IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A tempting offer

Pip

A friend of mine has a Dypsis lutescens that needs to be removed from their garden. It has been in the ground for close to 15 years it is a nice size but may be a challenge to dig out without machinery. I plan on visiting the garden later in the week to assess just how horrible the job might be. 

I'm tempted by the opertunity to transplant to my garden as then I'll have a larger palm to look at while waiting for all my seedlings to grow. What I don't want though is a crusty crispy mess which could be what happens while it gets over the transplant.

Not real sure if it is worth the hassle but palm with a little bit of size can be difficult to come by and being a full time student I appreciate not having to part with $$$$$. What do you other think is it worth the hassle? The soil is still has a little bit of warmth but the nights are getting much cooler.

• Upvote 1

So it must be 15 - 20 ft. tall?  I had one removed from near my house for the same reason -- too big and too close to the house, but a decent palm.  A reliable backhoe operator came and took it away.  It was funny watching him drive down the street with it.

I would strongly recommend hiring heavy equipment for the job if the palm is around this size:

DSC_0147.thumb.jpg.7bea1f0645f13725131afDSC_0202.thumb.jpg.1fdad922599a525b88c6eDSC_0212.thumb.jpg.6ecc52f84034083d5d0e3

• Upvote 10

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I am afraid that as soon as your valuable seedlings have grown, you'll need to remove that Dypsis lutescens taking too much space.

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Golden canes are pretty tough and should survive the transplant but they are a total pain to dig up and then how will you get it back to your place?  Post some photos when you see what you are up against. Good luck!

Regards Neil

• Upvote 1

Our property in Winter Haven has a landscape built on saved palms.  If you want someone to talk you out of it, I'm not the guy. :-)  The story itself becomes nearly as fun as the palm.  

• Upvote 2

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

I bought 2 large ones on eBay and transplanted into my place when I first moved here. It was hard work but worth doing. Was good to have some established palms. They did transplant well. Besides you need to do it so you can share the before and after shots.

steve 

• Upvote 3

Reviewing the facts as they stand and the factors influencing your decision, I think that you will have to let it go.

You will most probably need machinery, it will be a very horrible/impossible job otherwise, but if machinery is used the palm will probably live. The amount of dirt that will come out with the roots will weigh a ton, I mean a tonne. It can be done to save the palm. It is just a monetary decision. If you can get it done for a price that suits you go ahead, but that is your hurdle. 

And one other thing. Golden canes do not have to grow like that impenetrable mess that was on that tractor, if all of those suckers are removed you can just keep three or four stems and the suckers stop developing. We have two 'clumps' of only four stems each which have not put up another shoot for over twelve years. They are no longer a clumping palm and take up little space.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

We have a very recent example of a transplant of Areca in Spain. Clump had almost all leaves removed and was equiped with a fairly limited root mass. @Monòver is welcome to participate in this topic.

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

We have a very recent example of a transplant of Areca in Spain. Clump had almost all leaves removed and was equiped with a fairly limited root mass. @Monòver is welcome to participate in this topic.

Yes, last year in March a i was transplanting one. It was in other garden and the last owner don't water it. It was poor and brown.

The rootball was small, because it was too big for me and nobody was with me for move it.

The recovery was fast and six months after it was totally recovered.

My opinion is, DO IT!!! You will be happy with your big palm.

March 2015

IMG-20160516-WA0008.thumb.jpg.2b49a2d8e3IMG-20160516-WA0005.thumb.jpg.10cc64df43

And in May 2016 ( My dogs want to be the star in the picture:floor:)

IMG-20160516-WA0007.thumb.jpg.91281c31b3IMG-20160516-WA0006.thumb.jpg.9d467e4de8

• Upvote 9

Pip:

If you can swing the cost of equipment (or have a bunch of really burly mates to help) that sounds like a worthwhile transaction. Monover's move turned out great!

Go and look and be sure there's enough room to get a good rootball; i.e., avoid a situation where there's concrete, stone, terra-cotta (etc) all round that no one wants to damage.

That species seems to move quite readily. They like plenty of water, and good drainage.

