IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Kentiopsis is Now Trunking

Cocoa Beach Jason

I cheated and put 2 K.O. in the ground about 2 years ago from a 7 gallon. But they have grown steady and are just now trunking. I have 2 of these at the exact same size. At planting, I amended one very heavily with organic material. The other, I put right into my beachside sand with no amendment just to see if there would be any growth difference. There is literally no difference in growth between the two at two years. They grow at exactly the same speed. Both look healthy. So if you are in coastal central florida and looking to plant K.O., consider saving your money at planting. Because at least in my small sample of anecdotal evidence, amendment is not needed. They get supplemental reclaimed irrigation and regular feedings of slow release Harrels. These palms like my area and do fantastic here. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Cocoa Beach Jason
  • Upvote 6

Very nice!

The one I moved last year has three rings . . . . still waiting for it to grow.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Looks great, thanks for sharing! It looks like you have it planted in full sun? Mine only gets a little but it sure doesn't seem to like it. :/

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

7 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Looks great, thanks for sharing! It looks like you have it planted in full sun? Mine only gets a little but it sure doesn't seem to like it. :/

I put them immediately in 100% full hot Florida sun. These trees have not seen a second of shade (except cloud cover) ever since I have had them. They have never stressed ever for any reason. No sunburn. No nutrient deficiencies. They never look thirsty. Real winners in my local climate and growing conditions. 

Edited by Cocoa Beach Jason

Thanks Jason, I might have to put mine out in full sun (still potted) and just see what happens. 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

6 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Thanks Jason, I might have to put mine out in full sun (still potted) and just see what happens. 

Perhaps I owe some thanks to the original grower for getting them pretty acclimated in advance? 

Nice specimen Jason.

Agree that K.O. can take full sun there in FL. My 7gal did fine in all day sun in Bradenton, only suffering some sunburn when i went a couple days too long between watering. That or i accidentally hit some leaflets when spraying Neem oil on some near by stuff one night before we hit 97F last Summer.

Jason, that is a beefcake! It's on its way to be a big scary monster :-) nicely done

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

It's looking good Jason !        I've had mine in ground for 18 months now and it's coming along nicely.  For a bit of contrast, I planted it amongst three Foxtails.

orrztk.jpg

auczz8.jpg

Edited by steve99
grammer
  • Upvote 3

Every time I see a big Florida KO, I wish we could get them out here with some size...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I have a couple I will be planting in the Vista garden this next couple weeks. This thread has given me some motivation to get going on getting them in the ground. Mine are 15 gallons roughly 7 feet tall and I've had them for about five years now

Sunset zone 24

3 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

I have a couple I will be planting in the Vista garden this next couple weeks. This thread has given me some motivation to get going on getting them in the ground. Mine are 15 gallons roughly 7 feet tall and I've had them for about five years now

You need to ship in some Ken Johnson monsters, Josh.

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Soooo much faster in Florida than California. 

And no sporting there either.,..

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

31 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

You need to ship in some Ken Johnson monsters, Josh.

The good news is once they get established and get to about 6 to 7 feet tall then they decide to blow up. It's just that waiting game before that size.

Sunset zone 24

2 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

The good news is once they get established and get to about 6 to 7 feet tall then they decide to blow up. It's just that waiting game before that size.

Let's see some pics of what you got, Josh!  That might be worth another drive...:D

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

6 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Let's see some pics of what you got, Josh!  That might be worth another drive...:D

They are all going in the ground for a group planting :)  I have been toying with the idea of actually creating a grove of these

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

50 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

They are all going in the ground for a group planting :)  I have been toying with the idea of actually creating a grove of these

So selfish! Share!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

4 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

So selfish! Share!

It will probably be a couple weeks before I do anymore planting. I am so burned out working at the nursery/garden this last few weeks. I'll post pictures when I do

Sunset zone 24

I'm jealous! Mine has been doing really good but I'm in California and it's sloowwww. Really love how these look when they start trunking.

My little Kentiopsis oliviformis is in partial shade (one tall Archontophoenix cunninghamiana is unhealthy and needs to be removed).   It's growing slowly, but now has a new leaf, which should accelrate production of the next leaf, and so on.  5726db2128996_Kentiopsisoliviformisflash

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Here's a photo of one of mine. It's hard to get the entire Palm in a picture as this area is a bit crowded. Just started trunking and I'd guess that it is 13 feet tall. One of my favorites. 

image.thumb.jpeg.616223754cf75892afb149b

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Fallbrook Jason said:

Here's a photo of one of mine. It's hard to get the entire Palm in a picture as this area is a bit crowded. Just started trunking and I'd guess that it is 13 feet tall. One of my favorites. 

My largest is just behind yours, will show some rings by the end of summer based on past performance.  Mine has grown in full sun, and eventually be part of my canopy.  Still a ways to go though before that happens.

20160502-104A1472.jpg

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I love these palms and it's great to see them get some size. In my experience they love the heat if they have canopy. I have two and just planted one under a queen and some bananas. It was in a five gallon pot and needed it so figured I'd join in the fun. It has burn because I left it in full sun but it should grow out of it.

rps20160503_063925.jpg

16 hours ago, Tracy said:

My largest is just behind yours, will show some rings by the end of summer based on past performance.  Mine has grown in full sun, and eventually be part of my canopy.  Still a ways to go though before that happens.

20160502-104A1472.jpg

Looking great Tracy!  I just can't say enough good things about these palms. Here are 2 more of mine that are also at the same stage as yours and will show their first rings real soon. 6' tall fences behind each give some scale. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1c7343975cf1f905d75f27a

image.thumb.jpeg.81c0f60230a60fe016c6064

• Upvote 2