IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone has experience with Rhoeo in Southern California?

Panamajack

Hey fellas, no palm issues as of now, but wondering if anyone has experience with Rhoeo (Tradescantia Spathacea) in Southern California? I just planted 12 of them around some palms (far enough so they dont get watered with the palms, I know Rhoeo likes it dry).

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

Rhoeo loves to be moist in summer, drier during the cooler months. If they are to wet in winter they drop leaves and risk going mushy even in frost free locations. They can look a bit yuck by the end of winter but quickly rejuvenates with spring warmth.

I see it occasionally in SoCal, tho with decreasing frequency. Probably best near coast with additional humidity, few frosts. Peacocks will mow to the ground.

Don't know if the tricolor sterile hybrids common in SoFla will make it in SoCal for long?

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I am 6 miles from the coast in Southern California. I have some in the ground and some in pots.  The ones in the ground just had the bed all redone with this addition of chicken manure and a top coat of composted mulch.  This combined with some additional shade thanks to a growing palm, has made it look good and grow strong this year.

Btw, it's been in the ground at least 4 years which is when we bought the place.

pics! ?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I tried it in my old San Diego garden near the coast.  It survived but got smaller and smaller every year (tricolor form).  I had put it in rather poor soil, which didn't help.  If the soil had been properly amended and fertilized, it might have done better.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

2 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

pics! ?

For you Bill. Just noticed my variegated form is getting eaten.  Rabbits I suspect. 

20160626_172105.jpg

20160626_172251.jpg

Thanks, everyone. I'm in Palos Verdes, about two blocks from the ocean (on a cliff), I've never experienced a frost here so cold temps are going to be a problem, maybe during the winter months too much rain will, I guess we'll see.  I have clay soil with surprisingly good drainage, but clay nonetheless. They are in part sun. 

Hammer, I used to have Rhoeo in pots when I used to live in Santa Monica. They grew beautifully, then I left on vacation for a few weeks and when I came back they had been completely eaten by large, fat grubs. I mean they ate them down to the stem. They were just stumps. I never replaced them until now in my new place I decided to put some on the ground because I love how tropical they look. 

I will keep you guys posted on their progress or death. 

Edited by Panamajack

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

Thanks Adam!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It's very widely grown in San Diego, CA.  I've seen giant clumps in front of Apartment building here.  It's a very easy and drought-tolerant plant to grow in southern California.  

I've even seen it growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area outside as a ground cover. 

I have a clump that tends to die back in winter and then comes back in spring. It's commonly called "Moses in a boat" or "Moses in the cradle".

This is my clump. Two years in the same place. Loves water in summer and hates it in winter. It is a strong wrower and in my frost free area, always is green. 

The worst is in March, after the winter, but with a few warm days, recover fast.

IMG-20160702-WA0012.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 4 years later...