On the other hand, you're also getting into your winter over there. You might want to put it in a big tub and let it re-root in a sheltered spot.

Even if it dies back a bit, you should still be able to get the roots to re-start, after which new trunks will grow.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

19 hours ago, Kim said:

So it must be 15 - 20 ft. tall?  I had one removed from near my house for the same reason -- too big and too close to the house, but a decent palm.  A reliable backhoe operator came and took it away.  It was funny watching him drive down the street with it.

I would strongly recommend hiring heavy equipment for the job if the palm is around this size:

DSC_0147.thumb.jpg.7bea1f0645f13725131afDSC_0202.thumb.jpg.1fdad922599a525b88c6eDSC_0212.thumb.jpg.6ecc52f84034083d5d0e3

That is freaking awesome Kim!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still very undecided, from memory the palm offered is some where between the size of the one in Kim's photos and the one Monover in photos. I'm waiting for my friend to send me photos and measurements. Although I may just drive up to the inner northern suburbs and have a look.

The logistics of this exercise still need to be worked out. I have helped move some ridiculously heavy things, when I worked for a landscape company, and there was no access for heavy machinery.

I have had thought what others have said about the palm taking up valuable space once the rest of my collection gets some size. I do have a Dypsis lutescens in my garden already and eight Dypsis baronii seedlings and three Dypsis lanceolata which I like the look of better although doubt that would handle full sun in my climate.

My friend has given me a 4 to 6 week time frame. 

Golden canes transplant very easily. My tip is to water the heck out of it a few days before the move, then get some nice lifting equipment and pull it out, chuck it on a large trailer securely tied down and get it home to your place in a pre dug hole so it can be dropped straight in the moment it arrives. A couple of questions. What is your soil? Do you get frost?

I've transplanted with the use of a bobcat large golden canes in Perth sand. I used a trick an old palm transplanter who has since passed away taught me. You dig a big hole for the palm a bit bigger and deeper than what you normally would. Then you line the bottom of the hole to about 10cm up from the bottom level with a light sort of plastic. You put some soil back in the hole to fill in the plastic bowl you've created then you plant onto that and you fill the hole up with water as you back fill. The plastic creates an underground saucer that will always remain moist. Once the plant has established the roots will puncture the plastic and head down like normal. This is for very porous sandy soils. On clay you certainly wouldn't do this at all. But often on sand you can not keep up the vast amounts of water some palms demand in a transplant situation, especially if it's hot. When I've used this technique the palms didn't look back at all. They just took off better than when they were in the original position.

Now if you get frost, winter may be a bad time to do this. But if it's a case of getting a large plant, with a bit of protection even a bit of frost shouldn't stop you. If you don't get frost just go for it. They're tough.

• Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

2 hours ago, Pip said:

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still very undecided, from memory the palm offered is some where between the size of the one in Kim's photos and the one Monover in photos. I'm waiting for my friend to send me photos and measurements. Although I may just drive up to the inner northern suburbs and have a look.

The logistics of this exercise still need to be worked out. I have helped move some ridiculously heavy things, when I worked for a landscape company, and there was no access for heavy machinery.

I have had thought what others have said about the palm taking up valuable space once the rest of my collection gets some size. I do have a Dypsis lutescens in my garden already and eight Dypsis baronii seedlings and three Dypsis lanceolata which I like the look of better although doubt that would handle full sun in my climate.

My friend has given me a 4 to 6 week time frame. 

Hmmm.

Given your other facts, maybe snag for a friend

or even your local school or church for their garden?

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

10 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Golden canes transplant very easily. My tip is to water the heck out of it a few days before the move, then get some nice lifting equipment and pull it out, chuck it on a large trailer securely tied down and get it home to your place in a pre dug hole so it can be dropped straight in the moment it arrives. A couple of questions. What is your soil? Do you get frost?

