IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pal Meir

I have one question:  How I should sow seeds? I found such a description, is it true? 

"Seeds soak per 24 hours in warm water. We sown seeds prepared in this way superficially (horizontally so that half is buried)"

49 minutes ago, Ilovepalm said:

I have one question:  How I should sow seeds? I found such a description, is it true? 

"Seeds soak per 24 hours in warm water. We sown seeds prepared in this way superficially (horizontally so that half is buried)"

If the seeds are fresh, anything will work.

I usually germinate these seeds under a layer of moist sphagnum moss @22-25°C.

Good luck!

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I have a problem with seeds that I bought a month ago. They are said to be fresh. I planted them in coconut fiber, put them on a warm radiator in the bathroom, I air every day. Unfortunately, the seeds are moldy. What should I do to save them? Please, advise me! Can these seeds wash with water, plant it into fresh coconut fiber and give it to light?

gKqJFFs.jpg

57 minutes ago, Ilovepalm said:

Hi. I have a problem with seeds that I bought a month ago. They are said to be fresh. I planted them in coconut fiber, put them on a warm radiator in the bathroom, I air every day. Unfortunately, the seeds are moldy. What should I do to save them? Please, advise me! Can these seeds wash with water, plant it into fresh coconut fiber and give it to light?

gKqJFFs.jpg

Best to give the remaining seeds a good 10% bleach rinse and resow them in barely wet (allmost dry) medium with no organics. In my experience they germinate best at around 20°C, so no need for heatpads or the likes. Good luck!

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

I rinsed seeds under running water, I exaggerated it to fresh coconut fiber and put it on the windowsill in my room, temperature 20 Celsius and 65 air huminidity.

Edited by Ilovepalm

1 hour ago, Ilovepalm said:

Should I cover these seeds with a cut bottle?

IMG_20180105_122211.jpg

Not sure if the bottle is a good idea. Too little airflow might result in fungus again. But if coverage is nessecary to prevent the medium from drying out too fast, then make sure to take it of a couple of times a day for some air.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

If I will not cover the flowerpot, coconut fiber the quickly dry, but ok I will not cover the cut bottle. The seeds are planted half according to the instructions from seller. How to sprinkle the substrate, so that the seeds will not rot?

I just got another new seeds Lytocaryum with sprouts (?) How should I plant them (top - bottom?) This is the root or sprout?

IMG_20180208_130306.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

A new arrival from Floribunda.  I'm amazed that a 38" tall palm is growing out of that 4" pot.

IMG_3895.jpg

• Upvote 3

@Pal Meir Thank you very much for photos! I prefer to ask, because I never sowed Lytocaryum. This is my other seeds. I have planted them into larger containers (cut bottles).

DSC_0012.PNG

IMG_20180318_125230.jpg

IMG_20180318_125235.jpg

IMG_20180318_125241.jpg

@Kai I have cut  bottles 1/2 from 1,5 L. And my soil mix: coconut fiber + perlite. I have no way to get such a small amount of pine bark, and it is not profitable for me to buy 20-50 liters in the supermarket. What is it seramis (third flowerpot downstairs)? Lytocaryum likes such a sour substrate (pine bark)?

Edited by Ilovepalm

Seramis:

https://www.seramis.com/produkte/granulate-substrate/pflanzgranulat-fuer-zimmerpflanzen/

If you can’t get it you may use crashed LECA for better drainage. Lytos like acidic silicate soil. They hate carbonate. And they hate substrates which get soggy.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

I'm afraid, that one of the Lytocaryum sprouts has dried up Additionally, there is a white precipitate on the stone and sprout.ZASdeCT.jpg

srg3JDA.jpg

20180323_144719.jpg

20180323_144740.jpg

20180323_144757.jpg

20180323_144830.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I love mine - it's my favourite house plant and such a pretty palm! Grown two leaves since I got it in November.

IMG_20180402_113649.jpg

• Upvote 2

I've got three babies on the go too. Notice the pot full of chamaedorea radicalis from Dave in the background.

Yes, Kai - it's looking good. It seems perfect for indoors.

IMG_20180402_113755.jpg

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Very nice! :greenthumb:

For comparison my N°1301+02+04 when they were 2.5 years old:

5ac3af1bd7944_N130102042015-10-01P100092

Pal, your growing skills are unsurpassed, your plants never skip a beat. Thank you for teaching me a large portion of my palmknowledge.

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, Pal Meir said:

N°1303 exposed to full sun B) in Balconia Germanica at 37°C/99°F and dry winds; this palm was since March 2017 almost all the time (except a couple of weeks during winter) outside.

5b69af8553774_N13032018-08-07P1040837.th

Amazing! I never thought they could take that much direct sunlight!

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

6 minutes ago, Kai said:

Amazing! I never thought they could take that much direct sunlight!

It has now the strongest fronds of the ten palms germinated in 2013 with 52+52 relatively stiff leaflets :greenthumb: (compared to the tallest and fattest N°1301).

@Pal Meir Your Lytocaryum look very healthy and beautiful. I sowed Lyto from seeds 7 months ago. I have 3 seedlings. They are in the coconut fiber mixed with perlite. I water moderately, so as to do not rot. Do they look good? What would you advise interesting me yet?

IMG_20180808_192510.jpg

IMG_20180808_192522.jpg

IMG_20180808_192532.jpg

IMG_20180808_192541.jpg

IMG_20180808_192550.jpg

IMG_20180808_192554.jpg

IMG_20180808_192559.jpg

IMG_20180808_192604.jpg

1 hour ago, Ilovepalm said:

@Pal Meir Your Lytocaryum look very healthy and beautiful. I sowed Lyto from seeds 7 months ago. I have 3 seedlings. They are in the coconut fiber mixed with perlite. I water moderately, so as to do not rot. Do they look good? What would you advise interesting me yet?

IMG_20180808_192522.jpg

So far they look very healthy, especially if the leaves are dark green. :greenthumb: — As you are using a soil that can easily get too soggy you have to be very careful with watering, in particular during the dark season (from October to February). Keep the soil only moist, not wet. In case they grow further this way without yellowing or wilting do not repot the seedlings too early. As your pots are transparent you can watch the growth of the roots, too. L weddells will produce quite strong roots. — When you will repot them in the future use another soil mix and other pots.