IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Frankston Palm Garden Victoria Australia

Sir Oxylon

I got mine from a Bunnings in Rockhampton about 1.5 years ago and has put out 3 or 4 new fronds in that time. It is quite small and imagine it will start to grow quicker once it has more size. I checked my local BigW and the didn't have any.

I got mine from Big W in Southland (Cheltenham). They still had a few left when I checked around Christmas but it's a fair hike from Geelong.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some more palm pics.

The first pic is the Dypsis leptocheilos which has now gone through 2 winters with no damage. Its largest leaf developed through this winter. It is a lighter green like it has a bit of nutritional deficiency so I put some osmocote on it. It also has a new spear that will open any day now. You can see the polycarbonate shelter around it that keeps it protected. Second photo is a Dypsis decipiens that I planted on Australia Day. I planted it in a foot tall mound in well draining sandy loam that is about 1-1.2 m deep before it starts to become clayey. Its in full day sun. I have also posted a pic of the soil its in. Third photo Trithrinax brasiliensis, 4th Nannorrhops ritchiana, 5th Brahea sp. Super Silver, 6th Jubaea chilensis, 7th Arenga engleri, and 8th Jubaeopsis caffra.

Dypsisleptocheilos2017.JPG

Dypsis decipiens.JPG

soil decipiens.JPG

Trithrinaxbrasiliense.JPG

Nanarrhopsritchiana.JPG

Braheasupersilver.JPG

Jubaeachilensis.JPG

Arengaengleri.JPG

Jubaeopsiscaffra.JPG

• Upvote 4

• 7 months later...

Heavy damage here too. The only exposed palms with no damage were Beccariophoenix alfredii, Linospadix monostachya and Lytocaryum weddelianum. Funnily enough my Dypsis leptocheilos looks perfect because I covered it while others around it are burnt including Hedyscepe, Chamaedorea ernestii-augustii and nationsiana, Ceroxylon ventricosum and parvum, Dypsis baronii and ambositrae, Rhopalostylis sapida, Chambeyronia and others. Plenty of palms I thought were perfectly hardy down here I've never seen any damage on got hit badly. The good news is it looks like most will pull through ok.

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry. I have been off palmtalk for a while. We had an awful year here. Only got down to 1.5 but like you said quite a bit of damage and damage to plants that I wouldn't expect to get damaged. I planted a Dypsis onilahensis, D. lutescens, D. oropedionis and Synecanthus fibrosus in March. All these got burnt (I think they will all recover but they look awful at the moment). The first three were exposed. I suspect that planting them as lat as March didn't help but it looks like noting was going to help them this year. My banana grove got scorched but all are coming back now. I also have a Ficus dammeropsis that got heavily burnt dropped all its leaves but is coming back now-they are usually quite cold hardy. The larger ones at the Botanical gardens and uni of Melbourne were relatively unscathed despite it getting colder there. It perplexed me a bit. The D. leptocheilos is still good. It is not getting the best growing conditions because I have it shaded to protect the Chamaedorea palms surrounding it but its still going. Its got a new leaf that will come out sometime soon. The cold was just the first pain this year. My glasshouse got heavily attacked by mice and rats. I lost many palms in there -nearly killed me. They just ate the whole palm in some cases. I lost a Pritchardia hildebrandii that was 7 feet tall-all the base and leaf stems eaten. Lost many seedlings. This was all in a span of a couple of nights while I was working. I had to move more or less the whole collection into my house until I could kill them all off with bait, concrete all the bases of the glasshouse and I have made an enclosure surrounded by mice proof netting in the glasshouse with an earth bed inside. The garden bed has all of my exclusively tropical things planted in it now. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

