IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum

Jeff in St Pete

On July 6, 2016 at 11:39:03 AM, Zeeth said:

I've tried but I never seem to get there at the right time. I think that they're old enough to be viable if gotten at the right time though. 

One thing I noticed when I lived in Costa Rica is that Attalea seeds can take up to a year (or possibly longer) to germinate.  The seeds would fall to the ground and lay there for almost a year until they turned black.  Then they would all start germinating around the same time.  I never saw fresh seeds germinate.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Hi Jeff,  Great shots as usual  :greenthumb:  The below pics is a flowering  Chambeyronia macro var Hookerii and wow, the Beccariophoenix madagascariensis has grown since Keith posted it a few yrs ago . All best  Pete :)                                                                                DSC_2767.thumb.JPG.c4f5302a5aa368a6323c8

DSC_2766.thumb.JPG.de814241a04c69a6db02d

DSC_2744.thumb.JPG.a9b215068596b77199c0e

• Upvote 1

Jeff -  Thanks for the nice pics of GKPA.  We are always adding some new palms or cycads - 9 new Zamias yesterday. 

To the best of my knowledge, Kopsick is the largest FREE palm and cycad arboretum in the Western hemisphere.  ...and we are always in need of volunteers.

Phil

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2016, 10:56:51, Jeff in St Pete said:

Satakentia liukiuensis

DSC_2764.thumb.JPG.bdd28ae6f1a021fc5f4e0

Not sure what this is

DSC_2766.thumb.JPG.de814241a04c69a6db02d

DSC_2767.thumb.JPG.c4f5302a5aa368a6323c8

Livistona chinensis and Roystonea regia 

DSC_2768.thumb.JPG.8239645cb4b0601cb8237

I was at Kopsick on Friday with my father, admiring all of the new additions.  We were speculating as to whether the botanical garden intends to complete the name tags to ID the palms, cycads and other tropicals, since there are a ton missing (not added yet or vandalism?).

Unfortunately, no coconuts were on the ground (eighth visit in a row with no luck there), and it was super busy, due to a swim meet at the adjacent water park.

I wanted to venture a guess as to the ID of the unidentified palm in photos two and three of the quoted post.  I actually stood by this palm for several minutes trying to figure it out and also determine if the seeds are close to ripening.  Could this palm be Chambeyronia hookeri or Chambeyronia houailou?  Looking at some online photos, it especially looks like the latter.  Any thoughts?

Finally, at Kopsick between the street and the sidewalk by the parking area, there is at least one very large yellow flowering tree.  Looks sort of like a royal poinciana, but I am not sure it is a yellow royal poinciana.  Does anybody know?

30 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

I was at Kopsick on Friday with my father, admiring all of the new additions.  We were speculating as to whether the botanical garden intends to complete the name tags to ID the palms, cycads and other tropicals, since there are a ton missing (not added yet or vandalism?).

Unfortunately, no coconuts were on the ground (eighth visit in a row with no luck there), and it was super busy, due to a swim meet at the adjacent water park.

I wanted to venture a guess as to the ID of the unidentified palm in photos two and three of the quoted post.  I actually stood by this palm for several minutes trying to figure it out and also determine if the seeds are close to ripening.  Could this palm be Chambeyronia hookeri or Chambeyronia houailou?  Looking at some online photos, it especially looks like the latter.  Any thoughts?

Finally, at Kopsick between the street and the sidewalk by the parking area, there is at least one very large yellow flowering tree.  Looks sort of like a royal poinciana, but I am not sure it is a yellow royal poinciana.  Does anybody know?

That giant tree closest to the enterence of the Park ( by the pool ) , and others near it are Peltophorum .. Likely dubium though if you walk north of the Tennis Courts, there is at least one Pelt. pterocarpum planted among other trees on that side of the Park. Looks like the Copernicia Albas are loaded with seed again this year.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

I was at Kopsick on Friday with my father, admiring all of the new additions.  We were speculating as to whether the botanical garden intends to complete the name tags to ID the palms, cycads and other tropicals, since there are a ton missing (not added yet or vandalism?)

There's been a lot of vandalism in the past...

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Silas, thank you for the ID.  I can now add a correct name tag to my new seedling:D.

RedRabbit, I also suspected vandalism, but hoped that wasn't the main reason.  Such a shame that occurs in such a magnificent arboretum open to the public.  They have recently added several large royals, as well as other impressive palms and cycads.  I was glad to see the tucked away taller Licuala grandis looking fairly healthy considering it is not in deep S. Florida.

