• Announcements

• PRIVATE MESSAGING - IMPORTANT NOTICE   01/02/2017

There has been some confusion regarding the Messaging System on PalmTalk - and what is private and what is posted publicly. I've been asked to explain the two. There are two forms of messages - what I will call "Private Messages" which are Private, and "Activity Messages" which are public. A Private Message is designated with an envelope icon. It is available at the top of every page (click it and use "Compose New"). It is also accessible by hovering over a User's name or Avatar and clicking the envelope icon. Or it is also available on a User's Profile Page - at the top - again, with the envelope icon. Anywhere you see this envelope icon, you can click it and send a Private Message. An "Activity Message" is public. These are the "What's on your Mind" and "Leave a Message on [User X's] Feed" boxes where you can leave a public message directly as a Status Update (on your Profile or Main PT Page) or on a User's Profile Page - which updates his Status Update and also posts on PT's Main Status Update Page. These are "Activities" and labeled as such on the Profile Pages.  What is confusing is that both options (Private and Activity) are available on a User's Profile Page.  Just remember, that if you want to send a Private Message, use the envelope icon link - wherever you see it. That will get you to the Private Messaging Center. Any other "Status Update," like "What's on your Mind," or "Leave a Message on [so-and-so's] Feed," is public. I would make it less confusing if I could, but I can't.

54 posts in this topic

Please post pics of your potted Syagrus weddelliana 1916 :greenthumb: (= Microcoelum weddellianum 1956 = Lytocaryum weddellianum 1944 = Cocos weddelliana 1871)! — At present I have only three year young S weddelliana (of course all grown up from seed), because my (hundreds upon hundreds) older ones didn’t like my several world trips and other journeys … :(:violin: — But at first I’ll post the oldest pic of a Cocos weddelliana WENDL. from 1871, and then a photo of my “working” place as it looks like today: :D

575c70a4b4c46_Wendland1871IMG_7016.thumb

575c70afe4cdc_SyagrusweddellianaN1300201

Took two pics from different angles since they don't always photograph well. This palm I bought from Floribunda.

DSCF0106.JPG

DSCF0107.JPG

These two Lytos were kept as bonsai in the same tiny 8×9cm clay pots on window sills all the years since their germination:

575d2f4600aa7_SyagrusweddellianaIMG_0871

575d2f4b14e69_SyagrusweddellianaIMG_0873

575d2f5032a46_SyagrusweddellianaIMG_4562

575d2f5559a79_SyagrusweddellianaIMG_5397

So what name we using? Syagrus,Cocos, Lytocarium,Fred? ;)

13 minutes ago, Howeadypsis said:

So what name we using? Syagrus,Cocos, Lytocarium,Fred? ;)

At present it is again Syagrus BECC. 1916, but we can keep a »sub-genus« Lytocaryum TOLEDO 1944 with 4 species:

https://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2015/Vol59n2p57.pdf

I want one! :)

11 minutes ago, Howeadypsis said:

I want one! :)

I need them all for my daily strolls: :P

575d45be39c41_PalMeirinspectingpalms.thu

Beautiful elegant palms for indoors 

I love this Palm. It is one of my favourites, here is mine. This Palm lives on my kitchen window sill behind a blind, it doesn't stop growing! :D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

6 minutes ago, benko said:

I love this Palm. It is one of my favourites, here is mine. This Palm lives on my kitchen window sill behind a blind, it doesn't stop growing! :D

Nice palm! :greenthumb: Did you grow it from seed? If so, how old is it?

12 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Nice palm! :greenthumb: Did you grow it from seed? If so, how old is it?

Hi Pal, thank you. I did not grow it from seed, I only purchased it in December and it has grown quite a bit since, how old do you think it was? Pic below December 2015.

I am yet to grow my first palm from seed, it is something I would love to do but space is a problem in my small apartment! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

16 minutes ago, benko said:

Hi Pal, thank you. I did not grow it from seed, I only purchased it in December and it has grown quite a bit since, how old do you think it was? Pic below December 2015.

I am yet to grow my first palm from seed, it is something I would love to do but space is a problem in my small apartment! 

It is hard to guess how old it might be. The growth depends on many conditions. If you look at my palms around my working place above you will find bonsai sized mini palms and some taller ones, up to more than 1 m (front left), all of the same age (3 years). I have posted a couple pics on Flickr which document the growth of the Lyto weddell I have grown up in 2013:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums/72157649112001360

These 3 Lyto weddell were exactly 2 years old (since germination from seed), but had very different growth rates. They were potted in 12x12cm clay pots.

