IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Recommendations for s facing Palm one mile from coast north San diego

Carlsbadpalmaddict

I have a 3 foot by 3 foot planter that faces south and gets full sun 1 mile from the coast in north Carlsbad at an elevation of 140 ft.  It's near the kids play area so I'd like at least a 15 gal so it doesn't get wrecked.  Any recommendations?  This planter is right next to our patio and The right palm would really be the show pony of the yard.  Thanks for your consideration. 

Hedescepy, Kentia, Rhopalostylis, 

• Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Satakentia liukiuensis would be my choice.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Hedescepy, Kentia, Rhopalostylis are really solid choices.

I would add C. Macrocarpa, C. Hookerii, Howea belmoreana, bentinkia condapana and burretiokentia species.

if you need to buy any I have all the above available for sale

:) 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Kentiopsis. Oooh, baby!

This is south facing? Wouldn't some of these species burn, particularly if there's reflective heat nearby?

Hedescepy, Kentia, Rhopalostylis,  would all be great choices but why not try Dypsis ambositre

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Kentiopsis oliviformis will do well in that spot, but full sun south facing I have had burning on the Chambeyronia's, so I would give them a little more protection from the late afternoon sun.  I like the fact that the K oliviformis will hold its leaves a little more upright when smaller, so will be a little more contained in your area until its trunking.  Dypsis ambositrae would be a good fit as well.  The D decaryi x leptocheilos will be a relatively fast grower here and is striking in appearance as well.  Final suggestion would be one of the clumping Dypsis.... I have D pembana in full south sun against a wall doing well, and its probably my fastest growing clumping Dypsis. 

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have considered the tri bear because it would do awesome there and is one of my fav palms but I already have two smaller ones in the yard.  Anyone know of a place to get a large kentiopsis.  That Palm would be amazing there too just don't want to see some little 5 gal Palm get wrecked by the kids.  Thx

I would recommend Howea forsteriana or Bismarckia nobilis.  They are both affordable at large sizes, can both take sun near the coast, and are easy to locate in BIG sizes.  The other suggestions are good too, but if you could only plant one palm, I personally would choose one of these.  Hedescepe MAY take full sun at the coast, but will be quite expensive, and will grow painfully slow.   Chambeyronia is an excellent option too, and you can find large plants for relatively cheap on CL.

Foxtail or roystonea regia  will work too

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

3 hours ago, Sabal Steve said:

I would recommend Howea forsteriana or Bismarckia nobilis

Wouldn't you be a little worried about a 15 gallon Bismarckia outgrowing a 3x3 planting area very quickly?  The H forsteriana would fit the space better in particular next to a patio (softer leaflets as opposed to the very rigid tips of the Bizzy leaf tips). An H belmoreana would have a little more "uniqueness", if you want to do a Howea, as H forsteriana are pretty common plantings in the coastal zone.  Bottom line, I love my Bismarckia, but you need to have a decent amount of head space for them once they take off.  If you have the space, go for it!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

Wouldn't you be a little worried about a 15 gallon Bismarckia outgrowing a 3x3 planting area very quickly?  The H forsteriana would fit the space better in particular next to a patio (softer leaflets as opposed to the very rigid tips of the Bizzy leaf tips). An H belmoreana would have a little more "uniqueness", if you want to do a Howea, as H forsteriana are pretty common plantings in the coastal zone.  Bottom line, I love my Bismarckia, but you need to have a decent amount of head space for them once they take off.  If you have the space, go for it!

Oh my, yes.  I guess I missed that part!

Hyophorbe verschaffeltii -- relatively compact, likes full sun, distinctive habit and colorful petioles.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Nobody else has love for Satakentia's? Lol

Chambeyronias are great palms too so I can get behind that suggestion.

2 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Nobody else has love for Satakentia's? Lol

Chambeyronias are great palms too so I can get behind that suggestion.

Love Satakentias. But it's just too heat loving for most of us. Except Matty B.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

4 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Love Satakentias. But it's just too heat loving for most of us. Except Matty B.

