IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii

Tommy83

Hi everyone,

I am new registered on the forum and I'm happy to be a member of your great community!

I'm living in Southern France, Côte d'Azur in zone USDA 9b-10a. For months now, I'm looking for big Beccariophoenix alfredii specimens (min. 30 gallons) for my garden. I know some of you guys have nurseries in USA (California, Florida) that have that species in production but not sure about such big size. Websites I could find have max. 15 gallons (probably for transport reasons).  However, it would be great if you have good addresses that can ship such big  30 gal. beccarios to Europe.

Thank you very much for your help!

They grow fast, so why bother with big ones?

Also they haven't been available long enough and in large enough quantities to find potted 30g ones for sale I think

• Upvote 1

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Tommy:

Wilkommen! Bonjour! Howdy!

I'm with Kostas. Get some babies and plant them. I have some that started about 0.5 M about 8 years ago and are now about 3 - 4 M. tall.

Meantime, maybe you'll find a big one, plant it too.

If you're in 10a, they should do well for you; your climate is like mine in La Habra, CA USA.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

just put a nice 5 gal in the ground and watch it blow up

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Trying to buy the biggest one isn't worth it in my opinion. I've bought several 1g and 5g alfredii that seem to be catching up and will probably outgrow a 15g one I planted around the same time.

Plus it's risky. When having a palm delivered because they might get root damage and die. Better to order several of young ones and plant them in sunny locations with plenty of water.

Thanks guys for your answers. I already have 6 of them bougth last year (15 gallons). I just wanted to make a test with bigger specimens for cold tolerance. But you are right, the beccarios grow very fast and I can expect to have 3-4 meters in 2 years ! I will send some pictures of mine tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

HelIo Gyuseppe, it's in Carqueiranne, a coastal city at  5miles from Hyères, in the Var region.

Pictures, please!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Magnifique!

Bonjour Tommy,

Tu postes sur lesfousdepalmiers?

Ciao ^_^

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

On 6/27/2016, 10:57:19, Tommy83 said:

Thanks guys for your answers. I already have 6 of them bougth last year (15 gallons). I just wanted to make a test with bigger specimens for cold tolerance. But you are right, the beccarios grow very fast and I can expect to have 3-4 meters in 2 years ! I will send some pictures of mine tomorrow.

I love it when people follow my advice before I even give it! :)

• Upvote 1

I really don't find these to be very fast.  I wonder if I am doing something wrong!!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

25 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I really don't find these to be very fast.  I wonder if I am doing something wrong!!

Water.  Lots and lots of water.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gilles06 said:

Bonjour Tommy,

Tu postes sur lesfousdepalmiers?

Ciao ^_^

Bonjour Gilles, non je ne suis pas inscrit sur le forum des Fous de Palmier, bien que je fut membre de l'association il y a au moins 18 ans (j'étais aussi membre de Manureva d'Alain Jamet). Je devais avoir à l'époque 14 ans:). Mais je m'inscrirai dans les prochains jours sur le site des fous pour poster quelques photos... A bientôt^_^ 

Yeah they are not that fast for me. But not slow either... I really regret not doing this sooner though! :)

Full_Size_Render.jpg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, enigma99 said:

Yeah they are not that fast for me. But not slow either... I really regret not doing this sooner though! :)

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Wow!

18 hours ago, Tommy83 said:

Bonjour Gilles, non je ne suis pas inscrit sur le forum des Fous de Palmier, bien que je fut membre de l'association il y a au moins 18 ans (j'étais aussi membre de Manureva d'Alain Jamet). Je devais avoir à l'époque 14 ans:). Mais je m'inscrirai dans les prochains jours sur le site des fous pour poster quelques photos... A bientôt^_^ 

ce sera un plaisir de voir des photos de tes palmiers.

See you....

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

On Wed Jun 29 2016 10:49:20 GMT-0700, enigma99 said:

Full_Size_Render.jpg

What are you planning? :yay:

a tropical coconut grove I hope??

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Hey Tommy. It's so cool that you're trying this in France. I wish you all the very best growing your coconut lookalike grove in France. Let us know how your plants get on. I have been surprised how well this species has done for me at 35S, but if they do well in France that's just awesome. :)

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Welcome to palmtalk! ^_^

i am growing this sp at 40N, Portugal, and i also dont find these being fast growers at 5gal stage.

and no way 3/4 mts in 2 years in my opinion :o

1 hour ago, Rafael said:

Welcome to palmtalk! ^_^

i am growing this sp at 40N, Portugal, and i also dont find these being fast growers at 5gal stage.

The same here,38N Spain. It is not very fast.

May be when it will be bigger, it will be faster.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rafael said:

Welcome to palmtalk! ^_^

Hi Rafael, I have probably been optimistic for 3/4 mts in 2 years. In fact, I don't know at all how big they will be. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Hey Tommy. It's so cool that you're trying this in France. I wish you all the very best growing your coconut lookalike grove in France. Let us know how your plants get on. I have been surprised how well this species has done for me at 35S, but if they do well in France that's just awesome. :)

Hi Tyrone, thanks. It has been 1 year that I have those beccarios and no problem with last winter cold. Sure, I will let you know how they grow here in France. Do you have pictures of yours? My Best 

2 hours ago, Tommy83 said:

Hi Tyrone, thanks. It has been 1 year that I have those beccarios and no problem with last winter cold. Sure, I will let you know how they grow here in France. Do you have pictures of yours? My Best 

That is simply awesome that they've gone through a winter already with no damage in France. What mins did they take?? 

I'm long overdue to take some pics here. We are in the middle of winter and it's raining today. I'll see if it fines up this afternoon.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

13 hours ago, Tyrone said:

That is simply awesome that they've gone through a winter already with no damage in France. What mins did they take?? 

I'm long overdue to take some pics here. We are in the middle of winter and it's raining today. I'll see if it fines up this afternoon.

No frost this winter, the temperature didn't go below 0°C in my area. We had a very warm winter. Usually min. I can have is -2°C (1 or 2 night per year) because I am by the seaside.

4 hours ago, Tommy83 said:

No frost this winter, the temperature didn't go below 0°C in my area. We had a very warm winter. Usually min. I can have is -2°C (1 or 2 night per year) because I am by the seaside.

also here no frost this winter, the temperature didn't go below  0 degrees  celsius,but winters here sometimes have  -2 or -3 degrees Celsius (1 or 2 night per year)

Some years ago, I did  some Beccariophoenix alfredii  from  seed, have lived for 2/3 winters, but eventually died

GIUSEPPE

Tommy, what sort of winter maximums do you average?

• 3 weeks later...