Sorry. I have been off palmtalk for a while. We had an awful year here. Only got down to 1.5 but like you said quite a bit of damage and damage to plants that I wouldn't expect to get damaged. I planted a Dypsis onilahensis, D. lutescens, D. oropedionis and Synecanthus fibrosus in March. All these got burnt (I think they will all recover but they look awful at the moment). The first three were exposed. I suspect that planting them as lat as March didn't help but it looks like noting was going to help them this year. My banana grove got scorched but all are coming back now. I also have a Ficus dammeropsis that got heavily burnt dropped all its leaves but is coming back now-they are usually quite cold hardy. The larger ones at the Botanical gardens and uni of Melbourne were relatively unscathed despite it getting colder there. It perplexed me a bit. The D. leptocheilos is still good. It is not getting the best growing conditions because I have it shaded to protect the Chamaedorea palms surrounding it but its still going. Its got a new leaf that will come out sometime soon. The cold was just the first pain this year. My glasshouse got heavily attacked by mice and rats. I lost many palms in there -nearly killed me. They just ate the whole palm in some cases. I lost a Pritchardia hildebrandii that was 7 feet tall-all the base and leaf stems eaten. Lost many seedlings. This was all in a span of a couple of nights while I was working. I had to move more or less the whole collection into my house until I could kill them all off with bait, concrete all the bases of the glasshouse and I have made an enclosure surrounded by mice proof netting in the glasshouse with an earth bed inside. The garden bed has all of my exclusively tropical things planted in it now. 

Not good to hear Daniel. If you weren't immune from cold in Frankston then there's nowhere in Melbourne that wouldn't have been hit. I suspect a big impact for why your Ficus was damaged and other bigger ones unscathed is the reduced cold and frost resistance of smaller plants combined with the colder temps and heavier frost near ground level. I noticed small Archontophoenix in my area including my myolensis seedlings were burnt, while larger ones in the same area haven't been touched.

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

Yeah good point Tim. I have a very flat block here so any cold would settle near ground rather than moving down slope. Hopefully when I plant out larger palms after being in the glasshouse for a while they wont get so affected.  

I feel your pain guys. Worst winter ever here. We usually get a light frost but while I was away in England in June I think we saw a -3C or even lower. The neighbour recorded a -4c and the avacodo grower across the road saw a -5c. I lost a trunking Hyophorbe indica and the other 2 were heavily damaged but recovering. Strelitzia nicolai were torched as well as bad damage on Howea under canopy which really surprised me. Large Phoenix roebellini were bronzed right off for about 80% but Beccariophoenix alfredii right next to them were only slightly spotted. My Pritchardias will all live but look like I threw kerosene over them. Winners were Parajubaea, Bismarckia, Sabal, B alfredii, all Rhopalostylis, Hedyscepe, Jubaea, Arenga including westerhoutii which is opening a new spear, Dypsis decipiens, ambositrae, onilahensis, albofarinosa, Syagrus pseudococus, Caryota gigas, Butia, Chambeyronia. Dypsis pembana, lanceolata, carlsmithii, arenarum, canaliculata, leptocheilos, plumosa, Archontophoenix alexandrae all suffered significant damage but are recovering. Locals said they've never seen anything like this winter. I hope we never see another again.

Glad to see other southern growers on Palmtalk. A belated welcome to palmtalk Sir Oxylon.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks Tyrone. I have been at my place now for 3 years and in that time we have seen two record winter colds-really crap luck. That is absurdly cold for West Aus. Its meant to be colder here in Melbourne than in sth WA during winter but that is colder than we got this winter. Surely we have done our bad winter tax for a decade or so and might get some milder winters. I got a double hit this winter because I had rat attacks as well as cold that I had to deal with. Great list of palms. Good to know what is working and what got affected.

I think some Arenga may be a good chance in our cold. My Arenga engleri, A. micrantha and A. ryukensis didn't show any sign of damage (However, I know they are the most cold tolerant ones). I have a A. australasica in the glasshouse that I will trial in the ground outside later on once it is a large plant but A. westerhoutii may be a good shot.

I didnt get any cold damage this year, maybe i wasn't up early enough but didn't see any frost either while the year before i had a few..

But the wet of the last two months is what really affects my palms as my soil is very damp and the water table quite high strangely enough some palms you may think wouldn't like this like Dypsis decepiens x3 are always fine just slow and steady while other palms every year just go a step backwards each year.

Syagrus botryophora x 2 are surviving but just growing too slow dont expect will be viable for me long term.

Syagrus schizophylla close to dead.

Syagrus sancona totally dead.