Ahh, gotcha. I figured they'd do okay in Carlsbad, but there are plenty of people more knowledgeable than me about what will grow where in California.

How about an Archontophoenix alexandrae or a Hyophorbe lagenicaulis?  I have an Archontophoenix alexandrae in front of the kitchen window that my wife loves.  If the planter would permit it, a double or triple Archontophoenix would really look great.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

How about an Archontophoenix alexandrae or a Hyophorbe lagenicaulis?  I have an Archontophoenix alexandrae in front of the kitchen window that my wife loves.  If the planter would permit it, a double or triple Archontophoenix would really look great.

I love archie's too, really great looking palms... However, unlike in Texas and Florida, archie's are all over the place in California. It wouldn't really make for a good "show pony" like the OP is looking for.

Just now, RedRabbit said:

I love archie's too, really great looking palms... However, unlike in Texas and Florida, archie's are all over the place in California. It wouldn't really make for a good "show pony" like the OP is looking for.

I guess you are right.  If the planting area was bigger, of course I would recommend a coconut palm to take the place of the RIP Newport Beach coconut palm!

1 minute ago, RedRabbit said:

Speaking of Archontophoenix here in Texas, I am amazed they aren't used more here in Corpus Christi and in the Rio Grande Valley.  They do so well here and are fantastic looking palms that don't require a whole lot of space.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Speaking of Archontophoenix here in Texas, I am amazed they aren't used more here in Corpus Christi and in the Rio Grande Valley.  They do so well here and are fantastic looking palms that don't require a whole lot of space.

Yep, same story here. I have 7 myself, but I only know of a few others in Tampa. It is a shame there aren't more, but I blame it on availability. I've heard they sell them at HD and Lowes in Californina, but they're relatively difficult to locate here.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  This is proving difficult as I have over 60 different kinds of palms in the yard.  Do I duplicate with something I already have or shoot for something different.  The quest continues.  

12 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Yep, same story here. I have 7 myself, but I only know of a few others in Tampa. It is a shame there aren't more, but I blame it on availability. I've heard they sell them at HD and Lowes in Californina, but they're relatively difficult to locate here.

Come to think of it, the one I have planted outside our kitchen window is from a guy on ebay in California.  The only source of them that I know of currently in Texas is a guy in Harlingen I know who has a nice backyard palm nursery.  He has at least 3 different varieties of Archontophoenix and he is the only guy I know of in Texas who grows Florida royals.  There used to be a nursery on the south side of Houston around Webster called Houston Palm Tree that I think had a few King palms  years ago, but I don't know if they still do.  The Paurotis is another palm that I would like to see planted a lot more around here, but no local nursery is carrying them, though a few have large specimens available down in the Valley.

I would love any sun loving dypsis that I could get with some trunk to it.

For 3x3 planter planting something that gets big isn't such a good idea. How about a nice Dypsis lanceolata? It would look pretty nice and doesn't get that large. You get nice trunks fairly fast without waiting a decade.

Dypsis-lanceolata-in-cultivation.jpg

Or Dypsis baronii that is a bit more colorful when young. Use a shade cloth when they're young, but they should handle the climate close to the coast without issues for you.

19 minutes ago, Carlsbadpalmaddict said:

I would love any sun loving dypsis that I could get with some trunk to it.

You are one mile from the ocean in Carlsbad, you don't have the issues with sun as many have out further inland. I'm 6 miles from the coast and right on the edge of the fog layer. The only thing you might have to worry about is winter cold - if you're in the canyon and get frost you may have to watch what you plant. On top of the hill and you are much better off.

Already lots of good suggestions here, but Hedyscepe is a great palm - and for those of you who've already suggested it here - if you can grow it, maybe learn how to spell it as well...:mrlooney:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Clinostigma savoryanum might survive.  Fronds are quite long, do you have room? Once above the house, no problem, but until then?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Planter is away from the house.  Plant would have no canopy protection.  The nicest ones I've seen have some canopy.

I want to throw in my vote for Kentiopsis Oliviformis. Such a great and tropical looking palm for So Cal.