131 posts in this topic

@Pal Meir What soil mix to use, because in my country seramis is not very available? Only one seedling has brown discoloration.

Ok, thanks!

7 minutes ago, Ilovepalm said:

@Pal Meir I have a one question about seramis. What is the difference between Seramis for bonsai, citrus, cacti and orchids? https://allegro.pl/listing?string=seramis&order=m&bmatch=baseline-hou-1-3-0725

Everything is in a product decription, you have 2 original Seramis products on a page you linked. 1 one- Zimmerplfanzen ( for indoor plants) type is clear seramis, and the second one - Orchid has pine bark added. Every other listing on page you provided is either a fetilizer or Westland soil mix which has some part of seramis added to the composition. You can't really require non-polish speaker to translate it for you :)

25 minutes ago, Ilovepalm said:

@Pal Meir I have a one question about seramis. What is the difference between Seramis for bonsai, citrus, cacti and orchids? https://allegro.pl/listing?string=seramis&order=m&bmatch=baseline-hou-1-3-0725

What you do need is only pure Seramis®.

https://allegro.pl/seramis-podloze-granulat-do-roslin-domowych-7-5l-i7465037427.html

Other components as pine bark, LECA, or Kokohum® you can add by your own if required.

I ask, because I have never had this granulate and do not know it. Thank you for the advice.

Here are two of mine, I don't know why they are growing so slow though.. I killed one by accident by placing it in the sunnier place, it seems to only grow in a room where there's no direct sunlight. These two are about 12 months old grown from seed. I don't know what I am doing wrong! Any suggestions?

3.jpg

33.jpg

30 minutes ago, Donatasgem said:

Here are two of mine, I don't know why they are growing so slow though.. I killed one by accident by placing it in the sunnier place, it seems to only grow in a room where there's no direct sunlight. These two are about 12 months old grown from seed. I don't know what I am doing wrong! Any suggestions?

Repot your palms as soon as possible into smaller pots with a well draining soil mix consisting of 2/3 pine bark (≤1cm) and 1/3 Seramis®. (Later when the palms are bigger use a mix with 2/4 pine bark + 1/4 Seramis® + 1/4 LECA (fine) + LECA as bottom layer..) Be extremely careful not disturbing/breaking the roots when removing the old (±soggy) soil!

For small pots:

5b72dc36d655b_SoilMix2017-06-04P1030702.

For bigger pots:

5b72dc3e832cb_SoilLweddellIMG_908081.thu

Roots of a smaller L wedd (N°1308):

5b72dc493ac97_N13082017-07-23IMG_930710.

Roots of a bigger L wedd (N°1301):

5b72dc500077a_N13012016-08-23IMG_8945.th

Thank you for your response. I will have to repot them but will have to buy some suitable soil then as I haven't got any of that. I have not actually seen it in the UK so will have to have a look :) How quick are they supposed to be growing? Should they be much bigger after 12 months from a seed? thank you!

6 minutes ago, Donatasgem said:

Thank you for your response. I will have to repot them but will have to buy some suitable soil then as I haven't got any of that. I have not actually seen it in the UK so will have to have a look :) How quick are they supposed to be growing? Should they be much bigger after 12 months from a seed? thank you!

There is no suitable soil you can buy. You have to make your own mix. If you love your palms you should look in the internet for a seller. — The size of your palms is not the problem. The problem is the coming winter or dark season.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Lytocaryum weddellianum as Bonsai
      By Pal Meir
      My 10 Lytocaryum weddellianum grown up from seed in 2013 were more and more getting too tall  for my desktop, except one (N°1306c) which I had kept quite small by very brutal  root pruning. (But even the other pruned palm N°1306a is growing too tall …)
      Now I am intending to keep my 3 one year young L batavum as small bonsai palms. First, I will keep them as long as possible in their tiny Ø8xH9cm clay pots. Second, I will expose them also to direct sunlight, but watching that they don’t get burned. 
      @Jamesasb , you have mentioned (and posted a pic) one year ago that you are making one of your L weddellianum to a bonsai. Are there already visible and positive results? 
      Here the desktop-sized N°1306c:

And here the 3 new bonsai candidates:

• The Lyto which would not grow bigger
      By Pal Meir
      This is the story of the weakest of ten Lytocaryum weddellianum seedlings.
      In 2013 all other seeds germinated between April 01 and 26, only one small seed germinated much later on May 8 after 49 days (cf. pic #1).  And this seedling N°1308 would not grow like its siblings and stayed small though it was the only single seedling which was planted since the beginning in a large Ø12xH12 cm clay pot (cf. pic #2).  (The other five singles N°1301 to N°1305 had only tiny Ø8xH9cm clay pots.) So I checked the roots and was very worried (pic #3).  The soil mix could not be the the reason because the other Lyto weddells were planted in the same mix.  So I guessed it might be that the draining hole of the pot was closed by something too tight. I placed another piece of a clay pot over the hole and repotted the palm with the same soil into the same pot.  And it became looking happier (pic #4)  and is a happy little bonsai palm until now, pushing its 18th leaf (pic #5), with very strong and healthy roots (pic #6). 
      So we can see that even an ideal soil mix may cause problems when the pot is too large or the drainage not optimal.

• Anyone growing lytocaryum weddellianum outdoor
      By User00
      anyone from tropical climate  growing lytocaryum weddellianum  in outdoor. i heard they don't like much water 
    • Lytocaryum weddellianum - Repotting
      By benko
      Hello all, I have a Lytocaryum weddellianum growing on my kitchen window sill which is south facing. It has been doing really well and continues to grow through the winter months! I have noticed it's roots are starting to pop out the bottom of the pot, I was wondering if any of you think I should re-pot it in a few months or just leave it in its current pot for longer? I am thinking of getting a Lechuza pot for it with Lechuza pon. I have only been watering when the soil is close to drying out, allowing the water to drain. Also does anyone know how it copes with root disturbance? If you could let me know your thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

• Lytocaryum: Syagrus insignis vs. S. weddellianum
      By Pal Meir
      Syagrus insignis vs S. weddelliana
      Between 1995 and 2010 the species Lytocaryum insigne (now again Syagrus insignis) was treated as synonym for the "correct" term Lytocaryum weddellianum (now Syagrus weddelliana). In this thread I am trying to document the differences between these two species during their first years since germination.
      Literature discussing the genus Lytocaryum (Noblick & Lorezi 2010) and its transfer to Syagrus (Noblick & Meerow 2015) can be downloaded as pdf:
      http://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2010/v54n1p5_17.pdf
      http://www.researchgate.net/publication/281374491_The_transfer_of_the_genus_Lytocaryum_to_Syagrus
      (or via IPS)
      It would be very nice if also other members could contribute their photos which show the characteristic differences between these two species or their similarities when they have pinnate leaves.
      My first sketch shows the typical habit of adult trees. I regret that I don’t have my own photos which I could post here. The next photos document that it can be impossible to distinguish their seeds: Seeds of S. insignis may be smaller or bigger or of the same size.
      The other photos document the differences between the seedlings, beginning with photos of half a year old juvenile plants. All Syagrus weddelliana germinated in April 2013, all Syagrus insignis in February and March 2014.
      Here the sketches: Actually S. insignis (here from Espírito Santo) is much taller than S. weddelliana (here Rio de Janeiro) and its trunk is also much thicker:

Two seeds looking totally alike:

All seeds of S. insignis which germinated in 2014 were smaller than the average of L. weddelliana:

And here three seeds of actually germinated palms: