IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix dactylifera in uk

palm789

Does anyone know if you can get these palms in the uk

Edited by palm789

Buy some dates and germinate the seeds.  They are super easy and super fast to germinate.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

On 5/28/2016, 1:27:52, Pal Meir said:

… and are super handsome :greenthumb: as potted palms (grown up from commercial date):

5749ff1fe8029_Phoenixdactylifera1977-04-

I like how you date all your pictures.

pretty cool :) 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 4 weeks later...

While I think P. dactylifera really prefers hot weather, I could be wrong, so I gotta ask. Has anyone successfully grown a P. dactylifera to maturity in the UK?

Jeremy Breland
itinerant public garden horticulturist
A native of the US Gulf Coast: USDA hardiness zone 8b-9b; AHS heat zone 8-9, Sunset climate zone 28; Trewartha climate classification: Cf-humid subtropical; Hot and humid summers with occasional droughts, warm and wet winters punctuated by cold snaps.

Currently in New Orleans, LA, zone 9b, heat zone 8

1 hour ago, JMBreland said:

While I think P. dactylifera really prefers hot weather, I could be wrong, so I gotta ask. Has anyone successfully grown a P. dactylifera to maturity in the UK?

No, not in the outdoors. It is to wet and to cool at once. Even in the Torquay, where CIDP's are known to grow well, some already as large specimens outplanted dactylifera do not look well, I can say  with certainty that some of them will decline to death in the near future

Doubt it. Our winters are too wet. Get a frost on top of rain-mush

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Mature Phoenix dactylifera have been tried a few times in the UK & none have ever lasted very long.

After the filming of "Full Metal Jacket" in London's Docklands many large P. dactylifera that were used to make it look a bit more like Vietnam, were given/sold to various people/local councils. Unfortunately they were not treated great during the filming (being almost blown up, not watered & some concreted into holes or skips!) but what finished them off was that following winter in the UK, 1987, which gave record breaking cold to many areas, so they all died...

Some years ago a display garden at Chelsea had some mature ones & some were given to Kew Gardens & planted outside & also to Paignton Zoo in Devon, those too died either not long after or withered away after a couple of years...

More recently a couple of years ago a new development in Torquay in Devon planted several large mature P. Dactylifera & despite going through two mild winters they are not looking good, a few look almost dead & a few look a bit better, but I'm sure it wont be long before they are all sadly no more...

Phoenix canariensis are far better suited to the UK climate though. And they are hardy along the south coast & in London.

• Like 1

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

P. dactylifera 'Medjool' and 'Deglet Noors' stand up happily to our wet, humid climate here in Florida. So, I think it's the lack of heat in the UK that prevents their success there. 

• Upvote 3

Jeremy Breland
itinerant public garden horticulturist
A native of the US Gulf Coast: USDA hardiness zone 8b-9b; AHS heat zone 8-9, Sunset climate zone 28; Trewartha climate classification: Cf-humid subtropical; Hot and humid summers with occasional droughts, warm and wet winters punctuated by cold snaps.

Currently in New Orleans, LA, zone 9b, heat zone 8

• 1 month later...
On 30/06/2016, 02:39:32, JMBreland said:

P. dactylifera 'Medjool' and 'Deglet Noors' stand up happily to our wet, humid climate here in Florida. So, I think it's the lack of heat in the UK that prevents their success there. 

Cold wet winters

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

There is a mature CIDP/true date palm cross at chateau Le chaire gardens in jersey in the Channel Islands, my brother and I posted some picks a while back on the UK growing on the edge forum pretty cool. Have not seen a pure true date palm in the uk 

Max High. (°C) 39         Av Days >= 30 degC 5    
Min Low. (°C) -5         Av Days <= 0 degC 26    

• 4 years later...

Anyone in the U.K. have any small but fronded ones? No spear-only specimens, please! 

simonanthondyer@hotmail.com