IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis coursii

Darold Petty

I obtained this palm as a small seedling from the Floribunda release of January, 2012.  I grew it larger in my greenhouse and moved it outdoors last September 21st, 2015.  It seemed to tolerate  the winter, even expanding a leaf last February.  This species was suggested to me based on SoCal observations that it disliked high heat.  I planted it in the ground on June 28th, 2016.  The sky was completely overcast with marine fog all day, and the afternoon high temperature was 12C.

The pot is a California "5-gallon", 25cm diameter by 30cm tall.  The prominent root is 12mm diameter.  This plant has several large roots and I felt this was a good time to ground plant rather than to pot up to a larger container.

IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_4074.JPG

IMG_4078.JPG

• Upvote 10

San Francisco, California

Here is the installed palm, wish me luck, as I believe that no one has tried this species at such a high latitude and cool, mean temperatures !! 

I used the wine bottle as a convenient item for scale.  And then, I celebrated by drinking the bottle, vintage 2005 !!  :mrlooney: 

IMG_4080.JPG

IMG_4076.JPG

• Upvote 9

Sweet Darold, all the way around..

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Congratulations Darold, Lucky you , these seem near impossible to germinate,  the "majority" of Mad Fox seed Ive gotten have a very undeveloped embryo for some reason , they are also very fibrous inside so "maybe" some tiny Hawaian  borer has gotten in while its developing ?? You have the green thumb so you'll have "success"..                Pete :)  

I hope that Pommard Premier Cru is a 2012, too!  A most appropriate choice to mark the occasion.  Keep another bottle in reserve for scale in future photos. :)

I wonder if your beauty could use a tad more sunshine?  I will have to check to be sure, but this one was planted sometime in 2012, if memory serves.  It has the Hawaiian advantage, but I can't help but be impressed by your healthy specimen in such a different climate.

DSC_0203.thumb.jpg.472902df74a1164c7f9fb

Not yet showing the trunk, but getting fat... and plenty of moss! :P

DSC_0204.thumb.jpg.d43830fa998f001505331

Wishing you continued success!

• Upvote 7

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

3 minutes ago, Kim said:

I hope that Pommard Premier Cru is a 2012, too!  A most appropriate choice to mark the occasion.  Keep another bottle in reserve for scale in future photos. :)

I wonder if your beauty could use a tad more sunshine?  I will have to check to be sure, but this one was planted sometime in 2012, if memory serves.  It has the Hawaiian advantage, but I can't help but be impressed by your healthy specimen in such a different climate.

DSC_0203.thumb.jpg.472902df74a1164c7f9fb

Not yet showing the trunk, but getting fat... and plenty of moss! :P

DSC_0204.thumb.jpg.d43830fa998f001505331

Wishing you continued success!

Show off  Kim  :D

Your a lucky man with a beautiful Palm Darold.

This species is at the very top of my wish list but impossible to buy here in Australia and as Pedro said.... near impossible to germinate :crying:

I will keep trying for as long as it takes though!

Best of luck with yours! :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

I wish you all the best Darold. Make sure you give us updates. That's one beautiful palm there.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

My babies in the ground for over a year have no problems with cold and love lots of water. Yours looks great, Darold!

Darold, this is a very impressive palm to have and especially to see it growing in habitat! I wish you all the best in growing it in your garden, Kim you as well. This is one that just will not thrive here in our climate.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Nice growth on those two.  Darold, very impressed that you could get one to that size in just 4 years here in California.  I have grown 2 from Jeff M. that have done fine in pots for a couple of years, but seem to slowly die off once I put them in the ground.  Definitely a tricky species, hope your palm and Kim's keep charging along!

Very nice Darold!  Like others have mentioned, I've tried several of these and unfortunately been unsuccessful so far.  I would still like to try another, but I haven't seen them around much lately like I did a few years ago. 

Nice specimen!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Coursii like the cool, and Darold's place is the coolest, short of maybe Alaska! :)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I germinated some of these in the past in Perth. They were fine in winter then just died in summer. Down here in my new cold "tropical" garden they may actually not end up in the compost heap.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Calling in from a place with a limited number of palm trees to grow so far I have to confess I got hooked here.

It seems to be a special species - honored with a great wine - so I am wishing you all the best!