Dypsis acuminum has also been a bit disappointing the first year it seemed fine and put on growth but it got knocked around last winter and since then has gone backwards i thought being fairly closely related to D. baronii and from a decent elevation it would be a winner.

The good news for me is Rhopalostylis sapida really loves my always damp soil and coastal environment slow but steady and always green and lush looking being an island we also dont get the hot run northerlys as bad as some areas, 

Edited by pigafetta
  • Upvote 1

Hi Pigafetta. Some spots on Phillip Island have very good temperatures for winter. Rhyll weather station has winter mean lows over 8 degrees which is similar to Frankston here. Dypsis is so hit and miss in Victoria. I think if they get wet feet and it is cold too then they start getting severely damaged here. Rhopalostylis are champions here too. Probably the best place in Aus to grow them. Mine are all growing very quickly same with Ceroxylon.

10 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

Thanks Tyrone. I have been at my place now for 3 years and in that time we have seen two record winter colds-really crap luck.

I've been here for 4 years and the last two winters have been brutal with the worst this year. A couple of weeks back we had 114mm of rain in 3 days and everything was swimming. But I doubt we'll get the 1200mm we got last year. The crazy thing is just a couple of kms away people still had flowering cannas in July and mine were melted back to the roots. Go figure.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hello Sir oxylon,  I was not aware of the freeze as my container ranch in beautiful downtown keysborough is somewhat protected.  I have some sympathy as many of my palms were decimated by rats in 2012.   The rats damage seedlings in one of 2 ways,  they just sample the taste of everyone of your seedlings and inflict serious damage,  or they find a palm they like and eat it to the ground.  They ate all my chamaedorea ernesti augustii, planted in a multiple planting. In just one night, all eaten to the ground. Also ate all but one metallicas, also planted ina clump. Its devastating.

I  see your comment on the parajubs at geelong botanical gardens.  I grew those from seed and gave them to a friend who donated them to the gbg.

As to bismarckia, there is a good specimen growing in cheltenham rd black rock, north facing microclimate 2 metres from a brick wall. North facing masonry walls and raised masonry planter beds facing north create a microclimate to die for.   I planted a brahea armata from a 150mm pot in that situation in 2008. It now has 1 metre of trunk and is a widely admired specimen.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Hi Chris,

Your not far from me in Keysborough. Rats and mice were much worse than the cold for me. I had a few things get burnt but I wont lose anything from the cold. The rats and mice killed lots of things-they didn't just sample they eat it to the roots as you mentioned all in a couple of nights before I could do anything about it. I have grown palms elsewhere around Melbourne (Uni of Melb and Sunbury) and I had never had any problems. I am prepared for them now (bait, better protection-concreted bases of glasshouse to make it more sealed and I have an electronic deterrent). I had a Pritchardia hildebrandii that was about 5 feet tall in the glasshouse they ate all the spear right to the roots stem and all and just left the leaf lamina-don't think that large plants are safe. I was looking forward to planting it this summer-I have another smaller one that I germinated that I am waiting for now. You really need to kill all mice and rats before they get a taste for your palms.

Parajubaea cocoides was the first palm species I germinated about 5 years ago. Its about 6 feet tall now. Your P. torallyi in Geelong are fantastic. Do you have them growing at your place?

I will have to track that Black Rock Bismarckia down. There is a front yard on Springvale Rd just north of Springvale that has some impressive Bismarckia as well. Its on the west side of the road. 

I will post some pics soon of my glasshouse with the new garden bed and all the tropical things planted in there-some real nice things in there protected by mice proof mesh. 

On 10/8/2017, 12:24:52, Tyrone said:

"Worst winter ever .... I hope we never see another again."

Global warming will suit me too. :-) 

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

11 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

"You really need to kill all mice and rats before they get a taste for your palms."

Yes, been there done that, the little buggers.

Unfortunately I killed a few possums (that do no damage here) first, before I realized that I had to use proper animal proof bait stations.

Now we can enjoy all of the other animals birds reptiles marsupials, amphibians in our garden without the rat damage.

