IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

lets talk about the forum.....

trioderob

:D Good Q, Rob, No new trends, and PT in general seems to be fading away,IMO, does everyone use F/book instead? Its certainly attracted many that can grow some palms in cold climates. I dislike folk that "get" the answer they are after and dont reply, maybe they  think they are a higher rank being a Yank ??  Pete  :)

• Upvote 1

I tried to get a guy who had posted a question on a Facebook general gardening page about a huge Howea forsteriana that he had transplanted to join this forum. He said he'd had a look but didn't feel it was for him. I think he was overwhelmed by all the information that can be found on PT. I also think he didn't like have to sort through threads that went slightly  off topic. I did tell him that it would be better to join and post the question and share a few pics of his tall Howea transplant. I try to get people to join when ever they show any interest in palms.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, trioderob said:

has the forum grown in the last 6 years ?

any new trends ?

Yes it has grown: :greenthumb: I joined 2 years ago. :lol:

Any new trends? Yeah: Labeled Germination, adjacent or remote (as far as Germany)! :floor:

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

I'm not aware of a real alternative to PT. PT isn't perfect, but it is currently the best palm forum out there.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Interesting question, actually.

Which begs many more: what trends? What trends matter?

Growth in membership for sure, but not sure how it squares with previous growth rate.

Are we getting more members who are active? What's the rate of members who join then "lurk"?

And, uber alles, how many members of PT join the IPS? (Or another palm society?)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I think PT is great...I check in most every day but don't always offer banal responses to topics i don't know much about. I've learned alot and I note there are alot of new users. I think the trend is people participate for a while then watch for a while...where is paulgila?

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

I think what we should be asking is how PT could be improved upon. How could what currently exists be improved? What would you all want to see that PT doesn't offer? 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

:D Good Q, Rob, No new trends, and PT in general seems to be fading away,IMO, does everyone use F/book instead? Its certainly attracted many that can grow some palms in cold climates. I dislike folk that "get" the answer they are after and dont reply, maybe they  think they are a higher rank being a Yank ??  Pete  :)

Over the years, I have tended to use FB more and more, as opposed to my use of PT which as been less and less.   There are several reasons, some I won't discuss here, but in general I see PT as a place for palm purist and FB as a more generally interested group.   If I need specific information about a palm, I am likely to come here, but if I just want to talk gardening and share with gardeners, I do that on FB.   FB allows me to be more of a whole person as well, as opposed to Ohana Nui which is limited in scope of discussion.  I'll always use both.  I joined IPS and donate to PT directly as well, so I do care about it, but as far as daily usage, I am guessing it is 20 to 1, FB vs PT.   And I don't see that changing in a PT direction.

Note - The huge missed opportunity I see on PT is to broaden the focus to the whole tropical lifestyle, to embrace a way of life, not a specific family of plants.  Yes, I know we have Tropical Looking Plants and Ohana Nui, but they are sidebars and there is much to nothing about tropical oriented landscapes, hardscapes, and lifestyles.  This is a miss in my opinion, but others, probably the majority of leadership want to keep the hard focus on palms.   And it is The International Palm Society and PalmTalk, so that I understand.   My biggest fear is that if we stay that way, as was said in another post, that IPS and later PT will just slowly fade away over the years.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

tropical oriented landscapes….

1. I am Palmtalk addict though I am french speaking ( or sinhalese…)
2. I am faithful to Palmtalk (no other forum or FB)

But yes, tropical garden design and architecture could be a interesting sub forum.
Until now I posted pics of srilankan gardens I visit ( Lunuganga, Brief Garden…) in travel logs.
But in tropical USA, Hawaii, Australia, Asia and central America, I am sure there are many gardens and landscape designs which could interest many.

I personally find that it's not so easy to know how to plant and associate palm species in an other way than rows on the lawn (when someone begins).
Tropical gardens (I already mentioned Made Wijaya's work) or some australian or hawaiian gardens show nice examples how to associate other plants; 
bromeliads, gingers, Heliconias…), I think some landscape designers or contractors are already on Palmtalk, but I am not sure they mention their work here.

I wish that IPS and later PT will NEVER just slowly fade away.

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

The only difference per se is the experience when viewing from a phone.  I don't normally like mobile versions of websites and I use my phone to browse a lot! But having said that and despite some options not being active from a phone I think the mobile version is pretty good!

