IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fernandoa magnifica bloom

7 hours ago, Peter said:

First time for me here:

IMG_0733.JPG

It never gets old looking at these flowers Peter :) 

Thanks for sharing.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

:greenthumb: Very nice Peter.. Remember seeing this one in your Garden. What has been your experience with cold tolerance thus far?

Cold tolerance has been no problem-I've had no damage to foliage in the years I've had it in the ground, and I get in to the upper 28-30d range most years.  The only issue is with the flowers; I lost some buds to the cold as they were forming.  Incidentally, my F madagascariensis has been in bloom for 6 weeks as well.

• Upvote 1

San Fernando Valley, California

11 hours ago, Peter said:

Cold tolerance has been no problem-I've had no damage to foliage in the years I've had it in the ground, and I get in to the upper 28-30d range most years.  The only issue is with the flowers; I lost some buds to the cold as they were forming.  Incidentally, my F madagascariensis has been in bloom for 6 weeks as well.

Good to know Peter, thanks for the info. Been contemplating trialing one under conditions here.

Looks like a people-eating plant . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

14 hours ago, Peter said:

I've got seedlings if you're ever in SoCal.

IMG_0772.JPG

:greenthumb: Will let you know when i m planning on a return trip back to the area.

So nice!

Any idea if this might be invasive in Puerto Rico?

As pretty as African Tulip trees are I do not need to make a mistake and introduce another "take over the world" tree species. 

Cindy Adair

Wow that is a wonderfully exotic looking bloom. Think I need to add this one to my possible tree list.

• 1 year later...

This year the growth on my F. magnifica has accelerated and it's now branching, despite strong sun and heat waves this summer in Sacto. I'm hoping it will eventually flower in this pot (or a bigger one). It goes completely deciduous for months in my sunroom where it overwinters.

Fernandoa.jpg

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

This year the growth on my F. magnifica has accelerated and it's now branching, despite strong sun and heat waves this summer in Sacto. I'm hoping it will eventually flower in this pot (or a bigger one). It goes completely deciduous for months in my sunroom where it overwinters.

Fernandoa.jpg

Do you plan on eventually planting yours in the ground?

30 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Do you plan on eventually planting yours in the ground?

I don't think I'd risk it. The cold tolerance/hardiness range for this species is:  USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F) or higher. It's destined to be in a pot for the foreseeable future.  

I'm just hoping my Schotia brachypetala  and S. afra,  along with a couple of Daus cotinifolia  will get enough woody growth on them to be planted out eventually. As you are well aware, heat, sun and winter lows are always the issues here in interior NorCal. :huh:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hillizard said:

I don't think I'd risk it. The cold tolerance/hardiness range for this species is:  USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F) or higher. It's destined to be in a pot for the foreseeable future.  

I'm just hoping my Schotia brachypetala  and S. afra,  along with a couple of Daus cotinifolia  will get enough woody growth on them to be planted out eventually. As you are well aware, heat, sun and winter lows are always the issues here in interior NorCal. :huh:

Both species of Schotia should do fine up your way once they have acouple years of growing behind them.  Have had an S. afra specimen, started in San Jose, for several years in a pot. Has taken everything from 29 to 120f with reletive ease though the high 110s did leave some burnt foliage in its wake this summer . Will say that both are somewhat slow but steady growers. I'm hoping my afra will reach flowering age in the next couple years.

As for Fernandoea, it may be another species that, given some time to develop wood,  may be able to withstand an average winter ( temps.) in North. Cal.  I'd be more concerned with how any cool/ wet soil conditions might effect it ( might be sensitive like Delonix or Colvillea)

If you haven't yet considered/ researched them, both Guaiacum coulteri (from Sonora, choice ornamental here,) and Guaiacum sanctum( from S. Florida, the Caribbean) might be good trial worthy trees to try there. G. coulteri is easy, takes heat.. decent cold. (Older specimens  i have kept an eye on around town  have withstood at least mid 20s here)

G. sanctum has surprised me with how tolerant, thus far, it is to much drier and hotter conditions well outside a favorable subtropical climate. My largest specimen sits where it gets a taste of afternoon sun. Didn't burn during our heat wave  back in June. Even seedlings I have have handled the heat, and down to roughly 35-32f without issue under a non heated patio during last winter. Trees I collected seed from back in St Pete ( FL.) Have seen at least 30, possibly colder ( not sure if they'd been installed before/ after the 2009-10/ 11 winters there).  Also have G. officianale that has had no issues thus far. It's supposed to be the most tropical of the Guaiacum species. Or so I had been told.  Seems alot tougher. The one thing they really like, esp. this time of year, water. I get decent bursts of growth on all 3 sp. Watering 2x weekly atm.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Both species of Schotia should do fine up your way once they have acouple years of growing behind them.  Have had an S. afra specimen, started in San Jose, for several years in a pot. Has taken everything from 29 to 120f with reletive ease though the high 110s did leave some burnt foliage in its wake this summer . Will say that both are somewhat slow but steady growers. I'm hoping my afra will reach flowering age in the next couple years.

As for Fernandoea, it may be another species that, given some time to develop wood,  may be able to withstand an average winter ( temps.) in North. Cal.  I'd be more concerned with how any cool/ wet soil conditions might effect it ( might be sensitive like Delonix or Colvillea)

If you haven't yet considered/ researched them, both Guaiacum coulteri (from Sonora, choice ornamental here,) and Guaiacum sanctum( from S. Florida, the Caribbean) might be good trial worthy trees to try there. G. coulteri is easy, takes heat.. decent cold. (Older specimens  i have kept an eye on around town  have withstood at least mid 20s here)

G. sanctum has surprised me with how tolerant, thus far, it is to much drier and hotter conditions well outside a favorable subtropical climate. My largest specimen sits where it gets a taste of afternoon sun. Didn't burn during our heat wave  back in June. Even seedlings I have have handled the heat, and down to roughly 35-32f without issue under a non heated patio during last winter. Trees I collected seed from back in St Pete ( FL.) Have seen at least 30, possibly colder ( not sure if they'd been installed before/ after the 2009-10/ 11 winters there).  Also have G. officianale that has had no issues thus far. It's supposed to be the most tropical of the Guaiacum species. Or so I had been told.  Seems alot tougher. The one thing they really like, esp. this time of year, water. I get decent bursts of growth on all 3 sp. Watering 2x weekly atm.

Good suggestions!

@Hillizard did you get the dais from Annies?

4 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Both species of Schotia should do fine up your way once they have a couple years of growing behind them.  Have had an S. afra specimen, started in San Jose, for several years in a pot. Has taken everything from 29 to 120f with reletive ease though the high 110s did leave some burnt foliage in its wake this summer . Will say that both are somewhat slow but steady growers. I'm hoping my afra will reach flowering age in the next couple years.

Silas_Sancona: So glad to know about your experiences with Schotia spp. Someday I hope to see insects and hummingbirds guzzling their copious flower nectar!

And that's a great tree genus suggestion (Guaiacum spp.). Thanks! I'll look into those species. Where I live there can never be enough shade in the summer!

I am able to maintain Delonix regia and D. decaryi by overwintering them indoors. I lost my Colvillea when I delayed too long bringing it inside last winter. You're so right about the problems these sub/tropicals have with cold, wet soil conditions. And a correction on my spelling in the early post, it's supposed to be Dais cotinifolia.

1 minute ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Good suggestions!

@Hillizard did you get the dais from Annies?

JDiaz: You are exactly correct -- I got the Dais from Annies: https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/view/?id=2862 The two little plants 'sulked' for two years but this year they're growing like weeds for some reason and have gained more than two feet in height, though they're spindly. Same pots as before, no added fertilizer, but they seem to really like their semi-shaded conditions against the house. They wilt each day in the heat and then recover each evening. :huh: 

11 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

JDiaz: You are exactly correct -- I got the Dais from Annies: https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/view/?id=2862 The two little plants 'sulked' for two years but this year they're growing like weeds for some reason and have gained more than two feet in height, though they're spindly. Same pots as before, no added fertilizer, but they seem to really like their semi-shaded conditions against the house. They wilt each day in the heat and then recover each evening. :huh: 

One more note: a new tree I have that may provide the type of shade I'm after is Cordia boissieri. I got a small one last year from http://www.zone9tropicals.com/cordia-boissieri-texas-olive-p-1073.html. I planted it out and it's done amazingly well. Even though it's small it has bloomed multiple times.  Beautiful flowers. Not sure if the leaf or fruit drop will eventually be a problem, but so far it looks very promising and ignores the heat and sun!