IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Rope Cactus

edric

Got a piece of this off a buddy's fence back in '95' or '96' it likes this spot, Ed

rcIMG_0034.jpg

rcIMG_0040.jpg

rcIMG_0041.jpg

rcIMG_0044.jpg

rcIMG_0046.jpg

• Upvote 7

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Your "new" camera is taking great shots Ed, this cactus in flower is glorious.

Pete  :)

rcIMG_0046.jpg

Dang junior, looks like you're all decorated for Christmas! That's really...really cool. Piggybacking on Pete's comment, what kinda camera're you using. The petal detail's exquisite.

What temp does this one start burning in the cold?

Edited by Opal92

Thanks guys, Greg, it's a Canon Powershot sx410 IS, 40x optical zoom, with the lens fully extended it measures 5 inches or 12.7 cm, but in all fairness I was shaking so bad it wouldn't allow a focused picture, so I took all the photos to Irfanveiw, and had to edit the to get them back in focus, I just went outside (5:00 AM ) and was going to use the tripod , but they are all closed up, I think  they just open once each, or is it twice? does anyone have any info on this species of cacti, it's verr cold hardy cause it's still there after 4 hours @ 25 degrees F. or -4.88 C. for three nights in a row, in 12/10, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Ed, it's Selenicereus pteranthus. Where you live 25 degrees is about it's limit. Four days at that temp is a good sign. I had one years ago that bloomed in the wee hours but started to take over too much. They are an aggressive species. The scent of the flowers as I remember was fantastic.

Thanks for sharing, I've seen these around Tampa but I wasn't too sure what they were.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

After seeing these pictures I am convinced that the "thing" in my seedling area that is climbing the walls is some variation of one of these.  Explains a lot, actually. 

Do they fruit?  Like a Dragon Fruit?

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."