I still think that unidentified feather leaf is some type of Chambeyronia.  Either that, or a much rarer species from New Caledonia or somewhere like that(?).  I really have no idea!

3 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Silas, thank you for the ID.  I can now add a correct name tag to my new seedling:D.

RedRabbit, I also suspected vandalism, but hoped that wasn't the main reason.  Such a shame that occurs in such a magnificent arboretum open to the public.  They have recently added several large royals, as well as other impressive palms and cycads.  I was glad to see the tucked away taller Licuala grandis looking fairly healthy considering it is not in deep S. Florida.

I still think that unidentified feather leaf is some type of Chambeyronia.  Either that, or a much rarer species from New Caledonia or somewhere like that(?).  I really have no idea!

Will,
  You should have no problems with the seedling.. Peltophorium grow quite fast, especially if you keep bumping it into a bigger container until ready to go in the ground. I think Eric ( in Orlando) had mentioned a few times that P. dubium was/ might still be? a fairly popular street tree around older parts of Orlando. There were several massive specimens id pass along the route i regularly took between work in Sarasota and the house in Bradenton. Quite the sight when in full Bloom. While i have adequate seed from the tree at Kopsick, i never got a chance to collect off the trees back in Sarasota before we moved.

As far as the challenges Kopsick has had with keeping labels labeled.. I can remember the first time i walked the park in '10. Can't remember seeing as many missing as i saw when i returned in 2013.

Having spent quite a few Saturday or Sunday mornings up there while in Bradenton, it was apparent someone was defacing sign covers, or ripping off the labels entirely. Id also occasionally find various items scattered under Palms in the Park, especially near where the Foxy ladies/Veitchia Grove is. While things of that nature come with the territory, what really alarmed me was seeing a hole dug next to one of the really Blue Encephalartos which had been installed when Dr. Young's collection had been relocated while checking on seed and getting more pictures one day. It is acts like this that cast grey clouds over the unquestionable value a place like this represents.

Curious if anyone knows how the Kerriodoxa hidden near the grove of Cryosophila  has been doing. Last time i saw it back in Feb. before we left town, it wasn't looking too good.

• 1 year later...
On 6/15/2016, 9:42:56, Jeff in St Pete said:

I recently spent a morning at our local palm arboretum in St Petersburg, FL.  I posted some pics on the IPS Facebook page, but thought I would post all of them here.  It's a beautiful place located on the waterfront among other public spaces which include several different parks, a swimming pool, tennis courts, a beach, jogging/biking paths, a Pier, and plenty of free parking.  I first visited the arboretum in 1994 and have watched it evolve and grow over the years.  It's a must see for palm enthusiasts visiting the Tampa Bay area.  It's open every day and it's free of charge.  For more information click here http://www.stpeteparksrec.org/gizella-kopsick-arboretum.html

New Chambeyronia leaf, Sabal uresana, and Bren in front of an Attalea sp.

DSC_2719.thumb.JPG.f2711ee62f027a61033faDSC_2722.thumb.JPG.171f97fbedeab84e7682dDSC_2727.thumb.JPG.3e4f56d45e52f12e2b054

Nice pictures of the Arboretum, Jeff.

On 6/15/2016, 11:02:13, Jeff in St Pete said:

Coccothrinax crinita losing their "beards"

DSC_2773.thumb.JPG.585bfd563d78b79f2f091

DSC_2772.thumb.JPG.b4dc5ca09549c0c406375

Foxy Lady

DSC_2775.thumb.JPG.fe315b2e9797eb2af33a1

Acoelorrhaphe wrightii

DSC_2779.thumb.JPG.113ea6bd0ef332ee06568

I have never seen crinita lose thier beards like that. Is it normal? I've seen photos of them much taller with full beards but never with a smooth exposed trunk like these. Thanks for any info as I'm just learning this amazing palm. 

17 hours ago, Jupiter1 said:

I have never seen crinita lose thier beards like that. Is it normal? I've seen photos of them much taller with full beards but never with a smooth exposed trunk like these. Thanks for any info as I'm just learning this amazing palm. 

It probably works like hair loss in old Trachycarpus fortunei or boot loss in Sabals or Washingtonias, in (all  for different palms at different times) which the loss happens.

I am guessing that it takes Coccothrinax crinita's a long time to shed their beards, just as it takes a long time for Trachycarpus fortunei to shed its hair, and this is why there are so few palms that have been seen shedding.

• Upvote 1

• 5 years later...
On 6/16/2016 at 12:27 AM, Jeff in St Pete said:

DSC_2953.thumb.JPG.13f7ca633c33c399c501f

Do you have an ID for this Syagrus?