IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Smart Irrigation Controllers

Hammer

This week I received, and installed, a new smart irrigation controller from Skydrop.

So far there is a LOT to like.  I think this new controller is really going to help me take much better care of my palms and other landscape plants.

Curious who else out there in PT-land is using a smart controller, what you bought and what your positive and/or negative experience has been.

• Upvote 1

Rachio Iro. Love mine. I watered my garden during a 100 degree Santa Ana while in Madagascar.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I don't know exactly how smart ours is to a really smart one. In fact, It is probably digitally challenged.

It is  a programmable timer. We can put in how long to turn on for, and how often. We are very happy with that.

What does a smart one do?

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Looked it up on their web site but they do not tell you a lot. How does it read the local weather report? I assume there has to be some sort of language to allow them to interface or do Skydrop generate the report? No indication of allowable max current draw  either. Not what I would want but I can see the advantages for users in areas with designated watering times that could change in your absence. I just replaced my Toro controller due to failure of the liquid crystal display with a Hunter   I-Core which is excellent for my needs. Possibly I am a bit of a Ludite with some smart technology .

Kind regards John K.

I have Rain Machine and love it.

And with the rebate program, how can you not install one!

• Upvote 1

I use a hunter irrigation controller and its fantastic. A friend of mine uses Rainbird also very good

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

21 hours ago, gtsteve said:

What does a smart one do?

My understanding is they take multiple weather data source inputs, soil, terrain, plants, and so on and they create a watering schedule that is customized by zone.  As the wind or weather heats up, it will water more.  But every zone runs independently based on its needs.

Traditional controllers run a program like...20 minutes MWF.  

Can be operated manually via phone app or website as Len said.

Like Jim said, great rebates too. Thing is practically free.  Can't believe I didn't buy one years ago.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, strandoo said:

How does it read the local weather report? I assume there has to be some sort of language to allow them to interface or do Skydrop generate the report?  

Skydrop and Rain Machine tap NOAA and Weather Underground for the forecast as well as actual current weather conditions.  These inputs have a big influence on duration and frequency of watering. 

• 1 year later...

Bump. I just installed a Rachio. It was so easy! For those that use one, are you sticking to the schedules you usually use or did you let your controller basically take over based on weather data?

9 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Bump. I just installed a Rachio. It was so easy! For those that use one, are you sticking to the schedules you usually use or did you let your controller basically take over based on weather data?

I have let the system take over.  BUT I have had to tweak those schedules. 

For example, a zone might be set to water every 3 days for 20 minutes with average temps at 80f.  And then increase or decrease watering based on changes to the weather. 

What smart controllers can't do very well is determine if the base watering length and frequency is adequate for what ever you planted.  So I have had to adjust this from zone to zone.  

I have also made volume adjustments through the dialing up or down of drippers per plant.  

Hope that makes sense.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Let the device make the decisions most of the time.

When we have a heatwave forecast, I turn on certain zones for more water.

Easy to do from any wireless device which is great!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Hammer said:

I have let the system take over.  BUT I have had to tweak those schedules. 

For example, a zone might be set to water every 3 days for 20 minutes with average temps at 80f.  And then increase or decrease watering based on changes to the weather. 

What smart controllers can't do very well is determine if the base watering length and frequency is adequate for what ever you planted.  So I have had to adjust this from zone to zone.  

I have also made volume adjustments through the dialing up or down of drippers per plant.  

Hope that makes sense.

True.....

3 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Let the device make the decisions most of the time.

When we have a heatwave forecast, I turn on certain zones for more water.

Easy to do from any wireless device which is great!

Yes.  Whatever Jim says, listen to this.  His place is really dialed in.  I copy him whenever possible. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies. I'm concerned that I may have done something wrong as it is only scheduling to water my palms about ever week and a half, about 20 minutes, on drippers. Maybe that's due to the cooler weather, but it's not that cool. I've tried customizing my emitters as well as changing the soil types. Any other thoughts?

Here's one such zone.

IMG_0270.PNG

IMG_0271.PNG

Matt,

I do not own Rachio so I can not address the issue.

Hopefully someone else will chime in soon.

40 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Matt,

I do not own Rachio so I can not address the issue.

Hopefully someone else will chime in soon.

Thanks, Jim. I'm starting to think my soil type isn't as clay-like as I had thought. Time to do some digging!

That watering schedule seems way off.  Is your location correct?   Maybe it thinks you are in a different zip code.

• 9 months later...

@Jesse I have 2 2nd Gen controllers and am pretty happy with them. I think I've got them dialed in sufficiently after doing some soil surveys and tests. It's funny. I never would have thought that being able to control sprinklers from my phone would be a big advantage, but it really is. It's nice to be able to give everything an extra water if we have freak 100-degree days.

A few issues: with 2 controllers, it'd be really great if they could talk to each other, but they can't. In other words if I don't want them watering the same days/times, I have to set each controller with different watering days. Another issue is I'm not happy with my official weather station and it seems that private weather station data feeds can be inconsistent for use with a flex daily schedule. Other than that, so far, I'm a happy customer. 

Oh, and the water company gave me a full rebate for each controller. They both ended up being free!

Do the newer digital timers gauge how much water they put out? I saw the Rachio on prime and thought about it but didnt want to jump on something without researching it  wish j had read this post. :)

Just be careful to add plenty of water your newly planted palms in addition to what these timers put out. The smart timers are great for mature planting areas, but they will kill your newly planted palms.

Don't know how useful they are in So Cal since it pretty much never rains here. Just setting a regular timer to deep water your mature garden 3 times a week should suffice. 

Actually by setting the root depth and allowed depletion you can keep young palms in California plenty moist. The last Rachio update removed the gallons used.