IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

mature sized Ceratozamia latifolia

cycadjungle

This post is more of a question to see how many people may be interested. I have several Ceratozamia latifolia plants that are around 4 inches in stem diameter and have a 4-5 foot spread. Most are a good 5 feet. I forget it has been so long, they are about 15-20 years old. For those who don't know, these plants are super cold hardy and hold good leaves even during a freeze of 14F. They have beautiful brown emergent leaves. I have already been pulling males and females out of this group. I have been selling these at $85-$130 each. If I were to sell groups of 10 or 20, how many of you people living in colder areas would be interested in investing in these for $40-$45 each?

Tom Broome

The Cycad Jungle

• Like 1

We don't have the insects here that do Ceratozamias. I've only heard about sporadic pollinations in southern Texas and southern California. That's better for me anyway. At one time I was pollinating 10 different types of ceratozamias. I keep a pollen bank in my freezer with about 40 species in it, so I can take care of what I need each year.  Tom

Tom, are you still selling off most of your stuff down there? I would still love to try and make it down there sometime....just got back from Disney...but alas ....no time for plants when the kids and wife are in tow .... I sent your message above to a cycad loving friend ...will let you know if he might be interested

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Tom,  I'll take 10 of these and a lot several others from you in a few weeks when we swing by.

Alicehunter, I am still looking at selling the majority of my big cycads, or if an offer came in on all my cycads, I would sell them all except for maybe about a dozen plants. Most of them aren't even just the most expensive ones, but things like a sexed pair of the spineless hildaes that took me 15 years to make. I had one customer come out and bought about 25 big cycads, but that didn't put a dent in the over all collection. I have just started talking to a garden who is interested in all the big Encephalartos as a package deal in my one big greenhouse, but we haven't started taking price yet. There is one group of people who want to be the next hildae kings of the world, which is a really good idea given their cold hardiness and versatility, want to have a few thousand of them, but that too has just been talk. A lot of people talk, but very few actually go for the investment. Cycads are a long time investment that can make a payback for 10 generations of a family's future, but people now a days are always looking for a fast in fast out kind of investment. I'm sure I will have plenty of things even if you don't show up for another year or two. The hot peppers are kicking ass though.

Texas, what time frame are you thinking you will be here?

Tom

We'll probably stop by first on the 14 or 15th, make a deal on as many cycads as we can and then swing back by on the 17-18th to load everything up. I'll pm or call you late next week to give a firmer time. 

21 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

We'll probably stop by first on the 14 or 15th, make a deal on as many cycads as we can and then swing back by on the 17-18th to load everything up. I'll pm or call you late next week to give a firmer time. 

That sounds good. I will be holding 10 of the better ones for you, even if someone comes out before then. I'm going to be so busy preparing for the firey food festival on the11-12 that I don't expect anyone coming out anyway.

For this who have never seen the color of the new leaves, here is a latifolia with new leaves

IMG_20160531_094228.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I would be interested in a female or two for the garden. I have what i just found out is latifolia. It is a male...