IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia hospita

MattyB

I'm getting super stoked on this palm. Here's a really nice one I saw today at Leu Gardens in Orlando, Fl.  Can you guys share some pics?  I'd love to see them  

image.jpeg

• Upvote 7

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Um, I think my only photo of the species is the same Leu specimen.  Today was genuinely hot.  

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Cool pic Matty

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Mine won't fit in the picture frame :mrlooney:

Sunset zone 24

Nice visuals...

But i feel that those growing in "Nong Nooch Tropical Garden" Thailand do have better colour.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here's one from Nong Nooch

DSC_9892.thumb.jpg.1e4b8be81f2de86b7d3b8

• Upvote 9

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Mine is so small imagination is required to think it could ever look like these. Good thing I have plenty of spare imagination!

Yes, the ones at Nong Nooch made me have to try this one. The cattle thought the fronds were quite tasty, but it survived.

I have never seen Leu gardens in many visits to the state. Hmmm... Thanks for the photos!

Cindy Adair

This is mine in my highland garden, 2m overall height 

IMG_1339.thumb.jpg.79fd09019f5a16c6a750a

A group of three in my beach garden

IMG_0343.thumb.JPG.e51fac665eb9d43ff4b3e

• Upvote 8

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Beautiful palm, but don't know of anyone that has had success with it here in SoCal.  Those specimens from Nong Nooch are near the top of the list for the best blue/white palms anywhere.  They put most Bizmarckia to shame.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Mine is so small imagination is required to think it could ever look like these. Good thing I have plenty of spare imagination!

Yes, the ones at Nong Nooch made me have to try this one. The cattle thought the fronds were quite tasty, but it survived.

I have never seen Leu gardens in many visits to the state. Hmmm... Thanks for the photos!

Here is my very tiny but tough tree. Believe it or not, in the ground since 4/13as a seedling. However previously obscured by vines between visits, chewed by cattle at least twice and partially shaded by a breadfruit tree branch. One tough tree! Hope it will look like the photos in this thread eventually if the cattle can stay in their pasture.

DSCN0222.JPG

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Here is my small hospita, it's the one at the corner of the bed.

20160416_171238.jpg

• Upvote 2

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Mine won't fit in the camera picture frame so I wont even bother. :mrlooney:

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

I was inspired by the visual impact of the display on the side of a pathway at Nong Nooch, so I planted these along my driveway (farther enough back to not interfere with power lines 20 years fro now) in Oct 2012.

572122cf06233_Coperniciahospita_driveway

When they were planted, the leaves barely rose above the level of the blocks, so these are one of the faster growing Copernicias. Heres a closeup of the second from the left:

572122d35d647_Coperniciahospita_MLM_0427

• Upvote 8

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

• 3 weeks later...

this thread is getting better and better 

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

• 2 months later...
On April 25, 2016 at 5:25:59 PM, scottgt said:

This is mine in my highland garden, 2m overall height 

IMG_1339.thumb.jpg.79fd09019f5a16c6a750a

A group of three in my beach garden

IMG_0343.thumb.JPG.e51fac665eb9d43ff4b3e

These three have really grown since this photo was taken. I can now see that they were planted too closely. I will post updated photos this weekend.

These really do speed up with time.

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Scott, can I see some close ups of the trio--maybe they are not hospita... speeding up is not really a hospita kinda thing and they have a textilis look to them...

2 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Scott, can I see some close ups of the trio--maybe they are not hospita... speeding up is not really a hospita kinda thing and they have a textilis look to them...

In my beach garden I do notice a massive growth spurt when palms hit the ground water ,which is just 12 feet down. My C.hospita in my highland garden is from the same seed batch and has not had this growth spurt. It is slow and steady. 

2 hours ago, scottgt said:

In my beach garden I do notice a massive growth spurt when palms hit the ground water ,which is just 12 feet down. My C.hospita in my highland garden is from the same seed batch and has not had this growth spurt. It is slow and steady. 

Right, but they are different looking as well--the highland palm has nice color. you could get hybrids from the same seed batch.

Beautiful specimen Matty!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

C.hospita update from the beach.

Two years ago

IMG_0343.thumb.JPG.9884a4eac4a6e3549fb9e

Now

IMG_1697.thumb.JPG.a603706e62337f7015370

• Upvote 3

On 4/24/2016, 4:28:54, Daryl said:

Here's one from Nong Nooch

DSC_9892.thumb.jpg.1e4b8be81f2de86b7d3b8

This pic melted my heart, absolutely stunning!  One of my top palms for sure.  What is the cold tolerance of these things? if one has grown to that size at Leu Gardens perhaps they can take temps a bit below freezing?

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.