IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pal Meir

cootchie cootchie cootchie

(NOT Charo . . . )

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

There you go Pal, for your book. :D

Lyto.jpg

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I got the seed bit right, glad to be able to help. :D

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

»The only known population is extremely threatened with only about 20–25 plants left in the wild. From our current knowledge, we would rank this plant as Critically Endangered. This species grows well as a potted plant and continues to flower and fruit more vigorously in a pot than it does in the wild. Therefore ex situ conservation is a potential conservation strategy, and recent successes in germinating the seed have sparked new hope for the species.« (Noblick & Lorenzi 2010) – I hope my seedlings will be a small contribution to the survival of this endangered species:

573223c01f012_N16012016-05-10IMG_8590.th

• Upvote 3

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Three days ago I received the sad news that »there are no more plants in the habitat«. :bemused:

The good news is that the first seedling shows its cotyledon (1st plumule) so that I decided to plant it already in a pot. :greenthumb: The soil mix I am using is the same as for L. weddellianum.

5735be2508b84_N16012016-05-13IMG_8602.th

5735be2a28c7f_N16012016-05-13IMG_8608.th

5735be3090c65_N16012016-05-13IMG_8607.th

As I was asked about my germination method I thought it would be best to post my handling of the seeds here too for all in Lytocaryum interested fans. — At first: my »method« is nothing special. In case of such valuable seeds as of this most endangered species I control them daily:

(1) At arrival I cleaned them under warm water. (2) I soaked them one day in warm water (ca. 30-35°C). (3) I put them in a box with moist Kokohum® (coco peat). (4) I stored the box over a central heating, isolating it with foam rubber, keeping the temperature about 25±3°C. (5) I controlled the seeds daily, soaked/cleaned them shortly in warm water (against mould) and controlled also the moisture of the coco peat. – That’s all I was doing. :interesting:

Here the box filled with moist Kokohum®:

57361a63961a6_N16002016-05-08P1010526.th

The box was put on top of a central heating (as I did also with Lytocaryum insigne in 2014):

57361b7bdbc66_SyagrusinsignisN1400IMG_75

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Very nice! :greenthumb: Is it already the tip of the eophyll?

My seedlings still hide their first plumule under the seed:

5738781a38283_N16022016-05-15IMG_8611.th

Yes Pal, growing lovely now:greenthumb:

Edited by Bananengeknl

As N°4 is showing the tip of the cotyledon (pic #1) I decided to plant the babies N°3 and N°4 also in pots (pic #2) where N°1 and N°2 are still thriving. And the (at first heavily pinned) cotyledon of N°1 seems to be happy and growing at an enormous speed (pic #3). :greenthumb::D

57405049eca63_N16042016-05-20IMG_8649.th

574050549762c_N1601-042016-05-21P1010576

57405058ed63f_N16012016-05-21P1010575.th

As long as nobody else posts his comments :interesting: I’ll continue my monologue. Today also the 5th baby is showing its cotyledon so that I put it into a pot, too. The other four seeds are still sleeping :asleep:, or …… :unsure: …… :sick:?

5741e241e5c43_N16052016-05-22IMG_8659.th

5741e2489c805_N16052016-05-22IMG_8660.th

7 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Nobody else? :huh:

@Bananengeknl What soil mix are you using? And what is the size of your pot? It looks much deeper than mine (9cm). :interesting:

@Pal Meir Im using mixed soil from Mypalmshop. nice soil. with 0.7L tall palm pots. 7x7x18cm

Like this;

Deep%20square%20palmpot%20sleeve%200.7%2

Uau, really nice. Your seeds/seedlings look so clean (same situation for the other thread with Chamaedorea). I always get fungus if I cover the germination box. Do you use something against fungus?

9 minutes ago, cristi said:

Uau, really nice. Your seeds/seedlings look so clean (same situation for the other thread with Chamaedorea). I always get fungus if I cover the germination box. Do you use something against fungus?

No, I’m using nothing but water (and later, not yet very diluted fert). — When I have seeds which are smelling strange (as in case of my mouldy Ch. tuerckheimii :sick:) I wash them with water and use the paper towel method. And if the seeds are most valuable (as these ones, which didn’t have any strange smell at all) I wash them even daily. — Baby N°1602 is now put again back into its pot with 2/3 pine bark + 1/3 Seramis. I had to wake it today because of the photo appointment. :D

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

And … you may admire it: :mrlooney: the 2nd plumule of the 1st baby, :wub: only 34 days after germination! :greenthumb::D (The baby got a shower before so that it became clean for the photo appointment.) :lol:

5744702c0a2e7_N16012016-05-24IMG_8672.th

Thanks for this really interesting thread Pal! 

If I may ask, where did you get these Syagrus Itapebiensis seeds? I would love to contribute towards saving this species.

21 minutes ago, nitsua0895 said:

Thanks for this really interesting thread Pal! 

If I may ask, where did you get these Syagrus Itapebiensis seeds? I would love to contribute towards saving this species.

There are at present no seeds available, but you could try your luck in the forum »Palm Exchange« or so …… :indifferent: I myself tried for a very long time to get seeds, and even if you get some it is no guarantee at all that they will germinate. :bemused:

• Upvote 1

I got in the Fazenda São Miguel , Itacaré -Bahia, with my friend Carlos Alex Guimarães , brought by plane with the greatest care , I do not know precisely its age.

• Upvote 2

Caixeta