575e8e4b4d16c_Syagrusweddelliana2015-04-

And even as tiny seedlings with only 3 leaves they are looking very »palmy« (in 8x8x9cm plastic pot & 8x9cm clay pot):

575e90e46cdf4_Syagrusweddelliana2003-05-

575e90eba22d8_Syagrusweddelliana2007-05-

FB_IMG_1465891004881.jpg.f224d685a62bc42

FB_IMG_1465890923651.thumb.jpg.2a68db84d

This is my favorite (indoor) palm ever since I was a kid. 

20 minutes ago, Kai said:

FB_IMG_1465891004881.jpg.f224d685a62bc42

FB_IMG_1465890923651.thumb.jpg.2a68db84d

This is my favorite (indoor) palm ever since I was a kid. 

Beautiful palm.  Quick grower too! 

received_m_mid_1399050079311_bb859cc7bc7

Got this picture from a brazilian friend. This picture really shows the true beauty of the species.

1 hour ago, Kai said:

received_m_mid_1399050079311_bb859cc7bc7

Got this picture from a brazilian friend. This picture really shows the true beauty of the species.

Oh, I’m falling in love again … :wub:

Where (in which state of BR) does your friend live?

27 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Oh, I’m falling in love again … :wub:

Where (in which state of BR) does your friend live?

São Paulo Pal. The perfect climate for this species.

19 minutes ago, Kai said:

São Paulo Pal. The perfect climate for this species.

… and the home of L hoehnei. ;)

Yes correct Pal.

Hoehnei is proving itself as a very suitable indoor potted plant in my living room. Growing vigorously and faster than weddellianum. I feel the 1 gallon size hoehnei will be larger than the 3 gallon size weddellianum in maybe 2 or 3 years.

1 hour ago, Kai said:

Yes correct Pal.

Hoehnei is proving itself as a very suitable indoor potted plant in my living room. Growing vigorously and faster than weddellianum. I feel the 1 gallon size hoehnei will be larger than the 3 gallon size weddellianum in maybe 2 or 3 years.

That is the problem with my L insigne: They are getting too tall for indoors … :mellow:

Don't worry. I have room for them :D

49 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

That is the problem with my L insigne: They are getting too tall for indoors … :mellow:

Trim the roots, keep them small

1 hour ago, Howeadypsis said:

Trim the roots, keep them small

Hmm, Lytos are no Phoenix palms … :indifferent:

The coconutty silhouette of Lyto twins at my working place (so that I always can imagine I were on a strand under coconut palms): :greenthumb::D

576027f69bb2a_N13072016-06-14P1010795.th

It's a miniature double coconut!

And this is the biggest of my Lyto weddells born, er … germinated in 2013, today exactly 3 years and 3 months young, the latest fronts over 1 m long: :wub:

577655054b5a5_N13012016-07-01P101093941.

This one is of the same age and also a beauty: :wub:

5776d3a133e04_N13022016-07-01IMG_8793.th

The same palms N°1301 & 1302 nearly 3 years ago:

5778026edc717_N1301-052013-08-29IMG_7319

Lovely Pal! I have seedlings of about that size right now. Let's see if I can get them that nice in just three years...

They are beauties 

Summer’s coming: B)

578e13fc289b7_N13012016-07-19P1020283.th

Enjoying a German summer (:blink:) evening relaxing under the canopy of a Double Coconut … B)

5792568d4c3da_N1307ab2016-07-22P1020327.

I can't imagine anything better. Oh wait! I can! Enjoying the Lyto's together with a good Islay on a warm west European evening. Cheers!

The old pot (Ø14.8×H17.4 cm) became a little too tight, so I gave the palm a new one (inside 18×18×H23cm): :)

57bc74fe16860_N13012016-08-23IMG_8945.th

57bc75054943a_N13012016-08-23P1020609.th

(The outer pot of the same size I am using as saucer.)

It is always a pleasure to see palms with those healthy roots.

51 minutes ago, Monòver said:

It is always a pleasure to see palms with those healthy roots.

… and no transplantation shock: :D

57bdc75d2d6fa_N13012016-08-24IMG_8956.th

No setback since repotting 3 days ago:

57c05dc7022d3_N13012016-08-26IMG_8975.th

And here it stands in its new pot together with other siblings at my working place: :D

57c060d244d75_N13012016-08-26P1020646.th

Pal is a bad influence....  :o

Picked up a Lytocaryum weddellianum & hoehnei.

63vexg.jpg