IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

As promised, a new Copernicia thread.

Mandrew968

On 6/30/2016, 2:45:29, Palm Tree Jim said:

Wow.....how old?

i guess  not  more than 4  years mine is very fast growing

Such droolworthy pics! I can only dream.

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Shimmer... That's a great way to describe seeing the leaf edges in person. There really isn't anything like it. I just wish photos could totally capture it. 

DSC_0615.thumb.JPG.b056f42c7a32ac574c79c

Bismarkia behind for comparison 

DSC_0620.thumb.JPG.1de945808cf3928af07db

Andrew I'm normally not a fan of rigida but that blue one is awesome

• Upvote 3

Ok, this one's for Pete. Baileyana is no second rate palm, just to clarify to viewers...

bailey1.jpg

• Upvote 4

This palm is very fast! I recently trimmed it up and I am not a fan of trimming, but it came out ok.

bailey3.jpg

• Upvote 1

And of course, gigas. The first palm I planted in my garden and it had two leaves back in 2010. My neighbor's grass fertilizer is making it a little lighter colored than I would like, but maybe I just need to trim 4 or 5 limbs...

gigas.jpg

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Ok, this one's for Pete. Baileyana is no second rate palm, just to clarify to viewers...

bailey1.jpg

Hard to believe anyone could feel that way, baileyana is so unique, one of my absolute favorites.

On 6/30/2016, 11:31:24, Mandrew968 said:

Here is a close up shot of the base.

falla1.jpg

r u sure its not baileyana? my bailey  looks just like this with yellow stripe up the petiole

12 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

bailey1.jpg

Great shots Andrew, Baileyana is an "Awesome" Copernicia.. :greenthumb: topwater, I "Love" C Baileyana, I have only 1 and its showing some trunk as well, but mine is green,not the far better looking Grey as above.. Im sure  Andrew is talking about speed of growth which isnt slow.  Richie , yrs would be showing some wood by now too no doubt ?  Pete:) 

Rick, I think you captured the "Shimmer" very well in both your shots :greenthumb: 

DSC_0615.thumb.JPG.b056f42c7a32ac574c79c

• Upvote 1

Great Copernicia's Andrew , love your baileyana , similar size to mine , yes Pete mines starting to get some wood now . This pics from March last year .

01cc0cfcefb71dfc6ebd2987397d2f0639df0bd9

• Upvote 2

Thought I'd better take 2 pics below Ritchies, yes its no where near as good looking as the Grey/Silver in Andrews pic but heres our 1 and only Bailey, your is loonk'n   "Greyt" :)  Richie.   Pete.

17 minutes ago, Richie said:

Great Copernicia's Andrew , love your baileyana , similar size to mine , yes Pete mines starting to get some wood now . This pics from March last year .

01cc0cfcefb71dfc6ebd2987397d2f0639df0bd9

004.thumb.JPG.516c256d70f95ca7d127cf49ee

001.thumb.JPG.ebe94d552d1428f4544fd5e695

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful palms Andrew!

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

13 hours ago, velutina said:

Found the update! Your palms are amazing! What's the soil like in your area? 

My soil is dark sand for about a foot, then it is oolite. I try to keep to Caribbean stuff in my backyard(front is completely amended rich soil) or I develop bad nutritional issues--bismarckia doesn't even like it, but my Coccos are some of the nicest I have seen.

All very awesome. Wish I could grow them. I have to make do with Copernicia alba. Are they grown much in Florida? Would like to see some pics of them.

2 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

My soil is dark sand for about a foot, then it is oolite. I try to keep to Caribbean stuff in my backyard(front is completely amended rich soil) or I develop bad nutritional issues--bismarckia doesn't even like it, but my Coccos are some of the nicest I have seen.

How did you amend the soil in the front yard? I'm moving into a house that supposedly has "fine hallandale sand" which I'm guessing i'll need to heavily amend. I'm looking for good sources of good-quality compost in Broward. I'll need multiple truckloads i'm sure. 

https://soilseries.sc.egov.usda.gov/OSD_Docs/H/HALLANDALE.html

Adam 

• 1 month later...

What got me to take pics was that the cut petiole bases are starting to flare out. This is a sign of the trunk swelling.

cope2.jpg

Last pic. When I first got into collecting, the consensus was that palm trunks do not get bigger, once the trunk is made. I now see that there are exceptions to this, and Copernicia baileyana is one--especially when it is first starting to trunk. Old trunk will probably not expand.

cope4.jpg

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Mandrew968 said:

Last pic. When I first got into collecting, the consensus was that palm trunks do not get bigger, once the trunk is made. I now see that there are exceptions to this, and Copernicia baileyana is one--especially when it is first starting to trunk. Old trunk will probably not expand.

cope4.jpg

She's a Beauty, is that crushed coral  the base  Andrew  ?