IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix rupicola - show us yours

DoomsDave

On 6/6/2016, 1:50:26, Phoenikakias said:

I'd say rather pant, pant, pant for the sylvestris growing in the background...

That's a rupicola, which is part of the thread.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

18 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Here's one of two I have in pots. It's really put on some size this summer, however this Phoenix species (in my 9a/9b zone) is sensitive to both frost and strong sun in my yard, just like P. roebelenii

Phoenix_ruplicola2017.jpg

7 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Nope, definitely hardier than roebelenii, albeit not in a significant extent as far as your local conditions are concerned.

I'd be very careful about keeping rupies in a place that's too cool for too long, even if it won't freeze. They really want their heat. Robies seem to take the cool a lot better.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Nope, definitely hardier than roebelenii, albeit not in a significant extent as far as your local conditions are concerned.

Yes, I agree with you on P. rupicola being a bit hardier than P. roebelenii -- but that can be very site-specific in my locale. I've seen some P. roebelenii around town in various exposures that do well each winter and others that burn back severely. I don't think I've ever seen a P. rupicola in my area, at least not in a public setting, though we have plenty of stately old CIDPs. Full sun during our dry, hot summers takes a toll on some of the subtropicals I (try to) grow here. I've learned that many will only tolerate half-day morning sun. 

I have discovered during pot cultivation at times both of roebelenii and rupicola, that former is considerably more drought tolerant. In fact it hates to wet all the time as a seedling, which could lead to its death. Totally other properties than rupicola, which hates also exessive heat. So regarding public plantings, whereas selected plants have in short to fend for themselves most of the time, rupicola may have a second hard time beside winter yearly, which is the peak of summer in mediterranean climates. This alone is imo a sufficient reason that it may not serve as a public plant, not to mention the much larger leaves in relation to the slow growth rate. Truth is that roebelenii specimens in most favorable microclimates are more and more selected as potted plants for public places here for the above mentioned reasons.

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...