IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm growth observations in Dallas with pictures.

TonyDFW

Do you remember the seed source for your filifera?  The trunk is thinner than one would expect?

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Thanks for sharing. Very impressive. I was in Dallas last June and was wondering about the palm potential there. Your garden definitely shows that Dallas can be palm country....

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

18 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

016F946B-A594-4F93-B1AE-538475257495.jpg

2F64EE19-3F11-4E36-A333-59FDB9805A07.jpg

Snow in Texas? I imagined Texas to be hot all year round

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Very cool before and afters. Really interested in that Merrill BxJ you have.

Is that an F2 from his (JXBXB) x B? ................or an F1 BXJ hybrid he did himself?

Merrill Quote from this thread: 

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/4789-jubutyagrus/&page=3

"A seedling from the F1 JXB at Fairchild, therefore an F2, (JXB)XB was bought from FTG by a friend; this is the parent I've been working with.  This F2 is mostly selfsterile, but is very receptive to Butia pollen with somewhat limited germination of the very large seed.  The next generation of resultant F3 when back-crossed with w/ Butia produce a very heavy set of large seed when self- or sibling-pollinated. "

Just curious because I have one of the JxBxB x S that Tim Hopper did. It is VERY Fast grower.

Thanks

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Amazing how strong those palms come back after the repeated snow storms. Impressive!

I don't know the specifics about its genetic background. When I acquired it, I was told it was a Merrell Wilcox hybrid.

Tony, take a look at that link from my post above. It is a VERY long thread, but it will provide possibly a valuable insight as to where your palm may have come from. I was not aware that he did a BxJ cross but was aware of this JxBxB cross. Several people on PT have these decendents from the original JxB at Fairchild. It is actually a very interesting thread... albeit very long.

Here is a pic from page 16 of that thread

1231192_431867040255329_534096811_n.jpg.2b8a3349cd065076bcb7b969e8c63980.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 2 weeks later...

Great timeline showing growth of unique palms in fringe area. Dallas does not scream palms to me but your collection proves otherwise. Also great to see so many "Merrill Wilcox" protégés.

What you look for is what is looking

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2016‎ ‎3‎:‎25‎:‎51‎, Alicehunter2000 said:

Tony, take a look at that link from my post above. It is a VERY long thread, but it will provide possibly a valuable insight as to where your palm may have come from. I was not aware that he did a BxJ cross but was aware of this JxBxB cross. Several people on PT have these decendents from the original JxB at Fairchild. It is actually a very interesting thread... albeit very long.

Here is a pic from page 16 of that thread

1231192_431867040255329_534096811_n.jpg.2b8a3349cd065076bcb7b969e8c63980.jpg

Amazing..  my palm was once lost..  and now it is found. 

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

TONY!

Whoa! That is truly epic, as anything on the Big Island, Sri Lanka or any of the "easy" palm places.

:greenthumb:

:greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What's the lowest temperatures your palms have seen? I'm in zone 8a like you but my average minimum is 10F. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

My usual annual low is about 18F. Last year it was 28F.

2011 was the coldest in 20 years and it went down to 11F, with 4 consecutive days below freezing.. Almost all W. Robustas were wiped out. Many Butia capitatas were heavily damaged that year. C. Humilis was defoliated  that year. 

• Upvote 1

Here is a another Washingtonia mutt to add to this DFW growth thread.  I am 25 miles south west of Tony and registered a low of 13.2 degrees in 2011. 

2009 fan palm.jpg

2010 palm tree.jpg

2011 palm tree.jpg

2012 palm tree.jpg

2013 palm tree.jpg

2014 washingtonia.jpg

3.22.2015 washingtonia.jpg

• Upvote 2

And here it is tonight.  Roughly 16' of trunk.  We experience the mildest winter that we have ever had and it appears that it will grow 4'+ of CT in 2016.  I had never had more than 3' of trunk growth in a single year before, but the trunk is also much thinner at this height than previously. 

We experienced 45-50 mph winds during a storm last week that broke most of the fronds

A2016 washingtonia.jpg

• Upvote 3

This thread clearly shows what filibusta's can handle when the filifera part is dominant in the cross. Only the fronds seem a bit more tender than pure filifera if im correct?

• 3 weeks later...

Terrific pics, fellas. Soon I'll get some new pics of the few Filiferas I've found in and around Lubbock to chart their growth. Winter temps rarely get down to 10f, but I've seen it dip to 5f a few times... Complete defoliation is expected every year.

Edited by pennerchris@gmail.com

• 1 year later...

Im in nor cal, zone 9a but 40 wet inchs in 3 winter months, the combination of wet and cold is what they don't like.  My robustas won't die or barely grow, my pure filliferas (Palm Springs seeds )almost all get spear rot, if not this yr, probably next yr. i get acouple inchs of snow a yr. when this happens my filliferas get a dark leaf freeze burn, robustas brown quickly and my hybrids r fine.  I talked to a huge palm spot in borrego springs n he assured me this isn't possible, but since growing these from seeds for years, from different sorces too, i can assure u that the hybrid is superior with the cold wet conjunction.   Ive even seen fillibusta's naturalize all by them selves in places like santa rosa, clear lake and redway, and at my place at 2000 ft elevation ( no winter protection but i did water it in summer, but getting threw winters what's important). For a hardy palm that grows quickly; highly recommend fillibusta and butia capitata.  Never seen my butias have even a shred of freeze burn. 

• 3 years later...