IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pal Meir

28 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Picked up a Lytocaryum weddellianum & hoehnei.

13 hours ago, Laaz said:

Pal is a bad influence....  :o

The Lytocaryum infection is a very, very heavy incurable disease :sick:. And it is most infectious! :evil:

PS L weddellianum is best for indoors (near your home office :D), L hoehnei is good (as potted plant) for the terrace or balcony, I think.

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

• 2 months later...

This is mine 12 months apart. I am thinking of repotting it soon but I don't want to disturb it. It now has some roots coming out of the pot.

IMG_4797[1].jpg

IMG_6148[1].jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, benko said:

This is mine 12 months apart. I am thinking of repotting it soon but I don't want to disturb it. It now has some roots coming out of the pot.

Looking very happy! :greenthumb: Did you grow it from seed? And how old is it?

23 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Looking very happy! :greenthumb: Did you grow it from seed? And how old is it?

Hi Pal, the first picture is the size it was when I got it, I didn't grow it from seed. I am yet to grow any palm from seed and it is something I would really like to do. Space is a big issue for me in my apartment, I already have so many plants. I am unsure of the age. I am just amazed at how quickly it grows! I am looking forward to seeing how big it will be this time next year. :D

Edited by benko

• 4 weeks later...

My 3 Lytocaryum weddellianum spend their long summer holidays in a shady, sheltered part of the small garden.

09-20f.jpg

• Upvote 5

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_simpleblack_both&

8 minutes ago, Kai said:

Whilst we're all showing off, I might as well chime in.

My Lytocaryum appears to be making babies on the 2nd floor of my house:P

Mines are still too young for making babies and are not allowed to go elsewhere; but my biggest one was last November outdoors, and I don’t know what she did there: :indifferent:

5870359004f94_N13012016-11-21IMG_9073.th

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Mines are still too young for making babies and are not allowed to go elsewhere; but my biggest one was last November outdoors, and I don’t know what she did there: :indifferent:

5870359004f94_N13012016-11-21IMG_9073.th

Carefull with that Pal! Before you know it they start going out on their own and you lost control over them.

• Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, Kai said:

Those look amazing Pal! Congrats with their germinationday! Did they get any presents yet?

I hugged and kissed them. ^_^ They are not materialistic, so they enjoyed my caress much more than fertilizers or similar material things. :D

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

This bonsai Double Coconut N°1307a+b has today its 4th germination day: :)

590105bf892fe_N1307ab2017-04-26P1030493.

590105c833d2e_N1307ab2017-04-26P1030492.

2 better than 1 :wub:

Did they grow with that 'v' shape angle by themselves? Because is what I want for my twin Butyagrus.

08053.gif

1 hour ago, Sanips said:

2 better than 1 :wub:

Did they grow with that 'v' shape angle by themselves? Because is what I want for my twin Butyagrus.

They are not real twins but two separate palms from two seeds. I planted them closely together so that they were growing almost parallel. When the stems became fatter they began to lean outwards and got that V-shape. Here an older photo showing them still with parallel stems:

5901b0e346bbf_N1307ab2015-12-28P1010162.

• Upvote 2

Wow, it's a big change. Clearly the nature is wise

08053.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Reynevan said:

Here is one of the plants I received From Kai. Really beautiful palm :)

IMG_20170709_145004581_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170709_145025929.jpg

It’s a real beauty! Do you know its germination day? If you celebrate that every year your palm will be very happy and grow always healthily. :greenthumb::D

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

It’s a real beauty! Do you know its germination day? If you celebrate that every year your palm will be very happy and grow always healthily. :greenthumb::D

Germination date is noted on the label. It's probably around October 2015. B)

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

Its 5.10.15 !! :)

• 4 months later...

Hi! :) I ordered Lytocaryum Weddelliana the seeds. How to prepare them for sowing? How then to take care of this palm?

Finally got my hands on one of these beauties...all the way from Brazil.

It's in my toilet so I can observe while "meditating"

IMG_20171201_192507.jpg

• Upvote 4

That's a good looking Lyto, I hope it does well for you but be aware of your meditating sessions not getting too long!

You are in the UK right? I was wondering why you went through all that trouble to get this palm all the way from Brazil as there are quite a few available here in Europe.

Anyways good luck with it and hope it flowers soon. Then read my Lyto "grown-up" thread for pollination practices if you want fruits on your Lyto.

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

1 hour ago, Kai said:

Hi Kai, i was in Brazil on a work trip and there was a garden centre over the road from my hotel so i went for a look. Had a number of these in various sizes. This was the smallest and only the equivalent of £15. So I bought and put in my suitcase! Shhhh

I've never seen one in the UK, and one from Germany or Holland is way more expensive with shipping for a smaller one.

The garden centre had a Lytocaryum hoehnei also but I didn't know what it was at the time, plus I don't think it would have fitted in my case!

1 hour ago, Kai said:

That's a good looking Lyto, I hope it does well for you but be aware of your meditating sessions not getting too long!

You are in the UK right? I was wondering why you went through all that trouble to get this palm all the way from Brazil as there are quite a few available here in Europe.

Anyways good luck with it and hope it flowers soon. Then read my Lyto "grown-up" thread for pollination practices if you want fruits on your Lyto.

1 hour ago, Kai said:

3 hours ago, Ivorhooper said:

Hi Kai, i was in Brazil on a work trip and there was a garden centre over the road from my hotel so i went for a look. Had a number of these in various sizes. This was the smallest and only the equivalent of £15. So I bought and put in my suitcase! Shhhh

I've never seen one in the UK, and one from Germany or Holland is way more expensive with shipping for a smaller one.

The garden centre had a Lytocaryum hoehnei also but I didn't know what it was at the time, plus I don't think it would have fitted in my case!

Whoah! Nice trip. I would have taken the hoehnei for sure!

Lol, about 10 years ago I bought a Wedd from the UK, shipping was very pricey! I guess they don't have them anymore. Seeds are not as abundant as they were a couple of decades ago.

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

24 minutes ago, Kai said:

Whoah! Nice trip. I would have taken the hoehnei for sure!

Lol, about 10 years ago I bought a Wedd from the UK, shipping was very pricey! I guess they don't have them anymore. Seeds are not as abundant as they were a couple of decades ago.

This was the hoehnei I've been told with cocothrinax at the back right.

Can anyone confirm? 

I'm going again in January so I may see what else is on offer :-)

IMG_20171127_172655.jpg

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ivorhooper said:

This was the hoehnei I've been told with cocothrinax at the back right.

Can anyone confirm? 

I'm going again in January so I may see what else is on offer :-)

IMG_20171127_172655.jpg

Yup that's a hoehnei. You can bring it back for me. I'll come and pick it up in the UK. Planning on a flyfishing trip anyway.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/12/2017, 21:28:51, Ivorhooper said:

Finally got my hands on one of these beauties...all the way from Brazil.

It's in my toilet so I can observe while "meditating"

IMG_20171201_192507.jpg

Wow you must have a big toilet! ;)

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>