Dypsis palms are simply phantastic in its variations - I will make a note and maybe I will get 

a chance to give it a try someday.

Thanks and - 

best regards

That is one fabulous palm Darold and i am sure the palm gods will smile on this one for sure !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

• 4 months later...

Bump my own thread, :mrlooney:  and ..."Pride comes before the Fall",  :(

I well knew this species' reputation for difficulty, but had assumed that the troubles were mostly with small seedlings.  I had  assumed that the palm would be more trouble-free when  grown to a large 5-gallon size and when the palms had been outdoors for nine months.  WRONG !

Both my in-ground palm and its potted, back-up sibling were attacked by an unknown pathogen that spread quickly.  These two palms went from green to brown in about 5 weeks.  The larger one is already showing opportunistic, secondary fungus attack on the leafbases.  So this is additional evidence of the touchy nature of D. coursii, at least for California.

I used to get very upset when some special plant died in my garden, but now, not so much.  I will try a palm with a habitat background somewhat closer to my microclimate, the leading contender for this spot is Pritchardia minor.

Visitors to my garden often say "All your plants look great!", and my response is  "You just haven't seen all the failures that are now gone!"    :floor: 

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, humility always has plenty of company!

So sorry to see! (What happened to mine, too.)

How about a Dictyocaryum lamarckianum?

File:Zlamarckianum.jpg

• Upvote 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Well, humility always has plenty of company!

So sorry to see! (What happened to mine, too.)

How about a Dictyocaryum lamarckianum?

File:Zlamarckianum.jpg

Oh, what happened to Dictyocaryum lamarckianum now? same story like the poor Dypsis?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Sorry to hear this Darold.  I killed two of them over the last few years.  They both died at the end of a long hot summer.  I figured that your climate would be perfect for them.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

thanks for the update Darold. Sorry to see your magnificent palm bite the dust.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

17 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Bump my own thread, :mrlooney:  and ..."Pride comes before the Fall",  :(

...Visitors to my garden often say "All your plants look great!", and my response is  "You just haven't seen all the failures that are now gone!"    :floor: 

Very sorry to see you lost these palms, Darold. It is worth noting to neophyte gardeners that great collections of exotica usually have equally large and costly compost heaps somewhere in their pasts. Inevitably, I find that just when I've convinced myself that I have perfected the cultivation of something exceptionally challenging and start to feel my head swelling, reality comes along and blackjacks me from behind. 'Tis the very essence of the game, I suppose.

Best regards,

Jay

• Upvote 1

sorry to see Darold but as we say down here - you never know if you never go !

Visitors to my garden often say "All your plants look great!", and my response is  "You just haven't seen all the failures that are now gone!"  - have the exact same response myself.

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Ack. Sorry Darold, she was a beaut. I've killed every one I've touched. Yet somehow my next door neighbors grows well despite neglect. Thanks for the update; even a negative experience is helpful..

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Bummer Darold! As you know.. not easy to keep well. I planted out a big one that sunburned fairly quick and with "racoon attacks" looking for grub, it took a couple years to fade away..

I have another smaller one to try, but I think they need mostly shade to look their best here. I'll probably do a similar rock basket thing like for my Lepidorrachis.

On a side note, The B. mooreii from you looks happier since planted in the yard. :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks to all for the kind remarks. 

Bill, my ground-planted B. mooreii is the only one I still have.

For those of you whose have died toward the end of summer, was it still hot when they died? Or was it when things had definitely started to cool down?

:( So sorry to see your prized palm expire.  Such a disappointment.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

2 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

For those of you whose have died toward the end of summer, was it still hot when they died? Or was it when things had definitely started to cool down?

I lost one suddenly late in winter, and one in Autumn, but don't recall if the one that went down in Autumn was after nights had really started cooling off.  Both were somewhat floppy, with what seemed to be a much smaller root system compared to what was above the ground.  I lost one at about 1 year, and the other at about 2 1/2 years.  The first one didn't live to make the move to Leucadia from Carlsbad, but the second seemed to be transitioning fine then suddenly went downhill.  It is a plant that I have considered trying again.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

7 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

My both died when it started to cool down.  But I don't think that I'd given them enough shade and watered them adequately.