IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

RIP Ravenala madagascarensis - Traveler's palm

DoomsDave

My big Ravenala madagascarensis appears to have croaked. Died. Gone Norwegian Blue.TM

:crying:

527.thumb.JPG.d844d9fa873d5eaa0ecf6e3535526.thumb.JPG.8e8bb86ac3bd780356ac87547f

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What happened suddenly?
Beetle? roots issue?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

I have never seen them just die like that.Certainly without sending up new suckers.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Good question.

It had suckers, which I removed.

It just went into sudden decline.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

11 hours ago, Pip said:

Oh thats unfortunate. But it makes more room for palms

Well, true.

I hope the salty crying towel makes good fertilizer . . . .

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Well, true.

I hope the salty crying towel makes good fertilizer . . . .

looks like butch is gonna get a new friend..?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

There is a little green on it so hopefully there's still hope you maybe come back a little or pup.  I don't think something like that I can die of old age.  Maybe it's just waiting for warmer weather.  Did you save one of the suckers hopefully? 

1 hour ago, Kevin S said:

There is a little green on it so hopefully there's still hope you maybe come back a little or pup.  I don't think something like that I can die of old age.  Maybe it's just waiting for warmer weather.  Did you save one of the suckers hopefully? 

chain saw roars

That's a buggar mate.......... She was a beauty :(

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

That was one of the nicer ones in So-Cal, in all modesty. Nice, wide fan of leaves. I don't get much wind, so they don't shred like in other places.

But, I'll find something to plant there . . . . :)

Wow. Saw this less than a year ago and it looked fantastic. Sorry, Dave. I'd be curious to what did it in. Mine seems to be pretty trouble free and fast.

• 3 weeks later...

Dave, 

You are scaring me. Didn't think a big one like yours would do that. Hoping mine doesn't suffer the same fate.

Two years ago.

2014-10-12%2017.37.08_zpsfelokg1r.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

All I can say is I would be saddened had that been my Traveler's palm. I have three clumps of them. My largest one is about the size of the one you lost. The first time I ever saw a traveler's palm in person was on the Caribbean island of Dominca, when my wife and I and six friends took a Carnival cruise to the Caribbean. I was in awe of the big one I saw down there. This was long before I ever moved to Florida. In my 9b location, I didn't think they would grow here. In fact when I moved here in 1997 I only saw two traveler's palms. One was a solitary one about the size of yours growing up in town (Lake Placid, Florida). The other was a big clump growing at a lakeside (where it's warmer at night) property.

There was absolutely no availability of traveler's palms in my county, but one day our Home Depot got some in -- and I snatched some. Lo and behold they grew for me, but did get some frost damage, and in January of 2010 and again in December of 2010 were totally defoliated. But since then they haven't been hurt. I made this video yesterday and uploaded it to YouTube tonight,, in case anyone in this thread wants to see it (I don't plan on posting it as a stand alone topic).

Mad about palms

1 hour ago, Walt said:

There was absolutely no availability of traveler's palms in my county, but one day our Home Depot got some in -- and I snatched some. Lo and behold they grew for me, but did get some frost damage, and in January of 2010 and again in December of 2010 were totally defoliated. But since then they haven't been hurt. I made this video yesterday and uploaded it to YouTube tonight,, in case anyone in this thread wants to see it (I don't plan on posting it as a stand alone topic).

It is amazing what these plants can come back from. The two stumps on in the pic below are travelers along what what I think is a bottle palm:

2011.thumb.jpg.fbe8f36918fd7a657544fc25c

Apparently the one on the left died, but despite looking terrible in 2011 the one on the right looks pretty good today:

2016.jpg.a035e737488cfd109d59753d2e2f2ae

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Well, December 2010 killed two bottle palms. My biggest one was about the size of the one in the pic you posted. The other one was smaller but well trunked. That's it for me with respect to trying to grow bottle palms. I do have a nice spindle palm that gets no protection from me. It's planted in a semi sheltered area. No problem at all the past few winters, but it was planted in 2011, so it missed the December 2010 11-day cold spell.

I wished I had thought of it before I made my traveler palm video, as I could have added lots of still pics showing its size when planted and also when it was totally defoliated. I guess the traveler's palm are fairly tough plants, your pic pretty much proves that. And my biggest traveler's palm saw very low 20s in December of 2010, and it came back strong.

Mad about palms