IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus 'Manipur'

sashaeffer

Getting this beauty next week(one on left) and was wondering if anyone here had any growing experience with this palm long term.  While I have 7 T. Fortunei in the ground here in my climate this one will remain potted(into larger one than shown) when I get it.  It has experienced down to 14f in cold frame so far

Anyone have one of these long term?

Scott/Omaha USA

IMG_5506 (1).JPG

• Upvote 3

They are one of the most beautiful Trachys

and quite often overlooked...I don't have any that

size but the very small one I have in the ground has

proved to be quite tough.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've got a couple in the ground here in Gainesville, but they obviously haven't been tested as far as cold is concerned.  That's a really nice one there!  They are painfully slow!

• Upvote 1

I have one in the ground here.  Seems about as care-free as any other Trachy I have.  Definitely one of the slower ones though.  That's probably good for you, Scott.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I was given one by another palm enthusiast, a few years ago. Smaller than the  ones you've pictured but should be fine in my 8b garden. I'd like to plant it on out this spring, just have to remember and get to it. Best of luck with yours.

Cheers, Barrie.

Edited by Las Palmas Norte
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

They are one of the most beautiful Trachys

and quite often overlooked...I don't have any that

size but the very small one I have in the ground has

proved to be quite tough.

How many years in the ground Jim?   This one I'm getting will be in 20 gallon container as I really don't have room left around the house for anymore in the ground palms, let along the electricity to over winter them. Maxing out the electrical load on various circuits as it is.

Just a couple and it is very small but

this year it should produce divided leaves...

I have been in the same situation with maxing out electricity...

the solution is more insulation as it takes less heat...

T. Manipur arrived and much nicer than I could have hoped. Will enjoy a nice sunny spot on back patio with a Mule palm(in corner) and many other species.

For $60 + Shipping couldn't pass it up.

DSCF0083.JPG

DSCF0084.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

Very nice!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

18 minutes ago, sashaeffer said:

He has more!

Unfortunately I'm in England with a postage stamp sized garden

• Upvote 1

Manipur is the former inofficial name for the valid ukhrulense. Some people see a greate similarity and perhaps even a conspecific relationship between manipur/ukhrulense, takil and oreophilus. Is there any practical way that we can tell them apart at that size and age?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Howeadypsis said:

Unfortunately I'm in England with a postage stamp sized garden

So I would recommend a Trachycarpus bonsaii, which might fit to your postage stamp garden, too :greenthumb::lol: (it is now 13 years old and was last winter all days outdoors; the Ø of the pot is 12 cm):

5752ee564c50c_Twagner2016-06-04P1010705.

• Upvote 3

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

2 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

So I would recommend a Trachycarpus bonsaii, which might fit to your postage stamp garden, too :greenthumb::lol: (it is now 13 years old and was last winter all days outdoors; the Ø of the pot is 12 cm):

5752ee564c50c_Twagner2016-06-04P1010705.

That looks fantastic 

Best to plant that bonsai Trachycarpus out in the garden! At a sunny shelterd spot it should do well.

Alexander

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Explorer said:

Best to plant that bonsai Trachycarpus out in the garden! At a sunny shelterd spot it should do well.

Alexander

I love it, think it's great

1 hour ago, Explorer said:

Alexander

No, I won’t plant it in the ground. My aim is to keep it small as long as possible so that I can host it in my green home for further 100 years. All other Trachys I owned got too big and I had to give them away (and most of them died), only two other bonsai Trachys I planted in 2007 resp. 2014 in ground in Heidelberg (cf. Cold Hardy Palms).

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

• 1 month later...

Beautiful!

I think this palm will rival Princeps when more

people are growing mature specimens.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

Beautiful!

I think this palm will rival Princeps when more

people are growing mature specimens.

It won't rival princeps here since it is quite a bit less hardy. That said, I've planted one this spring:-). Here it is:

IMG_3299.thumb.jpg.a6320c015f0a9fe726baa

• Upvote 2

• 8 months later...

My T. 'manipur' has a very noticeable fluffy brown fuzz, if you will, along the lower petioles. Here it is in a 2 gallon pot, overdue to be planted (this spring). I suspect the crown will widen once it's planted in open ground. Being confined in it's 2 gallon pot limits it's ability to carry lower fronds.

Cheers, Barrie.

T.manipur01.jpg

T.manipur02.jpg

• Upvote 3

Btw., the absolute low was only around -10C but temperatures in January basically never rose above 0 often staying at -4/-5 during the day, the average mean temperature was -3.

• Upvote 1

On 20/03/2017, 5:12:26, Flow said:

Btw., the absolute low was only around -10C but temperatures in January basically never rose above 0 often staying at -4/-5 during the day, the average mean temperature was -3.

Man. They are tough palms then.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Yes but mind you, my waggy still looks pristine and has no scratch while this one is half dead. It is much less hardy tan fortunei/wagnerianus.

Edited by Flow
  • Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...

I think these are fabulous palms. I've had one planted out for about 5 years. I grew it from seed in about 2004 and it was incredibly slow until it was planted out. Last year it produced about 7-8 leaves and its trunking nicely now. I honestly think this will rival princeps in the coming years. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Thats a nice one...I guess from Steve in Alabama???

I have a similar one in the ground now, looking to add a Nanus,Naga Hills,Latisectus

and Geminisectus by the end of the week.....

• Upvote 2

I am growing T. ukrulensis ´(Manipur)  for several years.I germinted and grew the little palms. They are not fast growers bt the last years are finally forming some trunks

DSCN8396.JPG

DSCN8387.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I don´t know why but when I rotate the photo it cannot be uploaded anymore to this forum. My biggest manipur was photographed this way

DSCN8389.JPG

DSCN8393.JPG

DSCN8383.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have two small ukhrulenses in the ground, one since only several weeks but in my collection since three or four years and the other one planted in the ground since 2012 in think. This last one lacks the white bottom of the leaves but maybe this feature will only show on older leaves. 

Any way, I didn't protect them much more than just a little plastic tipi when it temps got lower than -10°C (14°F) but man... they are slow! Although they have devided leaves since some years now the are still very small and crouching. 

Kr

Niek

• Upvote 1

Found the picture of the one that is planted in the ground since 2012. Back then still known as a manipur "Mount Victoria"

unnamed_593ff00dad596.jpg

I have a small Trachycarpus 'Mount Victoria' which is also very slow but I am not convinced it is the same as T. ukhrulensis.

Well you may be right! As said, it lacks for now the whitish bottom on the fronds which does occur on my other ukhrulensis of the same size, planted just weeks ago. 

Edited by lapalmeraie

Who knows but nice to see some other Mt. Victoria. There aren't that many around. Here's mine next to my ukhrulensis (still recovering). It always looks a bit chlorotic.. I have no smaller ukhrulensis to compare it to.

20170712_095830.thumb.jpg.b7b1296a76a9a9

• Upvote 1

I was wrong :blush:

I found the photos and its the Mount Victoria that has the white color, not the other one

IMG_2483.jpg 

IMG_2484.jpg 

IMG_2485.jpg 

IMG_2486.jpg 

Edited by lapalmeraie