We would even be happy to have them there if they didn't do the damage that they do. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

You can make very low cost bait stations with short lengths of plastic downpipe with an inspection tee where the bait is fixed.  Rats track along fences, and walls near entrance points  so they are best placed there.

chris.oz

Yeah I wouldn't care about mice and rats too if they didn't do enormous damage. One of the reasons I think I got hit quite bad was because I was previously reluctant to use bait. I bought a bait station but they are a glorified version of what you suggest for much cheaper Chris. Good idea.

Unfortunately we were feeding fruit to some of the many possums that lived on and visited our garden.  If any fruit went to ground, they did not pick it up.  Eventually rats found out about this situation. They were ok for quite some time. Then they discovered the palms. Once they did it was mayhem.  Possums, especially the ringtails are delightful creatures.  However, before we ever fed them, they had destroyed all the camellias in the garden, but as far as I could establish, never ate palms , or if they did, they stopped very quickly.  

Our garden had  well established canopy,  I set about planting lots of howeas under that canopy.  Today there are at least 8 trunking howeas of both species.  Some were rescued from a palm garden 2 doors up, before it was bulldozed,  they had 1 metre of trunk.  I dug them by hand and dragged them by hand down the street and planted them. Both are doing well, after a year of transplant shock.

I have witnessed the decline and death of many trunking  howeas in the area over the years.  If only people realised they just need to water them 2 times over summer if they are in the sun.  But tbh, howeas look better under canopy, even if they are slow.

chris.oz

I wouldn't bother with Howea out of the shade in Melbourne. They always look so much lusher in the shade. 

Some people do value howeas. Recently owners of 2 adjacent blocks here in beaumaris  demolished 2 houses and totally cleared every plant. Yes every plant, except a howea with 20 ft of trunk. The same  howea that was almost dead at the end of last summer.,  its on pure sand at the top of the cliff 50 m from the beach. If they dont water it, it will be dead by the end of this summer.

chris.oz

Good to hear from you again Chris. I'm pretty sure my Syagrus sancona was from a batch of seed you gave me years ago. It was really taking off in the ground but this winter hit it pretty hard, hoping it pulls through this growing season.

I was in the city today and saw the Bismarck on the Yarra. It has been unnecessarily trimmed but is growing well after a tough winter.

20171015_145520_resized.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

Once a Bismarckia gets to that size I think it will be fine in Melbourne. The trick is getting one that size;) I have a 3 feet tall one in the glasshouse. I am maintaining 60-70 % humidity at 30-33 degrees and it is flying along in there. I wont plant it until its large. The ones at Melbourne Uni performed well too. Another good performer that they had at uni this winter was a Sabal domingensis that I germinated and the Pritchardia hildebrandii there got through looking pretty good as well-Pritchardia are very hit and miss down here. If it wasn't for Howea being cultivated by the millions they would be one of the most sought after palms in the world-they look as good as a coconut and they are one of the most restricted palm species in the world. Rarity and good looks. 

Hey guy's,

Sorry to intrude here... Currently in the phase of a new build home out in Truganina 23KM west of the CBD, hopefully mid next year I shall be getting pretty close to moving in.

I want to plant a palm or two, or perhaps a feature palm in the middle out the front in full sun, any ideas what I should consider without it looking ratty being fully exposed? 

Climate & location wise I don't think Truganina would be susceptible to severe frost. What do you think, any advice would be great.

Edited by Aussiepalm

Not rare but id go a Butia capitata great feature palm and tough as nails handle all kind of exposed conditions without getting ratty, also stay at a good eye level height for quite sometime.

6 hours ago, Aussiepalm said:

Hey guy's,

Sorry to intrude here... Currently in the phase of a new build home out in Truganina 23KM west of the CBD, hopefully mid next year I shall be getting pretty close to moving in.

I want to plant a palm or two, or perhaps a feature palm in the middle out the front in full sun, any ideas what I should consider without it looking ratty being fully exposed? 

Climate & location wise I don't think Truganina would be susceptible to severe frost. What do you think, any advice would be great.

If you want a feature that is a bit unusual and striking, I'd recommend Beccariophoenix alfredii or Caryota gigas depending on what look you're going for. Both are proven to withstand our climate and grow best in full sun.

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

Thanks for the tips guys. Does the Beccariophoenix alfredii have dangerous large roots, could it cause any damage to the foundation of homes ect...? 

