IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kuching 2016: Comments and photos from the Biennial

Kim

On 6/18/2016, 10:48:51, KrisKupsch said:

What species of Araucaria grows there ?

It's Dacrydium beccarii

Scott Zona, Ph.D.
USA

Kim, those tiny tropical forest treasures were indeed worth noting along with the palms.

What were the giant greenhouse structures seen in the video?

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

2 hours ago, redbeard917 said:

Kim, those tiny tropical forest treasures were indeed worth noting along with the palms.

What were the giant greenhouse structures seen in the video?

Those are enclosed controlled environments at Gardens by the Bay in Singapore -- the taller one has a 40 meter waterfall inside, dropping from an artificial "mountain" covered with mist-loving plants.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

4 yrs has flown fast by since my  Immense thrill of strolling Gardens By the Bay, Its a "must see"  for any plant  enthusiast , so, so well planned, cant wait to visit it again.

Kim, your pics through the whole thread made me feel I was there with you  all, well done and well captured, enjoy the rest of your trip and have a safe flight home.

Pete    :)

3 hours ago, Kim said:

Those are enclosed controlled environments at Gardens by the Bay in Singapore -- the taller one has a 40 meter waterfall inside, dropping from an artificial "mountain" covered with mist-loving plants.

1 hour ago, Pedro 65 said:

4 yrs has flown fast by since my  Immense thrill of strolling Gardens By the Bay, Its a "must see"  for any plant  enthusiast , so, so well planned, cant wait to visit it again.

Kim, your pics through the whole thread made me feel I was there with you  all, well done and well captured, enjoy the rest of your trip and have a safe flight home.

Pete    :)

Thanks, Pete, so glad you enjoyed the "trip" so far. :)  I have more photos from the Singapore part of the trip, might not get to them right away.  Flying home from Lombok via Singapore tomorrow.

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

17 minutes ago, Kim said:

Thanks, Pete, so glad you enjoyed the "trip" so far. :)  I have more photos from the Singapore part of the trip, might not get to them right away.  Flying home from Lombok via Singapore tomorrow.

Look fwd to your pics after your "long" safe flight home Kim, Bo,& Len when your relaxed and ready to post.

Pete  :) 

Kim, Tony and the rest

Your pictures are the next best thing to being there. (To coin a phrase. :) )

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 6/19/2016, 8:27:38, Kim said:

Baby Pinanga sp.

DSC_0641.thumb.jpg.95b9370cfffc765439f8c

Pinanga tomentella

DSC_0642.thumb.jpg.16acf18c69c00b13cdf9dDSC_0643.thumb.jpg.cd9128db59e4984daa81b

Then we came upon Licuala orbicularis and everyone went bonkers taking photos.

DSC_0644.thumb.jpg.73c44ddae9c2d550870ea

Forest fungi

DSC_0649.thumb.jpg.f75da688a25e88cfb6925

Len looks like Jack Nicholson from the shinning in that picture..lol

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Too much work and not enough play makes Len a dull boy , so he's constantly travelling :)

Len, will hate this as Ive said it before , when he has his sunnies on he looks like a young Sean Penn.. Sorry Len :) 

Bo, Jeff S, Jeff M, Jerry A and "anyone" who saw the tag on the Licuala above I posted "Please" reply. Many thanks.  Pete  :)

Sean Penn

• Upvote 1

I have been compared to uglier people Pete. 

Home now. Kuching was amazing as the photos show. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

39 minutes ago, LJG said:

I have been compared to uglier people Pete. 

Home now. Kuching was amazing as the photos show. 

Yes Len, you "are" better looking but Im yet to hear an Aussie cougar that thinks SP is ugly.

Bet yr glad to be back to yr beautiful wife n kids.

Pls ask above mentioned if they saw the Licuala tag.

Pete  :)

On 6/19/2016, 8:27:38, Kim said:

Baby Pinanga sp.

DSC_0641.thumb.jpg.95b9370cfffc765439f8c

Pinanga tomentella

DSC_0642.thumb.jpg.16acf18c69c00b13cdf9dDSC_0643.thumb.jpg.cd9128db59e4984daa81b

Then we came upon Licuala orbicularis and everyone went bonkers taking photos.

DSC_0644.thumb.jpg.73c44ddae9c2d550870ea

Forest fungi

DSC_0649.thumb.jpg.f75da688a25e88cfb6925

Len looks like Jack Nicholson from the shinning in that picture..lol

Image result for jack nicholson shining

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Len offers up his fingers to a large ant..

20160615_124746_resized.thumb.jpg.d44a57

Part of our group at Semmagoh looking at a garden started by Dr. John Dransfield.. before heading off to see the Orangutans.