Edited by Howeadypsis

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

PT is my palm go-to now as it was 8.5 years ago when I joined. I don't belong to FB nor do my two sons and my brother. My brother and I are FBI brats and if my father were still alive he would call us fools if we did join FB. We understand the jeopardy people put themselves in.  Although, granted, FB in the 40s, 50s, 60s & 70s would have made his and fellow agents' jobs so much easier. Why pound the pavement when people gush about their every indiscretion & peccadillo on the internet - with photos to boot thank you very much? This country and this world get more dangerous every day. Could some bad guy find me on PT? Well, uh, yeah, but my exposure & risk are so much less. Besides, Mark Zuckerberg has stated he believes no one (except himself & kin) is entitled to any privacy. So, I've made it a point to not make it easy for him to invade mine.

I have noticed that many of the people who were around when I joined PT no longer visit. Some of them might say PT is no longer the same, which is true. I am member #1349. Now there are many 1000s of members. When I joined, increased growth was a rallying cry. Have we grown too large? Do those charter and long time members feel pushed aside? I can't say. But FB is still the greatest and latest for people who follow trends - until it's not. That may be one reason why former posters jumped PT.

Since I haven't joined FB it stands to reason that I haven't visited the FB palm wallboard/billboard yakfest. But I strongly suspect it is an "anything goes" kind of place. PT used to be like that. When I first joined, people got into obscenity-laced screamfests, posted inappropriate photos, boasted about their wife's or girlfriend's plastic enhancements, made sexist remarks, slammed other people over politics and religion. The good ol' boy regulars joked among themselves and ignored everyone else. Not a comfortable place if you're one of the few "chicks" signed up. If I hadn't wanted to learn my palms so badly I might have dropped out. Most women did.

Thanks to our diligent Palm Mod, PT is now much more welcoming to everyone. If I want to hear someone brag, show off, cuss and generally give off bad vibes I can turn on the tv. As I've said over and over, I'm here for palms. I don't give a flying fig about the other stuff. I do wish more of our valuable contributors would check in more often but I gather the FB draw is too great.

• Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

No

Facebook

For

Me

for as long as I can

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Just now, PalmatierMeg said:

PT is my palm go-to now as it was 8.5 years ago when I joined. I don't belong to FB nor do my two sons and my brother. My brother and I are FBI brats and if my father were still alive he would call us fools if we did join FB. We understand the jeopardy people put themselves in.  Although, granted, FB in the 40s, 50s, 60s & 70s would have made his and fellow agents' jobs so much easier. Why pound the pavement when people gush about their every indiscretion & peccadillo on the internet - with photos to boot thank you very much? This country and this world get more dangerous every day. Could some bad guy find me on PT? Well, uh, yeah, but my exposure & risk are so much less. Besides, Mark Zuckerberg has stated he believes no one (except himself & kin) is entitled to any privacy. So, I've made it a point to not make it easy for him to invade mine.

I have noticed that many of the people who were around when I joined PT no longer visit. Some of them might say PT is no longer the same, which is true. I am member #1349. Now there are many 1000s of members. When I joined, increased growth was a rallying cry. Have we grown too large? Do those charter and long time members feel pushed aside? I can't say. But FB is still the greatest and latest for people who follow trends - until it's not. That may be one reason why former posters jumped PT.

Since I haven't joined FB it stands to reason that I haven't visited the FB palm wallboard/billboard yakfest. But I strongly suspect it is an "anything goes" kind of place. PT used to be like that. When I first joined, people got into obscenity-laced screamfests, posted inappropriate photos, boasted about their wife's or girlfriend's plastic enhancements, made sexist remarks, slammed other people over politics and religion. The good ol' boy regulars joked among themselves and ignored everyone else. Not a comfortable place if you're one of the few "chicks" signed up. If I hadn't wanted to learn my palms so badly I might have dropped out. Most women did.

Thanks to our diligent Palm Mod, PT is now much more welcoming to everyone. If I want to hear someone brag, show off, cuss and generally give off bad vibes I can turn on the tv. As I've said over and over, I'm here for palms. I don't give a flying fig about the other stuff. I do wish more of our valuable contributors would check in more often but I gather the FB draw is too great.

A "flying Ficus"? :)

• Upvote 1

Not to mention, the IPS used to have 3,000 in it's membership and NOW it's around 1,000. Things have to change.....

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The facebook page of PT is pretty good actually!

Quiet compared to PT but its cool.

5 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Not to mention, the IPS used to have 3,000 in it's membership and NOW it's around 1,000. Things have to change.....

