IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

One of my favorite orchids

Kevin S

8 hours ago, joe_OC said:

A69DE09E-66EF-4A04-9CDD-F02274877895.jpeg

This one is a Dendrobium I'm guessing?  Nice looking Laelia's as well!  My last Laelia to open this year is Laelia anceps veitchiana.  One of the buds was just starting to open when I got home this evening.  Hopefully with a little sun tomorrow it will open completely followed by all the other buds on it!  Orchids are wonderful additions to the garden, because you can almost always have some genus or species flowering throughout the year.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

8 minutes ago, Tracy said:

This one is a Dendrobium I'm guessing?  Nice looking Laelia's as well!  My last Laelia to open this year is Laelia anceps veitchiana.  One of the buds was just starting to open when I got home this evening.  Hopefully with a little sun tomorrow it will open completely followed by all the other buds on it!  Orchids are wonderful additions to the garden, because you can almost always have some genus or species flowering throughout the year.

Slc. Lucky Chance ‘My Van’

Orchids are a great addition to palm gardens.  Adds colors to palms when they get too tall.  I will be adding a lot of orchids once my garden is a bit more mature 

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Happy New Year to all.... this  Laelia anceps var. veitchiana opened up nicely here on New Year's Eve and has a few more spikes and blossoms which will open in 2019.  Seems a little late, but I'll have to look back when this normally opens.  Seems like it has greeted guests for Christmas in past years.

20181230-104A2048.jpg

20181230-104A2051.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Getting away from Laelia's for a moment, this is the first flower to open on an Epidendrum marmoratum I added to my orchid collection in 2018.  It's a delicate small flower, and this one is sideways.  Still very attractive!

20190102-104A2122.jpg

20190102-104A2124.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 5:02 PM, Tracy said:

this is the first flower to open on an Epidendrum marmoratum I added to my orchid collection in 2018.

An updated photo from later this month since several of the blossoms are now open on this Epidendrum marmoratum.  It is a beautiful little cluster of flowers!

20190124-104A2269-2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

This year  they flowered a little later than they normally do here’s some photos from early on this year.

0B65B920-04CA-46B5-B6C0-F6234B03977A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

This year  they flowered a little later than they normally do here’s some photos from early on this year.

4C0DE3A3-58E5-4E53-AF1D-D6036E21CC02.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

- duplicate post sorry , can a mod delete? -

Edited by Calosphace

Collector of native, ornithophilous, Stachytarpheta, iridescent, and blue or teal-flowering plants

On 4/15/2016 at 3:15 PM, epiphyte said:

I'm guessing that the flowers of these crosses are still too large for hummingbirds to pollinate.  But it would be great to have a perfect continuum of flower sizes for the hummingbirds to choose from.  That way... even if we don't have the time/energy to pollinate the flowers and/or sow the seeds.... there's still a chance that we might end up with some seedlings on our trees that are better adapted to our conditions.  

Silas_Sancona, not sure if you've already seen it... but the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson has a nice profile on Guarianthe aurantiaca.  If you're going to try Laelia anceps in Phoenix it would be neat if you competed/compared it with Guarianthe aurantiaca.  I'd be very interested to know who the winner would be.  

Very late response lol but this is probably true. In Southern CA typical hummers are Rufous, Allen's, and Anna's depending on time of year

Bill length (culmen) of my wintering hummingbird, a female Ruby throat, is 19-21 mm
Bill length of Rufous hummingbird is 15-19
Bill length of Anna's is 16-20
Bill length of Allen's varies by subspecies, the most widespread is sasin (nominate) which is shorter than Rufous which breeds in coastal Southern California up to coastal Oregon. The other, sedentarius, originally restricted to the Channel islands but now also found in coastal southern Los Angeles is larger than rufous.

Their tongues roughly extend twice that number but that is the limit of their reach. Iirc for Ruby throats close to the limit of the female is the Iochroma cyaneum flower but I dont have measurements on hand

I think largest hummer in US is the blue-throated in southern Arizona.  I think nearly 11 species occur there. growing orchids outdoors in AZ would be interesting to see if more hybridization could occur due to them

There are orchids that are more generalist in their pollination e.g. Phal / Sedirea japonica is pollinated by bumblebees in its native habitat so I believe my bumblebees should be able to pollinate it as well

One plant I am determined to get next year / as soon as I see one available is the Epicattelya 'Concern' it is a hybrid of native Greenfly orchid and the Brazil to Argentinian Cattleya cernua, a rare heat-tolerant hummingbird-pollinated orchid. I think this hybrid will definitely be hardy for me and I would like to start a population in my oak to see if hummers like it

Edited by Calosphace
  • Like 1

Collector of native, ornithophilous, Stachytarpheta, iridescent, and blue or teal-flowering plants

Calosphace, i'm very impressed with your detailed knowledge of hummingbirds.  let's be facebook friends.  my local friend michelle grows a bunch of brugmansias.  i asked her if she ever tried sanguinea and she said she had but it didn't make it.  from ebay i bought some sanguinea hybrid seeds and i ended up with a bunch of seedlings, most of which i gave to her.  so far she hasn't bloomed any but the 1 i planted for her neighbor blooms really nicely.  sadly its flowers are too long for any of the local hummingbirds to pollinate.  in its native habitat the brugmansia is pollinated by a hummingbird with an extra long beak, i think.  ideally we should also have hummingbirds with a continuum of beak sizes from brugmansia sanguinea to kalanchoe uniflora.  

i'm very curious how the introduction of honey bees to the americas has changed all the native orchids.  in theory, making the demand for flowers more diverse (ie adding a new pollinator) would make the supply of flowers more diverse.  

thanks to you i learned that there's a non-migratory subspecies of allen's hummingbird.  how is it possible that its range overlaps with the migratory variety?  they don't hybridize?  how could they not hybridize?  migrating is a trait, that's dominant?  

i appreciate your determination to get a hybrid of the native greenfly orchid and cattleya cernua.  you should definitely stand on the shoulders of @Zeeth in tampa.  he mounted a bunch of crosses of conopseum and tampensis on his trees.  when i visited him a couple months ago i gave him cernua.  ideally, he will facilitate a hybrid swarm that will reach your trees sooner rather than later.