IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tomato Woes..

SailorBold

Is anyone growing tomatoes this year?  I would love to hear about some of your experiences maybe some tips..

This is my third year growing tomatoes.. while the last two years weren't a complete bust.. they were still pretty pathetic production wise. To try and combat my adverse soil and water conditions this year I decided to use self watering grow boxes.  I purchased three and have 2 tomato plants in each one so a total of 6 plants altogether.  They seem to be growing well and are about 5 feet tall. They are flowering.. starting to produce small fruits that don't grow quickly and the leaves are curling. I had the same problems last year too..  I have been using sulfuric acid in small amounts to pH the water.. limed the peat.. and have been consistently watering.

The problem is our heat...and I think they may be getting too much sun? It has been 90-plus over the last month and looks like temps will be hovering around 100 or so for the next week or more... I am planning on covering the plants with sheets starting tomorrow to help protect them. The RH is around 6-7%..(leaf curl?) UV as high as 13 ...

So here is the question I have..  I was reading that tomatoes don't really fruit when the temp is over 90f.. so  I understand that this may be the problem..  what happens when the temps start lowering to more optimal temps?  Will all the started fruits start to enlarge?? and as the vine continues to grow it will fruit normally?? The plants are a decent size now.. do you think it will effect my harvest later ?

Any experience you might have will be a good help..  I'm open to suggestions

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

What variety of tomato are you growing? Sometimes the variety you've chosen isn't breed for heat. I've tried many varieties over the years and have failed because of this. I realized that most heirlooms can't take the heat and the only viable option is hybrids. This year I tried "parks whopper hybrid" and it is doing fantastic. Like you, my tomatoes were a bust for three consecutive years but now with this variety they are doing great and producing delicious fruit. At first they were off to a bad start, my raised bed soil was lacking in nutruients, but when I fertilized them they took off like crazy! They're 5ft tall now and loaded with blossoms and baby fruits. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Jimmy:

Deserts are tough places for tomatoes. The whole deal is all wrong for them. The soil is not to their liking, they hate the high heat, the water is full of salts that burn them. Sometimes you can get around those problems by creating a special environment for them. I managed to grow tomatoes well in San Bernardino, but it's not the high desert by a long shot, and I had good fertile soil.

As Brad noted, the best thing is to pick varieties specially bred to grow well where you are. I'd contact your state agricultural extension service or a local nurseryperson.

Let us know how it goes!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Tomatoes fruiting is related to the night time temperature and the day time temperature or both the soil and air.  When night time temps do not go below 80 or daytime temps go above 95, the plants may flower, but there will be no pollination.  Fruit already on the tree should continue to develop, provided enough water is provided.   Some shade cloth would help, and keep them well mulched to help with soil temps. 

And with our hot summers, we have heat set tomatoes available.   The overall extension of conditions is not all that great, and in my opinion they don't taste all that great.  I'd go with traditional varieties known to do well in your climate and work on their microclimate.   Due to heat, here we don't even try to keep tomatoes alive in midsummer.  We grow a spring crop AND a fall crop.   We put in our fall tomatoes between now and early August.

• Upvote 2

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

10 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

What variety of tomato are you growing? Sometimes the variety you've chosen isn't breed for heat. I've tried many varieties over the years and have failed because of this. I realized that most heirlooms can't take the heat and the only viable option is hybrids. This year I tried "parks whopper hybrid" and it is doing fantastic. Like you, my tomatoes were a bust for three consecutive years but now with this variety they are doing great and producing delicious fruit. At first they were off to a bad start, my raised bed soil was lacking in nutruients, but when I fertilized them they took off like crazy! They're 5ft tall now and loaded with blossoms and baby fruits. 

There are 2 beefsteak.. 1  I am not sure..  a Cherokee Purple and 2 San Marzano..  It has certainly been a learning experience..  One year its this.. the next its this and some other sort of problem that arises.  I'm glad they are doing well for you.  Last year I had fusarium wilt.. from.. I'm assuming the leaves touching the soil.. then there were those hornworms. It gets better a little bit better every year.. but I'm certainly not winning any tomato rewards !     I figured the growboxes would solve everything..

9 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Jimmy:

Deserts are tough places for tomatoes. The whole deal is all wrong for them. The soil is not to their liking, they hate the high heat, the water is full of salts that burn them. Sometimes you can get around those problems by creating a special environment for them. I managed to grow tomatoes well in San Bernardino, but it's not the high desert by a long shot, and I had good fertile soil.

As Brad noted, the best thing is to pick varieties specially bred to grow well where you are. I'd contact your state agricultural extension service or a local nurseryperson.

Let us know how it goes!