I've transplanted with the use of a bobcat large golden canes in Perth sand. I used a trick an old palm transplanter who has since passed away taught me. You dig a big hole for the palm a bit bigger and deeper than what you normally would. Then you line the bottom of the hole to about 10cm up from the bottom level with a light sort of plastic. You put some soil back in the hole to fill in the plastic bowl you've created then you plant onto that and you fill the hole up with water as you back fill. The plastic creates an underground saucer that will always remain moist. Once the plant has established the roots will puncture the plastic and head down like normal. This is for very porous sandy soils. On clay you certainly wouldn't do this at all. But often on sand you can not keep up the vast amounts of water some palms demand in a transplant situation, especially if it's hot. When I've used this technique the palms didn't look back at all. They just took off better than when they were in the original position.

Now if you get frost, winter may be a bad time to do this. But if it's a case of getting a large plant, with a bit of protection even a bit of frost shouldn't stop you. If you don't get frost just go for it. They're tough.

Thanks Tyrone that's very helpful information. The soil in both gardens is very similar red brown earth more clay than sand so your light plastic moisture barrier won't be required. Very light frost can occur in my garden a few times during winter damage is normally superficial.  I'm not worried about cold so much I feel timing the move before the real wet arrives is more important. After a few days of rain my garden becomes awful to dig and too sloppy underfoot. 

If I do move this palm my last problem is were to plant it. Ideally it would be good to be able to side it off the trailer into the new hole.

received_10208299095148548.thumb.jpeg.08

Here it is. The reason why my friends want it removed is because it is in a location where it is never seen. It was originally under a pergola attached to the back of the house but the alfresco area was altered and extended which lead to the palm to be out of view. My freinds want to build an outdoor exercise area for their cats so the palm is in the way.

• Upvote 1

Nice palm! You'd be there all day if you had to dig that out by hand plus it would weigh a ton. Let us know what you decide.

Regards Neil

Wow, this is a monster! It will be nice in your garden, but now, the Winter is coming, may be is the worst time to transplant it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Pip said:

received_10208299095148548.thumb.jpeg.08

Here it is. The reason why my friends want it removed is because it is in a location where it is never seen. It was originally under a pergola attached to the back of the house but the alfresco area was altered and extended which lead to the palm to be out of view. My freinds want to build an outdoor exercise area for their cats so the palm is in the way.

That's a beauty. Worth the effort I reckon.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hey Pip! maybe root pruning it since its winter would be better to cause less shock, since it wont be producing much roots during the winter. you could do that now with a real sharp shovel by running it on the grinder. trenching the palm and back filling it. then coming back to get it with a machine in a few weeks. and im sure you have already seen the hose bib right in front of it so you know to be careful while digging.:greenthumb: look forward to seeing a report!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, empireo22 said:

Hey Pip! maybe root pruning it since its winter would be better to cause less shock, since it wont be producing much roots during the winter. you could do that now with a real sharp shovel by running it on the grinder. trenching the palm and back filling it. then coming back to get it with a machine in a few weeks. and im sure you have already seen the hose bib right in front of it so you know to be careful while digging.:greenthumb: look forward to seeing a report!

Root pruning is something I was thinking of doing. It would also give me an idea about the size of the root ball. Pipes are not a worry as the owner is a plumber. My track record for damaging pipes on a worksite is pretty good I've only damaged stormwater pipes.

• Upvote 1

I made time to visit the palm today mainly to get a real idea about its size that will influence the final planting position. My friend informed me that the palm has only been surviving on natural rainfall for the last few years. I removed all the dead leaves that easily pulled while I was there.

It has been decided that the burley bloke method will be used to remove the palm.

20160519_122452.thumb.jpg.26b5dd4b3b2def

20160519_124105.thumb.jpg.46671531b880b9

• Upvote 2

Make sure you have your Weetbix before you pull it out.

Can you gat a car around to that area? If so you could dig a ramp to slide it out of the hole (once all the roots are cut) and drag it out of the hole onto the level ground. Getting it onto a trailer will be the tough bit. 

45 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Make sure you have your Weetbix before you pull it out.

Can you gat a car around to that area? If so you could dig a ramp to slide it out of the hole (once all the roots are cut) and drag it out of the hole onto the level ground. Getting it onto a trailer will be the tough bit. 

