IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ensete

Las Palmas Norte

Very fast growing, Ensete ventricosum 'Maurelli' has out grown it's 5 gallon pot. Note to self, plant it ASAP. I'll likely have to cut the pot to free it up for planting. Any other banana pics or info welcome.

Cheers, Barrie.

Ensete.jpg

• Upvote 3

Fast growers eh

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Absolutely love these.  Great looking plants.

I have several in the ground here in coastal Southern California. Even with the mostly ocean influenced climate, these plants need protection.

In summer that means morning sun and afternoon shade.  Plenty of water too.

In winter, these need protection from frost.

Regardless of the time of year, protection from wind is a must.

I have a couple of these in Lousisiana.  Twice, they have frozen to the ground, but returned in spring.

• Upvote 2

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

This one gets full on sun pretty much all day and has spent the past several months in my greenhouse. Minimum temps around 90°F (daytime) 60°F night temps. None I've had in the past have survived a winter freeze down. I'm very tempted to pot it up to a 20 gallon size and stick it in the ground next year.

Cheers, Barrie.

This is mine. Takes morning sun and afternoon shade. Fast grower, but less than Musas.

IMG-20160702-WA0008.thumb.jpg.3226f7df13IMG-20160702-WA0009.thumb.jpg.8b213f7135

• Upvote 3

This is my best looking one.   It is by far the most protected of the 5 I have in the ground. 

20160701_195814.jpg

• Upvote 2

I'd like to try one of these but I am not sure where I would get it enough wind protection.  Do they die back to the stem with a mild freeze?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

45 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I'd like to try one of these but I am not sure where I would get it enough wind protection.  Do they die back to the stem with a mild freeze?

Unfortunately Ben, yes. I think a light 30°F / -1°C frost of short duration might be the limit. Often it's whether or not frost crystals actually form on the leaves. An overhead canopy would prevent that. Some folks have cut all the leaves off in winter making it easier to protect. As a fast grower, it'll rebound quickly once warmer weather returns.

Cheers, Barrie.

• Upvote 1

I decided to re-pot rather then plant it out for this season. Next year it will have to be planted. We cut down a big Eucalyptus nitens this spring and the Ensete now sits on the stump.

Cheers, Barrie.

Ensete001.jpg

Ensete002.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 7/2/2016, 8:45:21, Ben in Norcal said:

yup, but they roar right back

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Had few for years

IMAG6864_zps88676340.jpg

they get huge in no time and beautiful color makes them thankful

IMAG6936_zpsfc7efa0f.jpg

IMAG6930_zps95d152d6.jpg

:greenthumb:

• Upvote 3

I have one growing here in the desert. It got really beat with the heat wave of 120°f ++ but its quickly pushing out new leaves with the extra water ive been giving it.

I'll definitely pick up some more when i see them for sale at local nurseries. They are very colorfull when the temps cool down and reward you with new pretty leaves constantly. :greenthumb::wub:

Oh man, now you guys got me wanting to go buy more Ensetes.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages