IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Will A mediterranean fan palm survive in Zone 6a, Hebron CT

Mr.SamuraiSword

I found this on EBAY. Here is the Item listing.  It is a total of 40 us dollars.  It seems like a better deal then the windmill palms that sell for 80$ that are half the size.  I read they are the most northernmost natral occuring palm up to France.  And have been Grown in England.  any advice?  here is the listing link.http://www.ebay.com/itm/150811069951?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l1600.jpg

It will not survive unless you protect it with a greenhouse of some sort. They're rated as a zone 8 palm, and even in zone 8 they can struggle on the east coast due to cold, wet winters. I recommend  a needle palm or a Sabal minor for your zone, but they will still need protection. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Unfortunately palms can survive much farther north in Europe than they can in the Northeastern US due to the warm Gulf Stream water drawing in cold air during the winter. :( 

I believe Chamaerops humilis is the only palm native to Europe. No palm can survive a zone 6a winter without serious protection and supplemental heat.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I have 3 in the ground. Two green and one blue, all on the south side of my house/garage. I also have one silver that is in a pot.

The 3 in the ground get wrapped with frost cloth held with a small bungee cord. Two are small enough that I used a rose cone over the top held down with a brick, the lager green one I protect with the frost cloth along with a 1/2 barrel and piece of plexiglass over the top. All of them have a mini string of mini Christmas lights (50) but don't think they put out much heat. They all sail through winter just fine, although the blue seems to take a small hit but recovers nicely.

Now, the one in the pot I left out when out of town when lows were predicted to be in the low 20's and temp dropped to 9F one night and 12 the other before I got home to bring potted palms inside. The silver European fan palm didn't show any damage what so ever and is still rocking along to this day.

Personally from what I have seen they are much more cold hardy than most people think.

• Upvote 1

Good info scott. 9-12degrees is on the low end of zone 8a/high 7b temps, which is a long, long way from a 6a zone. 

I saw (green)med fans that severely burned and lost their main trunks just north of dallas in 2011 that never saw temps lower than 10 degrees. 

Silver med fans that are kept dry are very hardy, just how hardy i dont think anyone knows for sure and Id love to see more folks in the zone 6/7 desert southwest test them out to see just what their limits really are.  However Connecticut is wet and stays very cold for a long time. Temps aren't rebounding to 50-60 after it is 10 degrees and med fans hate constantly wet feet.

I think placement is key.....

Love my silver, but very hard to find it seems.

I have about 300 7g and larger silver med fans, and close to 1000 seedlings. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest with you, I don't like the look of this one because of the narrow (skinny) trunk. In California, you'd be fine, but in Connecticut you will need to get the thickest, most mature plant you can AND you will need to protect it carefully to keep it alive. Don't waste your money on a cheap one from eBay.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is worth a try, you will do better with T. takil or Chamaerops cerifera, in my country, there is a exotic garden in zone 6b and they have even P. canariensis with protection. You can build a little greenhouse from wood and plastic foil and wrap the tree inside with some things. You can try butia palms, they grow even in norway.

Pics of mind in the ground. All for at least 2 winters, south side exposure and protected. I'm zone 5b/6a

South side of garage where two of them are planted. Green on left of banana, looks best of bunch(see other pic) and small blue one at bottom right.

DSCF0119.JPG

Blue one. Took a good hit this winter but has been recovering nicely.

DSCF0120.JPG

Green one that looks the best. Almost a rapid grower.

DSCF0121.JPG

Green one at bottom of pic, seems to be fastest grower and at one time looked pretty bad last year but much better looking now.

DSCF0122.JPG

Edited by sashaeffer
  • Upvote 2

it can't possibly get any colder here in the noreast than it did a few nights last january man it was COLD !.one night the digital dashboard lights in my old caddy fleetwood which have been out for years came on. hi guys new here and enjoy reading about palms

• 1 month later...

thanks everyone.  I INSTEAD got a trachy fortuni and will be getting some hardy banana plants as well.

On August 28, 2016 at 11:49:56 AM, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

thanks everyone.  I INSTEAD got a trachy fortuni and will be getting some hardy banana plants as well.

Good choice! 

PalmTreeDude

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2016‎ ‎00‎:‎32‎:‎13, faceyourfaces said:

Unfortunately palms can survive much farther north in Europe than they can in the Northeastern US due to the warm Gulf Stream water drawing in cold air during the winter. :( 

Living in the UK I concur with Face, I'm not sure why you would want to try and grow one were you live.  It would mean constant protection in the winter, which is fine when the palm is small and whilst they do not grow that fast eventually they get to big to protect, then you have the heartache of loosing a palm you have cared  for fore many years. You would be setting your self for failure.:violin:

However nice palm by the way.:greenthumb:

Edited by Jungle Jas.

On 06.06.2016. 02:27:18, PalmatierMeg said:

I believe Chamaerops humilis is the only palm native to Europe. No palm can survive a zone 6a winter without serious protection and supplemental heat.

Phoenix theophrasti is also native to Europe.

• Upvote 1

On 06.06.2016. 00:33:07, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

I found this on EBAY. Here is the Item listing.  It is a total of 40 us dollars.  It seems like a better deal then the windmill palms that sell for 80$ that are half the size.  I read they are the most northernmost natral occuring palm up to France.  And have been Grown in England.  any advice?  here is the listing link.http://www.ebay.com/itm/150811069951?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l1600.jpg

Thing is, Europe is much, much warmer than North America on the same latitude.

The most northen habitat of this palm specie in Europe ( France ), actually has Mediterranean climate USDA 8/9.