IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germinating Carpoxylon macrospermum

RadPalms

I started germinating some Carpoxylon macrospermum seeds in pots with regular fast draining soil...I had placed them in a old refrigerator with a 40 watt bulb to keep them warm.....I sent off for a large grow mat which arrived a few days ago.  So I transferred the seeds into a new mix of peat and perlite and placed them in sealable containers....The grow mat came with a rack which sits about 1 inch off the mat and I placed the containers on top.  It doesn't seem that the containers are getting the warmth from that height.  Should I place them right on the mat or leave them on the rack?  They were in the refrigerator for a month and when I transferred them there wasn't any sign of germination...Thanks for any advice

Curt

Cypress, Ca.

Put a thermometer in one of the containers and see what actual temp you have in there. 32C is the most acceptable upper limit, 28C the lower. I would say that the heat mat won't be that effective a heater with the containers suspended one inch from it. If the temps are too low, put them right onto the mat, but use the thermometer to check the temp making sure you don't cook your seeds. They're much too expensive to cook up.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I would recommend cranking up the heat - they will love 95-100F (appox 37-40C). I germinated a few thousand this way and was very successful.

-CF

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Thanks Tyrone and CF for the input.  I bought a probe today and checked the temp,  it was at 20.3C so I have placed them right on the mat and will check on them during the day to make sure they don't go over the safe limit.

Curt

Cypress, Ca.

Checked the temp though out the day and it held at 34C until it got dark and went down to 30.7C at 8:00 pm.....I have them out in the garage......Will this work..

Thanks Curt

Cypress, Ca.

(RadPalms @ Apr. 16 2007,23:23)

Checked the temp though out the day and it held at 34C until it got dark and went down to 30.7C at 8:00 pm.....I have them out in the garage......Will this work..

Thanks Curt

Sounds good to me. The temp fluctuation I find is a good thing. It allows condensation to form at the cooler end of the scale and this moves moisture through the medium eliminating constant dry hotspots and soggy cool spots. Every part of the medium gets a turn if you know what I mean.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two batches of Carpoxylon macrospermum seeds that I have been tring to germinate now for 2 months. I have them placed in air tight containers with as much moisture squeezed out of the soil so it's not wet. I have had 0 germinate so far so I took one of the seeds today and peeled off the fiber around the seed then cracked the nut opened and peeled the shell away. When I broke opened the meat it looked like a inside of a coconut with the white meat....It was hollow inside,,,,does that mean it was not a viable seed???

Curt

Cypress, Ca.

Curt,

I just bumped my "Germination" thread which I started off with info on Carpoxylon macrospermum.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm