IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Got myself a Mother in Law's Tongue

Howeadypsis

Also known as Snake Plant.  

Found this on the reduced stand today. Had to have it, I always wanted  a Sansevieria 

PicsArt_07-01-02.45.57.jpg

PicsArt_07-01-02.49.08.jpg

PicsArt_07-01-02.47.39.jpg

• Upvote 2

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

I have never seen a plant that can tolerate so much abuse.  My biggest fear would be treating it too good, lol.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 4 weeks later...

I had to repot it. I could feel a lump on the side of the pot. Turned out to be a pup!

PicsArt_07-09-04.08.15.jpg

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

Those become out of control spreading disasters here

Not if kept in pots

I just cleaned a heap out of a garden at a clients house and almost filled a mini skip with them....... Obviously you will not have that problem in your climate.

• Upvote 1

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

They are an intrusive species here as well. 

Sold at the local nurseries but if you know where to look at, you will find them in large

quantities in the wild.

best regards

3 hours ago, Howeadypsis said:

Not if kept in pots

If you're in a mild part of England, they might even grow outside.

TOUGH

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

5 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

If you're in a mild part of England, they might even grow outside.

TOUGH

Unfortunately they have to stay indoors here. Not allowed to plant out in the garden

Just now, Howeadypsis said:

Unfortunately they have to stay indoors here. Not allowed to plant out in the garden

Invasive species?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Just now, DoomsDave said:

Invasive species?

No we're not allowed to plant anything in the garden. Part of the housing association agreement.

No we're not allowed to plant anything in the garden. Part of the housing association agreement.

One of those "Housing Estates"? I had a client from England who fled hers. Have to find out the particulars.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DoomsDave said:

One of those "Housing Estates"? I had a client from England who fled hers. Have to find out the particulars.

Yea housing associations are binding. Couldnt decorate the house for a year-it was a new build house. But we needed a bigger house and beggars cant be choosers.

Yea housing associations are binding. Couldnt decorate the house for a year-it was a new build house. But we needed a bigger house and beggars cant be choosers.

WHOA! Couldn't even change the rugs? Wallpaper? Drapes? Furniture? Egad!

I've heard about the shortage of housing in UK, in part the result of greenbelts, etc.

I'm an attorney and I've done some work relating to housing associations in California. Always curious to know how others do their thing.

I'm a member of a much much more benign association.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

One of those "Housing Estates"? I had a client from England who fled hers. Have to find 

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

WHOA! Couldn't even change the rugs? Wallpaper? Drapes? Furniture? Egad!

I've heard about the shortage of housing in UK, in part the result of greenbelts, etc.

I'm an attorney and I've done some work relating to housing associations in California. Always curious to know how others do their thing.

I'm a member of a much much more benign association.

Its nothing to do with the housing shortage,  its just how housing associations work. You pay rent so you are effectively borrowing the house from them. Previously we rented from the council which has different rules. I dont know what the equivalent of a council is in the states.

11 hours ago, Howeadypsis said:

That sucks big time !!!

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Years ago in Skool, I learned that Sanseveria can be propagated  by taking leaf sections and rooting them.  And supposedly, different parts of the leaf would produce differently shaped plants.  I never knew anyone who bothered to test that, because of their invasiveness.  Anybody know about it?

• Upvote 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

7 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Years ago in Skool, I learned that Sanseveria can be propagated  by taking leaf sections and rooting them.  And supposedly, different parts of the leaf would produce differently shaped plants.  I never knew anyone who bothered to test that, because of their invasiveness.  Anybody know about it?

Yes if a variegated species is propagated thusly the resulting new plants will have no variegation.