IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pal Meir

25 minutes ago, Ilovepalm said:

@Pal Meir What soil mix to use, because in my country seramis is not very available? Only one seedling has brown discoloration.

I found this address, with Seramis® 7.5 l 19€:

https://www.rakentaja.fi/artikkelit/13146/seramis_pidentaa_kasteluvaleja.htm

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

7 minutes ago, Ilovepalm said:

@Pal Meir I have a one question about seramis. What is the difference between Seramis for bonsai, citrus, cacti and orchids? https://allegro.pl/listing?string=seramis&order=m&bmatch=baseline-hou-1-3-0725

Everything is in a product decription, you have 2 original Seramis products on a page you linked. 1 one- Zimmerplfanzen ( for indoor plants) type is clear seramis, and the second one - Orchid has pine bark added. Every other listing on page you provided is either a fetilizer or Westland soil mix which has some part of seramis added to the composition. You can't really require non-polish speaker to translate it for you :)

25 minutes ago, Ilovepalm said:

@Pal Meir I have a one question about seramis. What is the difference between Seramis for bonsai, citrus, cacti and orchids? https://allegro.pl/listing?string=seramis&order=m&bmatch=baseline-hou-1-3-0725

What you do need is only pure Seramis®.

https://allegro.pl/seramis-podloze-granulat-do-roslin-domowych-7-5l-i7465037427.html

Other components as pine bark, LECA, or Kokohum® you can add by your own if required.

Here are two of mine, I don't know why they are growing so slow though.. I killed one by accident by placing it in the sunnier place, it seems to only grow in a room where there's no direct sunlight. These two are about 12 months old grown from seed. I don't know what I am doing wrong! Any suggestions?

3.jpg

33.jpg

30 minutes ago, Donatasgem said:

Here are two of mine, I don't know why they are growing so slow though.. I killed one by accident by placing it in the sunnier place, it seems to only grow in a room where there's no direct sunlight. These two are about 12 months old grown from seed. I don't know what I am doing wrong! Any suggestions?

Repot your palms as soon as possible into smaller pots with a well draining soil mix consisting of 2/3 pine bark (≤1cm) and 1/3 Seramis®. (Later when the palms are bigger use a mix with 2/4 pine bark + 1/4 Seramis® + 1/4 LECA (fine) + LECA as bottom layer..) Be extremely careful not disturbing/breaking the roots when removing the old (±soggy) soil!

For small pots:

5b72dc36d655b_SoilMix2017-06-04P1030702.

For bigger pots:

5b72dc3e832cb_SoilLweddellIMG_908081.thu

Roots of a smaller L wedd (N°1308):

5b72dc493ac97_N13082017-07-23IMG_930710.

Roots of a bigger L wedd (N°1301):

5b72dc500077a_N13012016-08-23IMG_8945.th

Thank you for your response. I will have to repot them but will have to buy some suitable soil then as I haven't got any of that. I have not actually seen it in the UK so will have to have a look :) How quick are they supposed to be growing? Should they be much bigger after 12 months from a seed? thank you!

6 minutes ago, Donatasgem said:

Thank you for your response. I will have to repot them but will have to buy some suitable soil then as I haven't got any of that. I have not actually seen it in the UK so will have to have a look :) How quick are they supposed to be growing? Should they be much bigger after 12 months from a seed? thank you!

There is no suitable soil you can buy. You have to make your own mix. If you love your palms you should look in the internet for a seller. — The size of your palms is not the problem. The problem is the coming winter or dark season.

@Pal Meir Is seramis, as a substrate, also suitable for other palm species, for example dypsis plumosa, chamedora radicalis, chamaerops humilis, phoexix?

On 22-8-2018 19:30:13, Pal Meir said:

@Kai How many leaflets has your biggest L wedd (*2006)? My palms N°1301-04+08 (which have pushed over 20 fronds) have 50+50 to max. 53+52 pinnae. But N°1305 has only 45+46 leaflets.

I will have to count them, maybe tonight I can find some time for this task. I assume you are interested in the average amount of pinnae as well? :blink:Stay put.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Mines doing great since I got it last November. Hasn't lost a leaf including two fronds I had to splint after bending them in my suitcase. Grown about 4 or 5, so it's now holding 11.

Grows so quick!

IMG_20180825_103040.jpg

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Kai said:

Mother holds 24 fronds at this time plus pushing 3 unfinished ones with 53 pinnae left and 56 right (counted on one of the lower leafs).

Thanks! These are the data from Noblick & Lorenzi 2010, p. 11:

5b81aec6cf36a_NoblickLorenzi2010p11.thum

• 2 weeks later...

@Pal Meir I have a problem. I can't get either seramis and pine bark anywhere to overdo it my Lytocaryum Weddellianum. Unfortunately, my land is a poor as like the Third World in Africa and it's hard to get anything here, and I can't afford to bring a base from abroad or buy 100 L bags. I have only LECA, universal subsoil and coconut fiber. What to do?

28 minutes ago, Ilovepalm said:

@Pal Meir I have a problem. I can't get either seramis and pine bark anywhere to overdo it my Lytocaryum Weddellianum. Unfortunately, my land is a poor as like the Third World in Africa and it's hard to get anything here, and I can't afford to bring a base from abroad or buy 100 L bags. I have only LECA, universal subsoil and coconut fiber. What to do?

