IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Armageddon Palm - Acrocomia -- show us yours!

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

I was out taking pictures of another palm when I noticed the lethal Armageddon Palm.TM  It's an Acrocomia, not sure about the species, not sure the botanists agree on how many there are (let me know if I'm wrong on that!)

It's about the same size as a Syagrus romanzoffianum, but needs a lot more water to be happy.

There are so many reasons to hate them, I love them anyway. Show us yours!

513.thumb.JPG.a8a6c79e6009fb80d5ac0089df511.thumb.JPG.440fdd33c506aacc83ab1c7548510.thumb.JPG.6d6c9f8e3dca0bd73754f5e3a6509.thumb.JPG.eec834783d63f211f0a1acf948508.thumb.JPG.5072f22ac951eb44fa15cb28aa

• Upvote 11

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I've passed on these cause of the thorns.  I'm sick of thorns so I will enjoy your Acrocromia in your photos.  That's exactly how I enjoy Sycamores too, but for different reasons.  

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

I was offered one for free and turned it down. It is basically a queen palm with spines; it is pretty cool but I wouldn't want kids around it and it probably would be a negative when/if I sell my home.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

BUT!

Imagine the possibilities . . .

"We have ways to make you talk. Like tying you to the Tree . . . . "

• Upvote 5

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

BUT!

Imagine the possibilities . . .

"We have ways to make you talk. Like tying you to the Tree . . . . "

Oh, :blink: so it’s better to cancel my intended visit to your garden … :crying:

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

11 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

It's about the same size as a Syagrus romanzoffianum, but needs a lot more water to be happy.

11 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

It is basically a queen palm with spines;

So from a distance it looks a lot like a Queen palm, but as you get closer, you see that it has needles so rule out the Queen?  If you get too close, or are cleaning up after it has dropped a frond, you get the benefit of experiencing the needles first hand (pun intended)?  Dave, sounds like a very subtle appeal to the most elite collector to appreciate this palm.  I will be another one, who will appreciate this palm in your garden rather than being a me-too and adding one to my garden.  :P

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

So from a distance it looks a lot like a Queen palm, but as you get closer, you see that it has needles so rule out the Queen?  If you get too close, or are cleaning up after it has dropped a frond, you get the benefit of experiencing the needles first hand (pun intended)?  Dave, sounds like a very subtle appeal to the most elite collector to appreciate this palm.  I will be another one, who will appreciate this palm in your garden rather than being a me-too and adding one to my garden.  :P

Well, given it has so many thorns you can tell from more of a distance. If you took away the thorns it would basically look the same... Acrocomia totai is more cold tolerant than a queen so I recommend them for people living a little too far north to own a queen.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

One of my favorites. I like them much better than the Queen Palms. Its one of those palms that says "look but do not touch'.

pizap.com14645397390261.jpg

Edited by Tampa Scott
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Tampa Scott said:

One of my favorites. I like them much better than the Queen Palms. Its one of those palms that says "look but do not touch'.

pizap.com14645397390261.jpg

That is much prettier than a queen palm.  But still, the clean up.

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Not a palm you'll smuggle taped to your Sensitiveplace . . . .

• Upvote 3

I would love to have this one in my garden.

Gorgeous palm. But unfortunately very hard to find.

Really love this palm, have had one for a couple of years, seems to grow fairly fast......it's a  chore to trim but beauty has it's price, yes?

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

12 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Oh, :blink: so it’s better to cancel my intended visit to your garden … :crying:

We don't need to make you talk!

You just talk!

Which is great!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, knell said:

i want to plant a whole row of them down the driveway

I have one runt in a 5-gallon pot, exactly like the Armageddon palm you see pictured. It looks so sad, aww, poor baby, OUCH

Dave,

I have a 20-22' tall guy growing at the vista garden. you have to see it in person to believe me..B)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

5 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Dave,

I have a 20-22' tall guy growing at the vista garden. you have to see it in person to believe me..B)

Mines about the same size. Given plenty of water they're fast!

Here's mine opening a new frond full of thorns. It's still a baby but its already dangerous. Ouch!

IMG_20160530_57339.thumb.jpg.e777047bb5bIMG_20160530_12313.thumb.jpg.8c0a2f1e9f0

• Upvote 3

Queens don't normally hold their fronds below horizontal do they? For that reason alone makes it more attractive IMO. 

