IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus schizophylla x Syagrus romanzoffiana Super parrot.

ErikSJI

2 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

How about a Schizo-Roman? Sounds like a crazy gladiator.

Sounds legit.

Good Job :greenthumb:

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

• 6 months later...

Erik,

When your Syagrus × montgomeryana becomes available will you post an ad in the "For Sale" section?  I didn't see any mention of these on your website so I'm wondering if that will be updated in the future as well if you're continuing to make this hybrid?  From what I've read these are mostly sterile and produce significantly less fruit than S. romanzoffiana - do they keep the trait of the thorny petioles from the S. schizophylla?  They look great and I'd like to try them.  I hope your germination rate is better this year - I guess by now you should have some idea.

Jon

Jon Sunder

I got 2 from Jungle Music in SD.  They're rockets here in the AZ.  Don't even bronze in my full sun, all day hell strip.  Tough, beautiful and fast.  I'm really impressed with them.    

• 2 years later...

Hey Palm Folks: I've enjoyed reading this  thread.  I'm always seeking new palms for my collection here in North Florida.  Please clarify: I've heard that the coco-queen palm was S. roman. x S.  schizophylla, with the S. Rom. being the seed parent. Is this cross also available?

Has this cross ever been, or can it be, crossed with Butia odorata? or any butia species? 

2 hours ago, Dartolution said:

Has this cross ever been, or can it be, crossed with Butia odorata? or any butia species? 

Check out Erik's thread from February 28 - it's still at the bottom of page one of this forum.  Butia odorata x Syagrus schizophylla grows about half the speed as this coconut queen cross.

Jon Sunder

19 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Check out Erik's thread from February 28 - it's still at the bottom of page one of this forum.  Butia odorata x Syagrus schizophylla grows about half the speed as this coconut queen cross.

@Fusca 

I am asking specifically about Syagrus schizophylla X Syagrus romanzoffiana X Butia odorata, not Butia odorata x Syagrus schizophylla.

4 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@Fusca 

I am asking specifically about Syagrus schizophylla X Syagrus romanzoffiana X Butia odorata, not Butia odorata x Syagrus schizophylla.

Sorry, I misunderstood.  Interesting cross but I think the Butia x S. schizopylla is still new.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Sorry, I misunderstood.  Interesting cross but I think the Butia x S. schizopylla is still new.

Thats okay. 

So no one has attempted this cross? I would love to see this. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@ErikSJI @Ben in Norcal Merry Christmas to you both, hope you are well.

I was sold these 2 palms as Coco Queens, at the time I had not heard the term so thought they were pure Queen Palms (Syagrus Romanzoffiana)

Reading your thread I am now wondering if they are infact, Syagrus schizphylla x Syagrus Romanzoffiana, aka as Coco Queen, Super parrots, Syagrus × montgomeryana or S. coronata X S. romanzoffianum. Would you be able to take an educated guess from the photos attached?

IMG_7397.JPG

IMG_7395.JPG

I would say they sold you the correct palm.  (Syagrus Romanzoffiana)  The Syagrus × montgomeryana have the pronounced flat plane leaflet characteristic.  Look at the pics further back in this thread.

On 12/24/2021 at 6:33 AM, Jamil Habib said:

@ErikSJI @Ben in Norcal Merry Christmas to you both, hope you are well.

I was sold these 2 palms as Coco Queens, at the time I had not heard the term so thought they were pure Queen Palms (Syagrus Romanzoffiana)

Reading your thread I am now wondering if they are infact, Syagrus schizphylla x Syagrus Romanzoffiana, aka as Coco Queen, Super parrots, Syagrus × montgomeryana or S. coronata X S. romanzoffianum. Would you be able to take an educated guess from the photos attached?

IMG_7397.JPG

IMG_7395.JPG

Yes, regular queens/not coco queens.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37