like a red latan as above. I did have some like that, that I gave away.

I don't know which labels they ended up with? I got brahea glauca seeds at the same time as the Latania, does it look like one of those?

Otherwise I don't know. I have had magpies and the grandchildren all pulling out the labels for years, I'm buggered if I know what I have now.

I would not grow a L. chinensis on purpose. Give it a couple of years and I am sure that it will become perfectly clear.

I apologise for the confusion. :bemused:

No worries mate...

It is a beautiful one regardless what it is...I am not sure , could be a brahea perhaps? we will see :) 

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

No worries mate...

It is a beautiful one regardless what it is...I am not sure , could be a brahea perhaps? we will see :) 

Mohsen, why do you believe it’s a Brahea? It’s looking like a typical young Livistona chinensis as already guessed by others.

9 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Mohsen, why do you believe it’s a Brahea? It’s looking like a typical young Livistona chinensis as already guessed by others.

Pal, as Steve said he never had any L.Chinensis I thought i could be a Brahea...but now  i will label it as L.Chinensi

14 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Pal, as Steve said he never had any L.Chinensis I thought i could be a Brahea...but now  i will label it as L.Chinensi

Maybe he had ordered Brahea or so and got one cuckoo’s egg? — Here a pic of a juvenile L chinensis in habitat:

57a61565dbba4_7187N08-0237.thumb.jpg.404

• Upvote 2

On Sat Aug 06 2016 09:24:27 GMT-0700, Pal Meir said:

On Sat Aug 06 2016 09:36:00 GMT-0700, Mohsen said:

It is what it is Mohsen. It'll never be a brahea or. It's always going to be a L. Chinenesis. Steve's tag was wrong.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016‎ ‎5‎:‎22‎:‎39‎, Daryl said:

Coldest it gets in Wollongong Botanical Gardens is 5C...they have a pretty good microclimate there

Wow, that's crazy, considering that Wollongong is at a similar latitude to Santa Barbara!

sbpalms_banner1.png.6b44bf3d0d7c501ebff4