IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycas Pollen needed ASAP

TexasColdHardyPalms

I am looking to cross a few female revolute this year and am looking for pollen from any species of cycas EXCEPT Revoluta.  If you have a male cone then I want to buy/trade/barter whatever for it.

Thanks,

Any Luck, Mine needs a mate... I am not sure how long the flower Is receptive. Just noticed it 5 days ago, looks like a large artichoke.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

• 2 weeks later...

No luck yet. Looks like the first girl isn't getting any action this year ..... i have three more coning that need a mate

On 19/5/2016, 8:48:20, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I am looking to cross a few female revolute this year and am looking for pollen from any species of cycas EXCEPT Revoluta.  If you have a male cone then I want to buy/trade/barter whatever for it.

Thanks,

It remains receptive for some time, i think, which is considerably larger than by palms.

Last year, in late June, have flourished simultaneously one my Cycas revoluta female and one male cycads guizhouensis,the  male cycads guizhouensis has produced lots of pollen!   I simply threw pollen on the female cycads revoluta for a few days,many seeds have formed and  have a good size,I have them  sown by about 40 days,  again nothing , only 2 seeds are open on one side, but not yet see any bud

Konstantinos I'm waiting to germinate at least 1 seed,  I will immediately send you some seeds, so sure that seeds are fertile

GIUSEPPE

Revoluta seeds need an extra time for post-maturing after harvest. This time may reach one year, that makes roughly two years after pollination.

How do you collect and store the pollen?  I've got a Cycas revoluta X Cycas debaoensis with a large male cone (My plant is only about 5 years old.  And this is the second year its gotten a cone..).  I've also got a revoluta pushing a female cone so I want to pollinate it with the pollen too.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the pollen and screened it. Almost all if it was pollen sacs and very little pollen at all. I'll try to pollenate my female debo. With the small amount of pollen and see what happens.