Yeah no kidding! It has been very difficult and humbling at the same time. Bad soil Bad water.. Bad Humidity or lack of..  I got most of my tomatoes from the big box stores this year.... I did see a Desert King variety.. but passed up on it when I was choosing between the Cherokee purple and the San Marzano. I think another problem I am running into is the sun in the afternoon hitting the side of the growbox prolly cooking the roots as Keith mentioned soil temperature above...  I covered them with the sheets as I mentioned.. and it seems to have helped a bit but... what a pain jeesh.  I'm going to try and cover the boxes with cinderblocks or something.. maybe that will help too.  If the monsoon starts I will be put more at ease but not yet..   

9 hours ago, _Keith said:

Tomatoes fruiting is related to the night time temperature and the day time temperature or both the soil and air.  When night time temps do not go below 80 or daytime temps go above 95, the plants may flower, but there will be no pollination.  Fruit already on the tree should continue to develop, provided enough water is provided.   Some shade cloth would help, and keep them well mulched to help with soil temps. 

And with our hot summers, we have heat set tomatoes available.   The overall extension of conditions is not all that great, and in my opinion they don't taste all that great.  I'd go with traditional varieties known to do well in your climate and work on their microclimate.   Due to heat, here we don't even try to keep tomatoes alive in midsummer.  We grow a spring crop AND a fall crop.   We put in our fall tomatoes between now and early August.

Yeah that's what I am seeing.. even slow ripening... I never thought about trying a later crop; but that may be the best way to go..Now you got me thinking!

Due to my previous years of failures.. I pretty much thought I got it down this year.. mind you.. they aren't that bad but they are definitely showing signs of stress.. especially with the leaf curl. At least I read that wont effect the plant too much (hopefully)..

8 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

You may wish to check out this site. More on tomatoes than you ever thought possible.

http://www.tomatoville.com

Great site!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

11 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

You may wish to check out this site. More on tomatoes than you ever thought possible.

http://www.tomatoville.com

I have been a member there for years.   More than you would ever want to know about tomatoes for sure.   And very engaged forum members, too.   Nothing goes unanswered. 

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Thanks for all replies..  That looks like an excellent site! 

I will keep you updated.. maybe this will be my Tomato year!

Are you growing your tomatoes from seed or transplants? When I buy my tomatoes starts in April to go into pots they already have flowers on them, so its kinda interesting that yours are just starting to bloom. But then again I am growing mostly cherry tomatoes like sun gold which gets up to 8’ here. 

Keep trying cause soon you’ll find the best tomato varieties for your climate and heat. 

Edited by Palm crazy

3 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Are you growing your tomatoes from seed or transplants? When I buy my tomatoes starts in April to go into pots they already have flowers on them, so its kinda interesting that yours are just starting to bloom. But then again I am growing mostly cherry tomatoes like sun gold which gets up to 8’ here. 

Keep trying cause soon you’ll find the best tomato varieties for your climate and heat. 

I'm trying both.. don't get me wrong they have been blooming for some time.. but it seems that the fruit isn't maturing fast.  Some of them are staying small and then turning red.. but I know there are other blossoms that are pollinated but still have the small tomato inside that are just not doing anything.. until it wants to?  My San Marzano.. for example.. which is store bought.. has lots of fruits.. a couple larger than an inch..  with blossom end rot.. that I just picked off because they turned red.  I threw them out. Worthless.  I'm going to try a blossom end rot spray and see if that helps.  Trust me though.. pH and calcium and all that are all thought of. 

Its just got to be the heat..  We have had about 36 days at or above 95f so far. Fortunately its going to cool to the low 90's next week.. August depending on the monsoon is mostly over 90 too. 

Have you ever tried 'Sweet 100' ?  I was thinking about trying a fall crop to see how well they do.

Yes Sweet 100 is a very good tomato here because lack of heat is not a problem. We haven’t had a day above 80F this July which is really weird since last year was so hot in the 90’s and low 100’s. But next weekend it suppose to get into the mid 90’s. My garden is always green and lust all year no matter how rainy or hot and dry it gets thanks to irrigation. 

Good luck with the tomatoes and let everyone know what variety work best in your hot climate. I grow my tomatoes on trellis. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Yes Sweet 100 is a very good tomato here because lack of heat is not a problem. We haven’t had a day above 80F this July which is really weird since last year was so hot in the 90’s and low 100’s. But next weekend it suppose to get into the mid 90’s. My garden is always green and lust all year no matter how rainy or hot and dry it gets thanks to irrigation. 

Good luck with the tomatoes and let everyone know what variety work best in your hot climate. I grow my tomatoes on trellis. 

Sweet 100 is great in heat.  Mine is still making fruit here in mid July.

• Upvote 2

Look at this wonderful San Marzano.. and this Better Boy (that was the mystery plant I couldn't remember)...    So pathetic... smh lol  These are the better looking fruits.. all the other ones got thrown across the yard.

Other than that it didn't cool down yet.. lowest it has been the last 3+ weeks is 96f (yesterday) and the avg high for July so far has been 99f; which is warmer than normal.

I ordered 'Sweet 100' seeds and they are on their way... Ill give them a shot for a fall crop.

IMAG2014.jpg