Wasn't aware of that. Perhaps nowadays people consider joining a "Society" (for *gasp* money no less!) so 20th-century and old fashioned. If that is the case  I don't know what can be done to pique interest in IPS when so many people spend their lives in front of glowing screens for the cost of electricity.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

The forum has seen it's shining accomplishments..and, just my own opinion, some not so glorious moments.. People i have spoken to regarding the forum have varying degrees of both positive and negative opinions as to why they would participate, why they stopped.... or, just chose not to join.  

Agree with Meg that for the most part, our Moderator..and the others who also help moderate in the background, do a pretty good job keeping the forum moving forward and present a place where anyone can come and share their experiences and knowledge regarding palms or other plants they are growing..or, might like to.. On that note..

Before moving along, i just want to make clear that some of my observations are just that.. Nothing is intended to come across in any other way.. Besides, just like an evaluation at work, you learn things/ get further ahead in your career when you aren't afraid of receiving a little constructive criticism. A good Business will fade away like the dinosaurs without any.. People stay in a box when they can't look outside of it, so to say.. Anyway

Like Meg had mentioned, there have been some episodes here that sometimes went a little too sideways.. and i know for certain turned people off to the forum.. and instantly made me slam on the breaks regarding joining the IPS. I have also seen an element of the "you're not in the "in" crowd," so your opinions/threads/info/ contributions don't count.. here occasionally.. That right there can be a huge negative to anyone considering joining our great place of sharing, or any other place like it. People don't want to feel they are back in High School trying to keep up with the "popular kids crowd"  As far as i am concerned, everyone has something to contribute.. not just certain people.. or groups of people. This kind of "snobbery" has tanked other plant groups in the past. No one is above someone else just because they have more experience, a bigger yard, can spend more for... etc. A garden isn't a measuring contest.

While a little witty banter is perfectly normal, expected, and worth a chuckle from time to time, there have been some moments where smart alac remarks in a thread really raised an eyebrow.. Again, absolutely " High School", not very Adult. Like someone had mentioned sometime ago, Don't reply in a thread if you don't have something positive to contribute. On the other hand, sometimes you just got to laugh at things and ignore the "kids" ..unless ofcourse, you are harassed.. pretty sure the law is on your side there..

On the flip side, there isn't a forum quite like PalmTalk.. this is a place where some pretty amazing things have happened.. and we have a good time. It is pretty cool that in one day i can see pictures from a trip to Mexico or Cuba, or pictures from members gardens in Australia, Costa Rica, Hawaii, Madagascar, and down the road in a Phoenix suburb. it is nice to see the goings on in the world outside your own.

As mentioned many times, I always encourage people i meet, co-workers, or friends of mine with a green thumb to browse over the site if they choose to to gain more personal knowledge on a given subject. I always tell them that if they desire, feel free to join and contribute.. no pressure, no distancing myself from if they choose not to join.. To me, Palm Talk is a great place of learning.. for everyone.. Where everyone should feel welcomed if they choose to come on board, no matter how much they know, or how "green behind the ears" they might be.

As far as contributions from some of our greatest, sometimes life gets in the way, things change.. interests can as well but, there are several i also wish weren't so quiet..

As far as where the forum is headed??.. There are areas i do think we could work on, continue improving, change up a bit.. etc.  Would enjoy seeing more Video based threads, a section for all members.. not just those associated with the IPS, in each person's profile where they can showcase picture albums, maybe a video or two.. Perhaps it is there, and i'm oblivious to it (wouldn't be the first time) Also wish our profile picture was a little bigger.. but anyways.

All in all, this is a good place that i believe has a continued bright future as long as things continue upward, and toward the highest achievements possible.

As Jeff stated, IPS membership has been declining for years.  This pattern exists in all plant societies, and all types of affinity groups from cars to quilting.  Symphonies and opera companies are going broke, too, and art museums are challenged to maintain their collections.  It has become a lazy habit to use Google for the brain (yes, I am guilty) and to shun books for electronic information.  Instead of learning things permanently, we look things up, then forget them again.  Instead of getting together with friends, we post on FB and have the illusion of friends. 

I am a FB user, but find myself less interested as time goes on. And I try to be fairly strict with my privacy features, but it feels like FB wants to outwit me on that score.  When I travel, I tend to post on FB -- but I also post more on PalmTalk then, too.  I used to post on PT every day whether I had something to share or not. :rolleyes: These days I have to have something worthwhile to share.

