IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

As promised, a new Copernicia thread.

Mandrew968

Next, is Copernicia fallaensis. This is one of four I have planted--third largest and in my backyard. 

falla2.jpg

• Upvote 12

This palm is at my inlaws and in 40 years, I hope to remove the lutescens as the Copernicia replaces it for privacy hedge...

glabrescens2.jpg

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Here is a close up shot of the base.

falla1.jpg

Wow.....how old?

Next, is Copernicia fallaensis. This is one of four I have planted--third largest and in my backyard. 

falla2.jpg

That's just plain beautiful! I don't think there's an emoji to capture my appreciation.

2 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Wow.....how old?

I think about 5 years from a 3 gallon, but I know I documented the entire planting on here...

I think about 5 years from a 3 gallon, but I know I documented the entire planting on here...

Nice strong growth for 5 years.

16 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Hope you like em, Pete.

Absolutely Andrew, they are all "Crankn", thanks for posting..

Pete   :)  

Here is Copernicia ekmanii. I have been neglecting it, but recently gave it some fertilizer and may weed it this weekend...

ekman1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Another ekman shot. This palm does have a very nice color.

ekman2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Next up is Copernicia berteroana. Mine has a stiffer and more blue leaf than any other berts I have seen--thanks Mr. Johnson!

bert1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Currently my only (first) Copernicia to flower and set viable seed.

bertseed.jpg

• Upvote 1

And here is a shot of the whole palm as the sun is falling below the house.

bert2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Last Copernicia for the day is my oddball. I don't know what it is other than a hybrid of some two cuban species...

odd.jpg

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Next up is Copernicia berteroana. Mine has a stiffer and more blue leaf than any other berts I have seen--thanks Mr. Johnson!

bert1.jpg

Andrew,

Your picture above, although a nice looking specimen, is in no way a Copernicia berteroana. The color is not correct, nor the leaves. At best, it's a hybrid of unknown origin and should in no way be labeled C. berteroana. Many of us grow these here in south Florida and there are plenty of good examples around, also some of us saw these growing in habitat down in the Dominican Republic during the 2004 Biennial.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have had a few people come and see it and no one has thought it to be a hybrid. I I would like to think I know a berteroana when I see one--having said that, I think there are two different variations depending on which part of the island you find them on. I saw two different collections at Fairchild and one has a the stiffer leaf like mine. I would be interested in what others think. Hybrid or not?..

Such an awesome genus. By far one of my favorites. Almost worth moving to Florida just to have these. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

To be controversial (I like doing that) these do nothing for me that a Livistona or a Bismarckia don't.  Not to mention Brahea, which basically need zero care - just in case you prefer slugs.  To each their own (climate), I guess.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

12 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

To be controversial (I like doing that) these do nothing for me that a Livistona or a Bismarckia don't.  Not to mention Brahea, which basically need zero care - just in case you prefer slugs.  To each their own (climate), I guess.

Whooooooo. that's a bold statement. I love livis and brahea but man copernicia is the king of the fans. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Just now, Stevetoad said:

Whooooooo. that's a bold statement. I love livis and brahea but man copernicia is the king of the fans. 

Maybe it's just that they don't really work in California. Anyway, Josh was showing me these Copernicia he was so proud of in SD, and I was like "meh."  So many incredible palms there...and the Copernicia not among them.  IMO!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

It's rough to find a good looking one in CA so that I understand. Problem is if you see one in person in Florida or the carribean that monkey stays with you. I agree that there's better choices in CA. But I'll keep tryin. 

• Upvote 2

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Here are some pics of the berteroanas we saw in the DR in 2006. The juveniles looked really cool in the early morning backlight.

Cop_berter_forest_2.JPG.1efd166177b035f4

Cop_berter_juvenile.JPG.65d49822ba06f088

Cop_berter_juveniles.JPG.9afab4404ff6780

• Upvote 2

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Thanks Mike. I remember this habitat well that day. :lol:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On 7/1/2016, 11:25:43, Stevetoad said:

That's like saying Ceroxylon is a bum genus cuz they are so slow and i can't grow them... 

• 2 weeks later...

In the shade so the trunk is not as fat as it could be but stunning still!

falla2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Last shot is of that shimmer in the leaf that no other genus can rival.

falla3.jpg

Andrew, Copernicia's are certainly in a "league" of their own in the "Palmate" Palms, pity the shots are a bit dark and hidden, :huh:  and once your Tahina starts trunking you may change your thoughts re  "no other genus can rival" ??  even if Tahina is Costapalmate, but I agree the" shimmer" on the ends of the leaflets on many  Copernicia  is "outstanding"/ almost dreamy when you just stare at them.  Pete   .:)

• Upvote 1