IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pal Meir

wow, quite slow but the important thing is they're healthy. hope they speed up with age.

08053.gif

• 2 weeks later...

»Conservation:—Much of the area has been converted into pasture. The area is unprotected and owned by cattle ranchers, who annually torch their pastures, burning deeper into the adjacent forest with each burn cycle, threatening the forest where this palm grows. The only known population is extremely threatened with only a few plants left in the wild. Most of the known plants were removed to save them from the expanding pastures. This species grows well as a potted plant and continues to flower and fruit more vigorously in a pot than it does in the wild. Therefore, ex situ conservation is a potential conservation strategy, and recent successes in germinating the seed have sparked new hope for the species (C. A. Guimaraes, pers. comm.). Nevertheless from our current knowledge, it is classified as Critically Endangered, CR B2ab(i, ii, iii, iv, v); C2a(i, ii); D.« (Noblick, Larry R. 2017: A revision of the genus Syagrus (Arecaceae), p.122)

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Yes, it seems the species now depends on lunatics like us for it's survival. Loony or not, I'm confident we can grow our little seedlings into happily flowering and seeding plants. Maybe we need to set up a future pollen exchange program in order to make sure we don't inbreed them too much...

• Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Kai said:

It's looking very good! I'm surprised that they stay strap leafed longer than weddellianum.

When you look at this older photo taken by @caixeta in 2011 (as “L insigne”) you can see that L itapebiense will grow a couple of strap leaves before it goes pinnate:

5901e130602b7_Lytocaryum2011Caixeta5900.

• 3 weeks later...

And today again the newest issue of the Itapebi Monthly: What has happened in the Itapebi world in May 2017? :huh: The palms N°1601, 03 and 02 are pushing their 4th leaf since 9, 10 and 21 May resp. and N°1608 finally showed its 2nd leaf on 27 May! :D

592e6e1491282_N1601-04082017-05-31P10306

592e6e1b65fe2_N1601-04082017-05-31P10306

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my contribution...

My little seedling is having a hard time keeping up with the others but every little sign of growth is greatly appreciated.

tmp_14403-20170613_004054715637990.thumb

The 2nd leaf is out. It is what I call a "recovery leaf". With a magnifying glass I believe I have spotted the tip of leaf #3.

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

This is the sad story of a shipment by DHL (Deutsche Post) for a distance of 160 km by car for a parcel weighing 0.8 kg and a postage of 18 Euro: Even after FIVE days the parcel is not delivered. :rant: Should it get delivered on Monday tomorrow (???) :unsure: it would have taken 6 days = 144 hours for 160 km / 100 miles, unbelievable ……… And I am very anxious if the small seedling N°1608 will still be alive ……… :(

595010c8bf28a_CY626540503DE2017-06-25um1

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

This is the sad story of a shipment by DHL (Deutsche Post) for a distance of 160 km by car for a parcel weighing 0.8 kg and a postage of 18 Euro: Even after FIVE days the parcel is not delivered. :rant: Should it get delivered on Monday tomorrow (???) :unsure: it would have taken 6 days = 144 hours for 160 km / 100 miles, unbelievable ……… And I am very anxious if the small seedling N°1608 will still be alive ……… :(

595010c8bf28a_CY626540503DE2017-06-25um1

With your packing skills and current outside temperatures, I think the seedling will be fine. I've had barerooted plants underway for over 2 weeks and still survive.

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...