A trailer can be pushed around to the palm but not this weekend as my friends pruned their small leaf weeping ficus, the huge piles of branches are blocking access. They will be spending the weekend making mulch. I have dog shows and a huge family gathering to attend. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Pip said:

I made time to visit the palm today mainly to get a real idea about its size that will influence the final planting position. My friend informed me that the palm has only been surviving on natural rainfall for the last few years. I removed all the dead leaves that easily pulled while I was there.

It has been decided that the burley bloke method will be used to remove the palm.

Hey Pip. that is a nice looking Specimen to be surviving only on Adelaide's rainfall. goes to show how tough they are and should be used more in Mediterranean climates.

as for the removal. no doubt you can dig it by hand. but lifting it on to a truck or trailer is another thing. and its not the stems that are heavy but the rootball might weigh 400 kilos. I guess if you can build a sturdy skid to the trailer you ratchet it on. and the same for when you drop it in it's new hole looking forward to some new pics and update. :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

On 16/05/2016, 20:55:33, Mohsen said:

an example of transplanting a palm ( Jubaea) properly...how much it cost I dont know ;)

http://www.marriedtoplants.com/palms/transplanting-jubaea-chilensis-chilean-wine-palm/

Thats an awesome story you shared Mohsen. My relocation project is not going to be anywhere near as professional as that Jubaea move. It will be the 'Bogan Pride' version although my wine at the end of the day will be served out of a glass bottle not a plastic silver and bag hanging form the hills hoist!

I have three possible locations in my yard each with their advatages and disadvantages. The first position is probably the best protected from wind being closest to the house, it offers tiny bit of shade in winter from the swimming pool shade structure. It is the furthest from the gardens gate but I can still get the trailer close to the location. Because it is next to a raised garden bed there is little need to dig very deep. The palm can be placed on the ground and soil can be mounded around it. Yes I have an issue with kikuyu and will need to be sprayed out.

20160520_123110.thumb.jpg.366e188629267b

20160520_124042.thumb.jpg.8a631105dce208

This first location my mean that my Plumeria may become to shaded luckily they don't mind being moved.

20160520_124238.thumb.jpg.8791f4a263a4a7

The next location near the blue cement mixer will place the palm in direct competition with a row of Allocasuarina. It will have a  little shade but it almost the lowest area of my yard so water and cold collect and air will collect there.

20160520_124338.thumb.jpg.87ac7630a85543

The final location under consideration is near my eastern boundery. It is probably the sunniest location of the three but I have concerns over the powerline above. Contractors prune any plant plant that looks to be growing towards the line.20160520_124526.thumb.jpg.3a5c870bef622e

Due to the powerlines I thought that the palm could go closer to the citrus trees. The Dracaena draco will most likely need to moved.20160520_124632.thumb.jpg.eefa5ff841396f

Pip

I may be able to lend a hand if needed, just need to confirm a time and day with the boss, weekdays maybe better as i can get the day off work and not have rug ruts to keep entertained. If its too big to either transport or relocate, could it be cut up into smaller more manageable sections?

Martin

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, hopper said:

Pip

I may be able to lend a hand if needed, just need to confirm a time and day with the boss, weekdays maybe better as i can get the day off work and not have rug ruts to keep entertained. If its too big to either transport or relocate, could it be cut up into smaller more manageable sections?

Martin

With the sacrifice of one or two stems I dare say that it is throughout possible. You just need a very good hand saw.

Edited by Phoenikakias

3 hours ago, Pip said:

Yes I have an issue with kikuyu 

Are you sure that it isn't an issue with the 'Victa'? :D

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

On May 18, 2016 at 12:03:59 PM, Pip said:

My freinds want to build an outdoor exercise area for their cats so the palm is in the way.

Did no one else see this? I'm really interested in what type of cats your friend has that they need an outdoor exercise area. Are they lions, and in need of a ring of fire? My three cats would be pleased as punch to just lay in the palm clump itself.

pics of the Big Cats please.

:-)

• Upvote 2

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)