Also where can you buy them in Melbourne? 

The Palm place out at the airport have them not cheap though.

Most palms roots don't cause damage to foundations etc as palm roots don't grow thicker/expand like tree roots, but the bulk if planted right next to concrete etc can crack or move concrete but you would need to plant one at least 1.5 to 2m away from a path or house anyway.

Just remember with Caryota sp they will eventually die once flowered might be 20-25 years time but its still a big palm to get chopped down, personally id rather a palm that will out live me.

Still reckon you can't go past  Butia capitata as a feature palm and they are bullet proof to anything and everything, sun, wind, hail, drought, frost.

Thanks pigafetta.

Definitely considering the Butia Capitata, how tall will it grow in Melbourne conditions and generally how thick is the trunk?

Edited by Aussiepalm

Hi Aussie Palm. Why stop at one or two? If you take pics of the site it may give us a better idea of what might be good. Truganina will get more extreme temperatures than some of the suburbs closer to the bay and cbd but will still support a wide range of spectacular things to chose from. It all depends on your preferences as well. Do you like pinnate (feather) leaf palms or fan palms? I think Sabal is an excellent very large spectacular fan palm genus for Melbourne. They grow slowly but most palms down here do. Butia is quite common. Beccariophoenix is much rarer and attention grabbing in my opinion but saying that some of the quite blue forms of Butia are striking. I have reasonable sized Beccariophoenix alfredii here that I can part with for much less than palm place. I also have some Sabal species here too.

A decent sized Jubaea would be a nice statement. Not sure if they are available in Melbourne though.

Didn't even think of Jubaea. I second that thought. I should have some seedlings of these as well. They are very hardy.

Thanks all, you have been very helpful.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the site, my block of land is currently a dust bowl. It is however a relatively smallish space out front, I'm sure I could still have a lovely palmy looking front. Beccariophoenix alfredii  looks beautiful!

• 2 years later...
On 10/14/2017 at 7:15 PM, chris.oz said:

Some people do value howeas. Recently owners of 2 adjacent blocks here in beaumaris  demolished 2 houses and totally cleared every plant. Yes every plant, except a howea with 20 ft of trunk. The same  howea that was almost dead at the end of last summer.,  its on pure sand at the top of the cliff 50 m from the beach. If they dont water it, it will be dead by the end of this summer.

Sure enough,  they cleared the whole site except the Howea,  ( probably because the council required them to keep it.) they fenced it off,  stripped the mulch and  topsoil away,  failed to water it,  and it died in one summer..   In terms of $$$$ tree value,  that palm would probably have been worth $5000,  if you wanted to buy one.  People just do not see it that way though.

chris.oz

6 hours ago, chris.oz said:

Sure enough,  they cleared the whole site except the Howea,  ( probably because the council required them to keep it.) they fenced it off,  stripped the mulch and  topsoil away,  failed to water it,  and it died in one summer..   In terms of $$$$ tree value,  that palm would probably have been worth $5000,  if you wanted to buy one.  People just do not see it that way though.

No appreciation.

I saved a just trunking Howea from a friends place back in April. They were going to just cut it down. It didn't even notice the transplant. Now it sits in my Howea forsteriana area where I'm going to plants heaps of them to mimic a tiny section of LHI.

I also picked up a trunking Dicksonia antarctica and a Lytocaryum weddelianum with 1.5m of trunk from them. They were happy to see them gone and I was happy to oblige.

Speaking of Howeas in Victoria I bought an old Howea a few years back with about two foot of trunk in a big pot lady reckoned it was 20 years old probably was looked pretty neglected,  it's been in the ground a few years now but been super slow with pushing fronds even for a Howe, sits in a mounded area not too exposed,  funny enough for some reason it looks like its losing life and cant be to wet and defiantly not too dry and not too exposed to sun.

A smaller Howe just trunking planted small is 3ft away doing fine.

Going to be interesting to see what it does, it's almost seems like its doing or done what a plant/tree that gets too big in the pot and gets a J root and gets planted out does never doing much good in the ground and can even die.

Funny never thought of palms like that with the different roots systems they have to trees/plants..

Edited by pigafetta