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

On 5/29/2016, 3:56:26, Cikas said:

I would love to have this one in my garden.

Gorgeous palm. But unfortunately very hard to find.

The big problem with them is that the seeds can literally take 5 years to germinate. And the spines. They'd be worth a shot where you are.

I have a couple for sale if anyone is interested in them?

they are monster sized 15 gals...

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

These may be javelina resistant, which is nice in my area. Javelina just ate all of the fronds off of my Sabal uresana:(

Wow I love those thorns! I'd have one in a heartbeat if I could.

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

I don't know about how these look in California, but mine looks nothing like a Queen palm. The trunk is at least double the diameter of my biggest Queen! I have three pods of seeds which I think are almost ripe, if anyone wants to attempt germinating them. I am glad I have a gardener for this tree. Even pruning fronds can be dangerous. I grabbed one once with leather welding gloves and the thorns went straight thru like I was wearing the woolen mitts that my Mom knitted for me when I was a kid!

Acrocomia1-wb.jpg

Acrocomia2-wb.jpg

Acrocomia3-wb.jpg

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Got half a 5 gallon pot full without even risking picking the ones from the trunk area. Anyone have any advice on germination techniques? The exocarp is tough as $@&#. I can barely scratch it with a sharp knife!

Acrocomia-seeds2-wb.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Yours does look different.  Did you buy it locally in RGV as A. aculeata?  I germinated a seed this past year that I collected (it took about 18 months).  I took a hammer to crack the outside shell, ate the fruit (not much flesh, but tasty), then planted the cleaned seed.  Mine is growing pretty fast and I'm considering planting it out in the garden, but I'm reading where A. totai would be more cold hardy for my area.  I wouldn't mind trying again with the seed - especially if yours is more cold hardy :)  Let me know if you still have some left - I think this thread started before I joined...

Jon

Jon Sunder

Since you have a lot I would just remove the fruit and tap them open with a hammer.  You will destroy a few but just eat the damaged ones - they taste great!  Germination can be really fast once the shell is removed.  Otherwise it's a long wait.

I should have taken the camera to Ft. Pierce's Heathcote Botanical Gardens yesterday.  The Acrocomia is carefully kept away from people.  I carried a fallen leaf away to the trash pile.  It's taller than the garden's large Syagrus, has a comparable crown.  Spines are the worst.  Not the biggest, but the nastiest.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

They kind of make Calamus spines look tame.

A great palm to put around your boundary to keep intruders out. :D

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

On May 28, 2016 at 10:51:46 PM, DoomsDave said:

Howdyall:

I was out taking pictures of another palm when I noticed the lethal Armageddon Palm.TM  It's an Acrocomia, not sure about the species, not sure the botanists agree on how many there are (let me know if I'm wrong on that!)

There are so many reasons to hate them, I love them anyway. Show us yours!

513.thumb.JPG.a8a6c79e6009fb80d5ac0089df511.thumb.JPG.440fdd33c506aacc83ab1c7548510.thumb.JPG.6d6c9f8e3dca0bd73754f5e3a6509.thumb.JPG.eec834783d63f211f0a1acf948508.thumb.JPG.5072f22ac951eb44fa15cb28aa

The wicked queen of the west?

• Upvote 1

Just thought of this...how do you dispose of those old, dead fronds?  

I don't have any Acrocomias, but grow Astrocaryum, Aiphanes, Bactris, Verschaffeltia and Pigafetta to name a few. I do try to be careful where I plant them!

Cindy Adair

11 hours ago, Keith in SoJax said:

The wicked queen of the west?

The palm that is!

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

The palm that is!

Si!  

12 hours ago, Keith in SoJax said:

Just thought of this...how do you dispose of those old, dead fronds?  

VERY CAREFULLY.

Wear geavy-duty rubber gloves, either in the shredder or in the garbage. Thorns end up in the rug if you try to use them as kindling in the fireplace.

Could do with with a couple of these to deter kids throwing rubbish in my front garden when on the way to school:angry:

Shame they wouldn't stand the prolonged cold and damp of a British winter and I'm damned if I'm going to have one pot plunged then have to move it:o