IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Armageddon Palm - Acrocomia -- show us yours!

DoomsDave

5 hours ago, Pando said:

This thing is insane, I'm surprised that the seeds don't have spikes on them...

Evolution probably selected for plants that didn't kill the seed disseminators.  :D

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

• 7 months later...
On 5/29/2016, 12:35:05, DoomsDave said:

BUT!

Imagine the possibilities . . .

"We have ways to make you talk. Like tying you to the Tree . . . . "

You could sell your house to, them, you know, the Men and Woman You Don't Dare Mention.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 9/16/2016, 12:32:53, Mantis sp. said:

Hello!

This is Acrocomia media  from Puerto Rico. Some specimens( like this) are very huge and variables.

57dc4768163b5_IMG_20150216_1706102.thumb

IMG_20150216_170731.thumb.jpg.8f14fde210

IMG_20150216_165519.thumb.jpg.052cada05c

57db736b937b5_IMG_20150216_1708502.thumb

WHOA!

Was that your footwear you were holding? I hope you held your un-shod foot well above the ground.

IMG_2379.thumb.JPG.c2e85e5cc684bf706d1bf

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a photo of my Acrocomia media.  Spines  everywhere.  The Acrocomia vinifera that I have is 25 feet tall.  I just took a metal rod and knocked off the spines out of the way,  too tall to trim, just have to wait for the wind to knock the fronds down.  By the way, the wind blowing the fronds across the trunk knocks the spines off leaving a clean trunk.  You don't know how many people stop by and ask about my "queen palm".  After showing the spines, they decide not to trim it!

I love these Acrocomias.  The queen palms just suffer here in phoenix.

rod

IMG_2523.JPG

• Upvote 3

I really wonder, what, exactly, was the "engine" for an evolutionary advantage in getting that spiny?

Megatherium, perhaps?

Looks like something out of a horror film.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

1 hour ago, Rod said:

Here's a photo of my Acrocomia media.  Spines  everywhere.  The Acrocomia vinifera that I have is 25 feet tall.  I just took a metal rod and knocked off the spines out of the way,  too tall to trim, just have to wait for the wind to knock the fronds down.  By the way, the wind blowing the fronds across the trunk knocks the spines off leaving a clean trunk.  You don't know how many people stop by and ask about my "queen palm".  After showing the spines, they decide not to trim it!

rod

IMG_2523.JPG

Do the Gila Woodpeckers bother Acrocomias?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pando said:

You can also see this fine specimen at the next PSSC meet!

wqzI67v.jpg

Disclaimer:

Hugging is extremely ill-advised!

• Upvote 2

Is it giving any edible fruits. Or any sweet wine? I would tend to think so in the name of Darwin. These stings are probably to prevent hungry animals to climb up the tree

5 hours ago, Jeff_Cabinda said:

Is it giving any edible fruits. Or any sweet wine? I would tend to think so in the name of Darwin. These stings are probably to prevent hungry animals to climb up the tree

I have a vague recolection that the spines are present underground too!  Can anyone confirm this?

The woodpecker has not bothered any of my Acrocomias, yet (or my hyphaenes!).  It will fly off and land on my tall washingtonia but has not drilled any holes in that.  I hear it in a washy a couple of homes away - probably a nest there.

rod

phoenix, az

46 minutes ago, Rod said:

The woodpecker has not bothered any of my Acrocomias, yet (or my hyphaenes!).  It will fly off and land on my tall washingtonia but has not drilled any holes in that.  I hear it in a washy a couple of homes away - probably a nest there.

rod

phoenix, az

Keep us apprised of your woodpecker peccadilloes!

On 5/8/2017, 4:30:03, DoomsDave said:

Do the Gila Woodpeckers bother Acrocomias?

2 hours ago, Rod said:

rod

phoenix, az

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

Rio_Grande.gif

7 minutes ago, foxtail said:

giphy.gif

Looks like Woody's had a bit too much rum!

• Upvote 1

Just now, DoomsDave said:

Looks like Woody's had a bit too much rum!

Bacardi!!!:lol:

Rio_Grande.gif

On 9/5/2017 21:06:41, richnorm said:

I have a vague recolection that the spines are present underground too!  Can anyone confirm this?

I've read the following about the underground spines:

...a defensive strategy against digging mammals, such as the wild pig, the armadillo (Dasypus septemcinctus), the Tatu Carreta or giant armadillo (Priodontes maximus)...

• Upvote 1

08053.gif

Will not find me hugging one of these unless I can get up there high enough were the wind blown leaves have removed the spines.

pizap.com14945376629901.thumb.jpg.d12e0bpizap.com14945377587021.thumb.jpg.3482c5

• Upvote 2

On 5/8/2017, 12:02:35, Rod said:

rod

IMG_2523.JPG

Rod, how old is your vinifera? I'm trying to get an idea of its growth rate. I just bought some seeds. The seller claims they have been planted for almost 3 years and are "ready to sprout". Judging from the shell hardness, I highly doubt that to be true. I cracked one open with a pair of vice grips and it came out perfect with no damage. Any germination tips?

• 1 month later...

When I planted this palm back in the 90's, it just took off!  After developing a trunk, it grew really fast.  Several years it grew 3' each year.  It has since slowed down (thank goodness!) - I think the flowers helped slow it down.  Now if I could only get it to put out several flower stalks at the same time I might even get some seeds.  They say acrocomia's are self fertile; however, it is rare for me to get seeds.  Probably need more than one.

rod