(Edit:  I will copy/paste a little of what I wrote in the other thread, as it is relevant here too.)  "Meg is on the right track with her thoughts -- membership helps support the existence of everything to do with palms.  All of you are here on PalmTalk, which is available to you for free, but it is not really free -- the International Palm Society pays a lot of money to keep it going.  The members who pay their dues are supporting this.  It's true, the math doesn't really work, because actually dues don't even come close to covering the benefits IPS members receive -- PalmTalk, the journal PALMS, access to research, access to IPS travel, funding research, supporting preservation of palm habitat, encouraging awareness of the importance of natural habitat."

Some features on PalmTalk are available to IPS members only, and the reason is to encourage PalmTalkers to help support the forum they love.  Yes, you can hang out here for "free" -- but someone else is paying the bills. IPS offers this to the public to increase education and awareness of palms, but we do hope you love it and appreciate it enough to join someday.

The most recent assessment of the forum shows slower growth in number of participants, but more time spent on PalmTalk by users -- in other words, more depth of usage by those interested in palms -- more searches for information, etc.  This demonstrates the great value of PalmTalk over other social media such as FaceBook.  There is actual information and experience here, and more exchange of information and experience than you will ever find on FB.  It is unique.

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

What's this face page thing folks keep talkin' about? True you can pick up info, good or bad on the net but at a far faster pace than in my early days without. We used a land line phone and face to face interaction, something that still seems more realistic to me.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Kim said:

All of you are here on PalmTalk, which is available to you for free, but it is not really free -- the International Palm Society pays a lot of money to keep it going.  The members who pay their dues are supporting this.  

Does PalmTalk operate at a net loss? It could be run for about $100 per year, but judging by the footer PT uses "Invision Power Services, Inc." so it is probably quite a bit more than $100. Still though, much of the expense should be offset by the advertising. PT really should be self sustaining without any donations.

We do have advertising revenue, but it doesn't cover much really.  We have Google ads and palm-related ads help subsidize the cost, but as I understand it, this web site has a lot of special features (including some security features) that add to the cost.  No way could you get a photo-heavy site like this for $100/month, but Dean would know more about that than me.

The IPS has a new web site in the works -- not to replace PalmTalk, but to improve the main IPS site and present a more cohesive "brand" presence.  The look of PT might change, but it will be the same place.

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On June 23, 2016 at 2:52:10 AM, RedRabbit said:

Does PalmTalk operate at a net loss? It could be run for about $100 per year, but judging by the footer PT uses "Invision Power Services, Inc." so it is probably quite a bit more than $100. Still though, much of the expense should be offset by the advertising. PT really should be self sustaining without any donations.

After many years PalmTalk was close to a break even point - paid for by fund raising and advertising. Much of that was put on hold as we began awaiting the new website. When that is complete, advertising slots and fees can be figured out and soliciting/negotiating can begin again for quality sponsors. 

It should be realized that servers/sites of this size, and software this complex, with constant security and bug patches/upgrades, monitoring, and maintenance do not run themselves. Plus it is a major responsibility to keep pornographers, hackers, scammers, and spammers away. (over 200 try to crash the site every day) I spend about 2 hours a day, during three or more visits to assure things are runnings smoothly, answer user PMs, monitor reports and posts, and screen all new registrants, so as not to have to put up with unsavory experiences - or worse (like a down or damaged site). 

My "salary" for those services are part of PalmTalk's expense. The PalmTalk site (because of all the large photos) is huge - well over 100 GB and growing. All that storage, bandwidth, memory, and "horsepower," plus the additional space to store backups are the other part of the expense. (The Invision software is only a little over $100 a year.)

PalmTalk "could be run for about $100 per year" - IF ONLY - the dedicated managed server to host and backup this large of a site, and serve such high quality photos to so many people without long load times, is itself over $200 a month - and that was a deal.

So that is why your membership would help - why not sign up?

• Upvote 2

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

On 6/23/2016, 1:26:36, Kim said:

supporting preservation of palm habitat

Kim, you mentioned habitat preservation.  What does IPS do in that regard?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

1 hour ago, PALM MOD said:

After many years PalmTalk was close to a break even point - paid for by fund raising and advertising. Much of that was put on hold as we began awaiting the new website. When that is complete, advertising slots and fees can be figured out and soliciting/negotiating can begin again for quality sponsors. 

It should be realized that servers/sites of this size, and software this complex, with constant security and bug patches/upgrades, monitoring, and maintenance do not run themselves. Plus it is a major responsibility to keep pornographers, hackers, scammers, and spammers away. (over 200 try to crash the site every day) I spend about 2 hours a day, during three or more visits to assure things are runnings smoothly, answer user PMs, monitor reports and posts, and screen all new registrants, so as not to have to put up with unsavory experiences - or worse (like a down or damaged site). 