20160615_084240.thumb.jpg.07319a456d8f8e

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Metroxylon sagu along the roadside

20160613_092834.thumb.jpg.0bbf007f33400a

Huge Eugeissona utilis

P6131269.thumb.JPG.d6c7b06960f47a925e538  

Orchid we saw on the trail

P6141384.thumb.JPG.aabe53acf9e472aff6014

Pinanga rupestris growing right on the cliff face

P6141412.thumb.JPG.6b53c1bb61d546e9147b6

Boarding the boats to leave Bako

P6141483.thumb.JPG.6a82b6a567d5160a018ba

• Upvote 3

Rick, thanks for the heads up on that orchid. :( I didn't see any in bloom the whole trip. You got lucky.

By the way, that plant you saw in SBG with the flowers coming off the side. That was some form of Trevesia. Looked similar to the more common Snowflake Aralia (Trevesia palmata).

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

On 23 June 2016 6:04:11 am, scottzona said:

It's Dacrydium beccarii

Wow- thank you. Some Gondwanan influence !!!

Rick, was that the orchid at the top of the trail in Bako?  There was a big group around one taking pics and I kept walking figuring we'd see more.. that was the only one I guess. Nice shot.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

14 hours ago, LJG said:

Rick, thanks for the heads up on that orchid. :( I didn't see any in bloom the whole trip. You got lucky.

By the way, that plant you saw in SBG with the flowers coming off the side. That was some form of Trevesia. Looked similar to the more common Snowflake Aralia (Trevesia palmata).

Lol.. I think you made up for it by being the only "current Rufflesia" flower viewer on that trip.. :) 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, LJG said:

Thanks for the ID. That was one of 3 orchids I saw there. 

6 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Rick, was that the orchid at the top of the trail in Bako?  There was a big group around one taking pics and I kept walking figuring we'd see more.. that was the only one I guess. Nice shot.

That orchid was at the top of the last hill. There were 2 more further down the trail.

This one is either a Bulbophyllum or Cirrhopetalum.

P6141407.thumb.JPG.df7d8eb70c1e36df04507P6141406.thumb.JPG.e77ee6530cd20f887339b

Some type of Dendrobium

P6141392.thumb.JPG.ceb87c777914d47ce7416P6141390.thumb.JPG.438e36c30e9ca687d73d5

Looks like I'll have to email Jeff M to get the name of the Larger Licuala in this pic, "too easy"..   Pete :) DSC_0504.thumb.jpg.770356abc7684a8ffdebe   

In my pictures and notes the only split leaf Licualas at Semmenggoh that I can find were L. borneensis, L. mattanensis, L. bidentata, and L. spicata.

I don't think it's any of those you mentioned, Rick.  Here's another (not very good) photo of the same individual showing the inflorescence.

DSC_0499.thumb.jpg.23f1b4860a7da89120ad4

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

I with you on that Kim, surely "someone" looked at the tag, or did it not have a tag ?? Its a "Stunner"  Pete :) 

5 minutes ago, Kim said:

I don't think it's any of those you mentioned, Rick.  Here's another (not very good) photo of the same individual showing the inflorescence.

Yeh I very much thought the same   Harry  but the leaflets on this thing look as thick maybe even thicker than  a Joey, did anyone go and touch it ??   Pete :)  

This looks similar, not sure if its the same one.. David Tanswell noted that he may be changing his opinion of some species as some licualas look very different as the same species depending on where you find them on the mountain.

20160615_083650.thumb.jpg.e0088064f43793

Bill, that looks like the split leaf Cordata , very, very diff to below  my friend, did you touchy feel this "Stunner" ??  And hey, Im only talkn about the Licuala :)  Pete 

Fantastic collection of photos ! Many exciting day trips enjoyed by all !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

On 6/27/2016, 10:51:28, Pedro 65 said:

Bill, that looks like the split leaf Cordata , very, very diff to below  my friend, did you touchy feel this "Stunner" ??  And hey, Im only talkn about the Licuala :)  Pete 

Some I felt up, yes.. but we were slightly rushed as the second half at Semenggoh is to go up the Hill to watch the Orangutan (hopefully) feeding in habitat.

20160615_094019.thumb.jpg.721b0f5f7bc498

12 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Some I felt up, yes.. but we were slightly rushed as the second half at Semenggoh is to go up the Hill to watch the Orangutan (hopefully) feeding in habitat.

An DSC_0499.thumb.jpg.23f1b4860a7da89120ad4 swer my Q bill, :)  was it very "thick" like a Joey ?.  Pete :)

Fantastic treath.

Looks like I will go to Malaysia in September this year and will have a stop in Kuching as well. 

Southwest