IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Virginia Beach Sabal Palmettos and Why They Look Bad

PalmTreeDude

If you look at Virginia Beach when it comes to Sabal palmettos and you think "those things are going to die." The problem with those palms is not the fact that it is too cold for them but it is the fact that they are not planted well or established. I seen how they plant them and they simply slap it in a hole and fill it with dirt and walk away. They are not planted well. Then they wrap them with a plastic material at the top. Many die. I bet they would do better if they were planted as smaller trees and given years to grow and properly establish. I have looked around neighborhoods about 0.5 miles inland from the ocean and the Sabal palmettos are MASSIVE and thriving.    Many people say they buy them locally grown (unlike the ones by the beach and board walk) so they don't get shocked from the colder winters from being used to Florida weather. I have seen 50ft Sabal palmettos with full foltalige in people's yards. These palms are more cold Hardy then you think and once they are established they take off. I have seen huge unprotected ones in zone 7b Virginia before too. If anyone has pictures of some Sabal palmettos in Virginia Beach please post them! Thanks for reading.

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Spelling Error

PalmTreeDude

I never realized they'd grow in VA. I just checked Wikipedia and apparently they've been grown in southern Delaware even. :bemused:

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

It's the same in north Florida. Transplanted Sabals don't look as good.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

I would imagine it would be best to use more northerly Sabal natives and to use regenerated head palms in these plantings. The regenerated heads are really growing in popularity with the nursery/contractor growing the head back out in the palm therefore establishment is shortened and survival is close to assured. Without daily watering the hurricane cut palms will establish slowly if they live at all. 

• Upvote 1

I think those cold winter winds from the ocean make the ones along the beach suffer. I saw many dead Butias and Palmettos up there when I passed through. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.