Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stripped down Windmill

10 posts in this topic

Here are two Windmill palms for comparison purposes that are showing a non fibrous trunk. One has intentionally had the older petiole bases removed, the other has decayed and have fallen, picked by nesting birds and only cleared to clean up the untidiness. The ones purposely removed show coloring of blues and yellow even after a year or two of being removed. Naturally fallen ones have a more plain look. I've seen it stated that removing the petioles and fiber in the colder range of these palms is not recommended. I've seen some local palms that are stripped heavily showing a smooth look and overall different appearance to this palm.

Observations and comments welcome.

Cheers, Barrie.

T.fort004.jpg

T.fort003.jpg

T.fort002.jpg

T.fort001.jpg

Edited by Las Palmas Norte

Looks nice but is that roots showing at the bottom of the trunk on the last picture?

Yes, roots emerge on older palms and quite often are exposed like that. You can also see the same in the first palm.

Edited by Las Palmas Norte

Nice palms! I like seeing them with no fiber, they look more tropical.

I have a chamaerops with nearly 2 foot of trunk but its a fat trunk shows a bit of roots so your reason means my chammy is old and so is your windmill.

Go look at most mature Canary Island or True Date Palms in California with 40+ foot high trunks and you will invariably notice the exposed roots at the bottom of the trunk. This is very common on mature palms.

Very common with washintonia's as well.

27zclle.jpg

When the Trachies are growing in their habitats or locations where they are naturalized they all show only smooth trunks when those are tall:

57700f87ab8c4_Trachycarpusfortunei1979-0

I love them when they get all like that.  The have an almost striking resemblance to Washingtonia when old and tall like that, right down to the small skirt of dead fans.  

I like them with or without fibres. I think they look more tropical without.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Arecaceae
      By GregVirginia7
      Anybody have any ideas for a Northern Virginia zone where the Arecaceae family is concerned? I tried an unknown garden variety one but with no success. I'm limited here but would like to round things out with a feather palm addition...so far, Trachy, needle, sabals McCurtain and brazoria and Mediterraneans are doing fine...any suggestions?
    • Trachy Winter Behavior
      By GregVirginia7
      Hello folks...I'm new here and had a question. This past winter, mild by any standard in Northern Virginia, however...we did have a couple 17 degree F. nights followed by below or near 32 degree F. Days... I noticed my Trachy's leaves folded up like a closed accordion at night but would open slightly during the day. Once the cold snap passed, they opened up as usual. My question: Is this a sign of dodging the bullet of death or is the folding up a natural, protective reaction that can be repeated in a normal No. Va. Winter?...this is it's 4th winter in ground and the first that it got too big to protect...all it got was an umbrella over the crown and a 50w spotlight on the trunk, but it's never gotten more than a loose burlap corral with a burlap roof and some c9 lights laid out on the ground (winter 2014) 
    • North Texas Nannorrhops
      By Ben OK
      I mentioned (in another thread about Sabal mexicana) some mature nannorrhops I saw several years ago in Paris TX, when I was driving through. Rather than post more about them in a thread about Sabal mexicana, I thought I would give them a thread. Here they were the week between Christmas and New Year, 2012: 

The quality isn't great because I didn't have a great phone camera back then.
      Anyone else have experience and/or pics of nannorrhops in zone 8 or colder they would like to share?
    • Yet another Sabal mexicana survives a south central Kansas winter!
      By jfrye01@live.com
      Checking around the yard today, I noticed something very surprising on a palm I had given up for dead...this Sabal mexicana was planted as a one gallon strapling last summer, northeast side of the house (I know, worst place to plant palms, but I'm out of room! ).  When winter came, I didn't have the means to protect it, as I had several other larger palms I wanted to keep healthy, so I said goodbye to it and gave it up for dead...and it appeared so as of last week, completely brown, so I planned to dig it out and replace with something else. I'm glad I waited, as today, I noticed this:  

It lives! It may not look like much, but here in Kansas, I'll take what I can get...I love experimenting with different palms, some of them are far hardier than given credit for! 
      Happy spring to those in the Northern Hemisphere, to those in the southern hemisphere, well, I wish you as happy a fall as can be!
      -Jacob
    • Trashy Spear Fully Pulled
      By PalmTreeDude
      Well... My Trachy spear pulled from the worst cold snap we have had here, the funny thing is my Butias, Mediterranean Fan Palm, and of course my Needle Palm are all thriving right now. I put most protection on the trachy and it is having the problem. The inner spear pulled but some fronds on the outside are green. Will it survive or is it likely dead?