IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Planten un Blomen 1972/73

Pal Meir

Once upon a time I saw my small collection of palms and thought it would be nice if I could see how the palms would look like when they get big and so I decided to visit the botanical garden »Planten un Blomen« in my city.

Part of my small collection in 1972:

72N11-0401.thumb.jpg.6a528299c73f2ceb9d8

• Upvote 4

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Whoa! Spectacular!

How did they get the Lodoicea to grow in that little bucket?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yeah, that is what botanic gardens here in Holland looked like in those days too! In my days as a student of law, my wife and I visited a lot of those gardens in Holland, like Haren/Groningen, Nijmegen (my university-town), Wageningen (agri-university), Amsterdam (VU and GU), Utrecht/Baarn and -of course- Leiden. And, when the staff working there, got to know you better, you might return home with plants you never came across in gardencentre's at the time. That's how my collection took off.

Regards,

Wim.

• Upvote 1

At that time it was hard to get any “exotic” palm seeds. So my older palms were only such species as Phoenix dactylifera (13 years old) or Chamaerops humilis (10 years old), otherwise babies like the seedlings below of Butia odorata (»Cocos australis«), Chamaerops humilis, Trachycarpus fortunei, and Washingtonia (»robusta«, but later looking more like filifera). Another choice was a coconut from supermarket.

72D01-0219.thumb.jpg.f1a3e22e3ddf2105f70

72D01-0218.thumb.jpg.7229994dd413d60631c

72D01-0203-7.thumb.jpg.fd7fba92d20bcab63

72D01-0202.thumb.jpg.60d398cb55aec861787

• Upvote 3

But where did they get that Double Coconut? :hmm:

That's a gigantic rare prize even today! :yay::yay:

And is it growing in that little pot as it appears to be? :hmm:

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

6 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

But where did they get that Double Coconut? :hmm:

That's a gigantic rare prize even today! :yay::yay:

And is it growing in that little pot as it appears to be? :hmm:

The Lodoicea seedling was really growing in that small pot :greenthumb:, but how long, I don’t know.:indifferent: The fate of the seedling became obscure (at least to me) since the International Garden Fair IGA 1973 hold in Hamburg that time … :bemused:

18 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Whoa! Spectacular!

How did they get the Lodoicea to grow in that little bucket?

Whoa, Spectacular! Yes, yes, how do they get that? Is that real?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

25 minutes ago, doranakandawatta said:

Whoa, Spectacular! Yes, yes, how do they get that? Is that real?

Yes, it was actually growing. – I have found another photo of a potted Lodoicea maldivica, not taken in Hamburg, but at Botanical Gardens Kew in London:

86N09-0107.thumb.jpg.e429f50de7e000ed008

OMG,

All these potted Lodoicea, they would be so happy to come with me to Sri Lanka. :)

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

OH MY GOD!

BECKY LOOK AT :o:yay:

(never mind . . . .)

4 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

At that time it was hard to get any “exotic” palm seeds. So my older palms were only such species as Phoenix dactylifera (13 years old) or Chamaerops humilis (10 years old), otherwise babies like the seedlings below of Butia odorata (»Cocos australis«), Chamaerops humilis, Trachycarpus fortunei, and Washingtonia (»robusta«, but later looking more like filifera). Another choice was a coconut from supermarket.

72D01-0219.thumb.jpg.f1a3e22e3ddf2105f70

72D01-0218.thumb.jpg.7229994dd413d60631c

Those two palms on the photos above didn’t live so long: The date palm died being only 20 years old in 1979 when I was overseas and the mediterranean fan palm died with 30 years when I was at another university; below the last photos of those two: :violin:

5728fd2627184_Phoenixdactylifera1977-04-

5728fd2dd01b5_Chamaeropshumilis1989-09-0

Have any survived to present day?

Cheers, Barrie.

14 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Have any survived to present day?

Cheers, Barrie.

The only palms which survived from the early 1970s to today are two Chamaedorea elegans, below a photo taken in 2015. Most of the other seedlings on the photos died during a world trip from 1977 to 1980.

57290994d95c1_Chamaedoreaelegans2015-06-

• Upvote 1