Don’t repot them now and leave them in the pots you posted before on August 10. But as said already be extremely careful with watering, keep the soil only moist, esp. from October to February. Your soil mix (coco fiber & x) must not get soggy and your pots are very large for such small seedlings. — When they are bigger and you later repot them try to get LECA with small pebbles (less than 1 cm) or crush it. But LECA is only for better drainage, it is like lava chemically neutral and has no nutrients. Mix it with your older soil up to 50%. And don’t hurt the roots of L weddellianum!

• Upvote 1

Do I need to light a lytocaryum in the winter? Autumn is coming here. In my country after 6.00 PM it gets dark. I have a grow led 54W (really 18W), 3600lm, 14.000 K.

7 minutes ago, Ilovepalm said:

Do I need to light a lytocaryum in the winter? Autumn is coming here. In my country after 6.00 PM it gets dark. I have a grow led 54W (really 18W), 3600lm, 14.000 K.

I was using only a »normal« 50 W halogen reading lamp with best success, so that I could repot the seedlings even in January and February and did not need to wait for spring or summer sun:

5b8ec40f5bf56_N13002014-03-03IMG_7612.th

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

I was using only a »normal« 50 W halogen reading lamp with best success, so that I could repot the seedlings even in January and February and did not need to wait for spring or summer sun:

5b8ec40f5bf56_N13002014-03-03IMG_7612.th

Ok, super seedlings! Beautiful! Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lytocaryum batavum reached today the rainy shores of Ireland, now enjoying a warm light and getting to know their new (few) friends, probably wondering where did their other 100+ friends vanish all of a sudden. Huge thanks to Kai for these born and raised European Lyto specimens! The result of more of a decade of great care and dedication combined with a pollination process I never thought to be possible indoors. Us newbies, have nothing else to do but just watch and learn (and get Pal's mix!) :)

IMG_8191.jpg

IMG_8194.jpg

Edited by Onum
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Onum said:

Lytocaryum batavum reached today the rainy shores of Ireland, now enjoying a warm light and getting to know their new (few) friends, probably wondering where did their other 100+ friends vanish all of a sudden. Huge thanks to Kai for these born and raised European Lyto specimens! The result of more of a decade of great care and dedication combined with a pollination process I never thought to be possible indoors. Us newbies, have nothing else to do but just watch and learn (and get Pal's mix!) :)

IMG_8191.jpg

IMG_8194.jpg

Yeah the Batavians set sail and conquered the Isle of Ireland! They won't mind the rainy and cloudy weather a bit, they're tough guys!

• Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Five L weddell and my two L insigne are still outdoors: L weddell N°1303, N°1308 and L insigne N°1401 are exposed to full sun.

5bd452e806857_N130114012018-10-27P104093

The weather here is getting more and more chilly and quite windy (60 km/h).

5bd452ea835d0_Wetter2018-10-27um13.07.28

Beautiful tree! :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new here and new to palm trees. These are my oldest weddellianums and they finally seem to be growing happily. The soil consists of pine bark, leca and coarse sand in different proportions, and just a pinch of peat. The closest one probably had a bit of soil judging from the burned tips, but is also the fastest grower.

I have to say I love this species! Going pinnate so soon and doesn't mind my (at times dry, too shady) conditions. I hope to try other lytocaryum species in the future. My next syagrus will most likely be botryophora which should also do ok in partial shade. 

IMG_20181115_092018.jpg

Edited by Coco sapiens

They look better in real life, lol. I tried posting a picture from another angle but apparently I should down size my pictures first. I have several younger seedlings by the window, I was not expecting 100% germination but I'm not complaining.

Very inspirational pictures Pal. How big do they get indoors? What is your record?

Funny how it's so cold down there. I'm futher north and we're enjoying exeptionally warm weather at the moment. Not much sun the past few weeks though.

8 hours ago, Coco sapiens said:

Very inspirational pictures Pal. How big do they get indoors? What is your record?

Funny how it's so cold down there. I'm futher north and we're enjoying exeptionally warm weather at the moment. Not much sun the past few weeks though.

I have found in the 1980s (?) in a Japanese magazine a pic of an indoor potted Lyto weddell with a nicely developed trunk:

LytoWedd-KateiGahoo.thumb.jpg.7951d46961

Oops, the temperature was 2.6°C (and not 0.26). As the wind is coming from ENE it is quite chilly now. Do you live in Reykjavík?

Good guess. I'm firmly on the mainland but you can imagine how scarce daylight is getting, I'm not 100% convinced I can pull these of without lamps.. I'd imagine weddels would probably survive but I've not heard of anyone trying them. I'll probably put up some LEDs, that way I might even see some growth during the winter.

23 minutes ago, Coco sapiens said:

Good guess. I'm firmly on the mainland but you can imagine how scarce daylight is getting, I'm not 100% convinced I can pull these of without lamps.. I'd imagine weddels would probably survive but I've not heard of anyone trying them. I'll probably put up some LEDs, that way I might even see some growth during the winter.

You should definitely use lamps (from October to March): My Lytos love :wub: the warm halogen light and are growing also indoors very healthily. I would recommend a combination of halaogen and LED (normal lamps for living rooms or offices).