My "salary" for those services are part of PalmTalk's expense. The PalmTalk site (because of all the large photos) is huge - well over 100 GB and growing. All that storage, bandwidth, memory, and "horsepower," plus the additional space to store backups are the other part of the expense. (The Invision software is only a little over $100 a year.)

PalmTalk "could be run for about $100 per year" - IF ONLY - the dedicated managed server to host and backup this large of a site, and serve such high quality photos to so many people without long load times, is itself over $200 a month - and that was a deal.

Its Quite incredible "how many" that post a lot here on PTalk are not a member of the IPS, I think its worth a try, and find it "very fair". that if you are not a member of the IPS  you simply cannot post........Its time to "raise the bar"..    my 2 cents

Pete  :)

Pedro, I understand the sentiment but I feel this will only hasten what is already, as described above, a slow death.  The PalmTalk FB page has 1210 members.   It costs 0$ to run.  No, it is not as good at PT, not by a long shot, but it is the future, and we cannot avoid it.  There are even ways for IPS to make money on FB.  Adaptation is the key to survival.   

• Upvote 2

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

16 minutes ago, _Keith said:

Pedro, I understand the sentiment but I feel this will only hasten what is already, as described above, a slow death.  The PalmTalk FB page has 1210 members.   It costs 0$ to run.  No, it is not as good at PT, not by a long shot, but it is the future, and we cannot avoid it.  There are even ways for IPS to make money on FB.  Adaptation is the key to survival.   

Point taken Keith, Im not a FBooker so Im not up with the times.( was for 2 mnths but the post n comments was way too over the top, so I quickly quit)   I must add though when the "Free Food" Van comes to town for the Poor and needy, 9/10 are there for the "Free" food , pretty discusting imo.  Pete  :mellow:

19 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

Thanks PalmMod, that's very insightful! You do all that for PalmTalk and run Palmpedia.net? You certainly keep busy! :greenthumb:

You mentioned there being a new site planned, can you give us any details on what's in store? 

9 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Thanks PalmMod, that's very insightful! You do all that for PalmTalk and run Palmpedia.net? You certainly keep busy! :greenthumb:

You mentioned there being a new site planned, can you give us any details on what's in store? 

The new IPS Website is promised to have many new features, and a completely new design. It will be primarily the "home port" for the IPS and all it's functions, and be built on the latest and greatest software. Although PalmTalk will be somewhat integrated, it so far has been a separate project - and I have not been involved - so I can't provide any details.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

Its Quite incredible "how many" that post a lot here on PTalk are not a member of the IPS, I think its worth a try, and find it "very fair". that if you are not a member of the IPS  you simply cannot post........Its time to "raise the bar"..    my 2 cents

Pete  :)

A bit heavy handed! I have one palm, a house plant,grown from seed, and no space for any outdoors so I couldnt justify joining the IPS. But I still very much enjoy seeing others posts on here.

40 minutes ago, Howeadypsis said:

A bit heavy handed! I have one palm, a house plant,grown from seed, and no space for any outdoors so I couldnt justify joining the IPS. But I still very much enjoy seeing others posts on here.

Charging for PalmTalk has been discussed and dismissed on numerous occasions. We do provide additional "perks," like better search functions, larger PM mailboxes, and several other advantages for those who are IPS Members. But I would always argue vehemently (and have) for keeping PalmTalk available to everyone interested in palms.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Howeadypsis said:

..A A bit heavy handed! I have one palm, a house plant,grown from seed, and no space for any outdoors so I couldnt justify joining the IPS. But I still very much enjoy seeing others posts on here.

:floor: Heavy handed,      come on,       do yr math,      the British Pound is worth" twice" as much as the Aussie Convict Dollar, and really it doesnt matter if you have 1 or 1 thousand palms.. 1 British pound per fornight is a "Giveaway". If you Enjoy PT so much  and want it to keep moving along stop hiding behind the palm in your pic and become  a proud member of the IPS...      Pete :) 

Edited by Pedro 65
had to add

On June 25, 2016 at 9:58:02 AM, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Kim, you mentioned habitat preservation.  What does IPS do in that regard?

To be announced ... not the right time to divulge the details just yet.  Patience. :)

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

11 hours ago, Kim said:

To be announced ... not the right time to divulge the details just yet.  Patience. :)

Glad to hear its coming!

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I remember I saw two or three years ago a small tag saying : "support Palmtalk" making a donation for Palmtalk very easy.

Why don't we make it again? 

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka