IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Foxtail surprises me

Chris Chance

I planted this foxtail since I had it and figured well why not. My area is zone 9 that's for sure so probably not a good choice for me. This area hit 26 for several nights during the winter so damage is really expected and lack of canopy doesn't help. What do you guys think? Am I crazy? 

rps20160412_064042.jpg

• Upvote 5

Most palm growers are crazy :lol:. I'm assuming the Foxtails are a zone 10 palm? It doesn't look too bad considering the 26°F lows.

Cheers, Barrie.

• Upvote 6

True we are crazy but it's a good crazy haha. They are more zone 10. they do seem to like the heat but the cold winter is rough on them. 

• Upvote 3

Well it is about 5 feet from my house. I figure if i lose it then I got space for something else. Recently the garden is starting to come together nicely. This was a palm I had sitting in a pot for a long time and couldn't water it enough to be totally happy so I just stuck it in the ground. A spear is starting to emerge quickly so should look much different by the end of the summer.

Just to give an idea of what that area used to look like here's a picture when I moved in 9 months ago. One day I'll post a before and after but I wanted to get some more done and get some growth going. 

rps20160412_114522.jpg

• Upvote 4

I think if it survives it's because of the heat and sun it'll get. Even when you have cold nights, if the sun heats it during the day it might survive....

• Upvote 1

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

My foxtails always look worst in late winter/early spring, and best in late summer/early autumn. They always get spotted and ragged looking from the cold and winds, but love hot sun.  Moreno Valley might not be too bad... Worst case scenario is it dies and you've got a spot for a new palm ;)

Zone 9a or 9b? Low 20s will kill even large foxtails, but if 26 is the lowest you think you're going to see then you're probably going to be okay. Planting next to your house seems to make a big difference so good move there. :greenthumb:

Edited by RedRabbit

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

I have planted a few fox tails palms.  Watched a few of them slowly die of course the big ones.  But as of now I have three of them that are still alive.  Two of them where extremely slow like a cycad  I was lucky to get two leaves a year and they only held two or three leaves at any one given time.  But as soon as I started putting down a lot of mulch on top of the soil they started to move a little faster and look a lot better.  So in my opinion give it a lot of mulch and Cross your fingers.  As anyone could  Point out all of us crazy palm nuts  always try to push the boundaries of what we can grow.  Coconut palms lipstick palms  Who hasn't tried to grow one of these in the wrong area.  You never know you might just have a nice little micro climate where something spectacular can grow.  In my opinion your little guy looks happy.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ChrisJordanDDS said:

My foxtails always look worst in late winter/early spring, and best in late summer/early autumn. They always get spotted and ragged looking from the cold and winds, but love hot sun.  Moreno Valley might not be too bad... Worst case scenario is it dies and you've got a spot for a new palm ;)

They definitely don't like the cold but love the heat. I figure if it dies on me it's in a great spot for something else but if it continues to look good then it can stay right there.

13 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Zone 9a or 9b? Low 20s will kill even large foxtails, but if 26 is the lowest you think you're going to see then you're probably going to be okay. Planting next to your house seems to make a big difference so good move there. :greenthumb:

My area is zone 9b that's for sure. I doubt it would get into the low 20s but I guess it's always possible. Being near the house must make a difference. I have Archontophoenix maxima and it completely defoliated about 5 feet further from this Foxtail. 

7 hours ago, Kevin S said:

I have planted a few fox tails palms.  Watched a few of them slowly die of course the big ones.  But as of now I have three of them that are still alive.  Two of them where extremely slow like a cycad  I was lucky to get two leaves a year and they only held two or three leaves at any one given time.  But as soon as I started putting down a lot of mulch on top of the soil they started to move a little faster and look a lot better.  So in my opinion give it a lot of mulch and Cross your fingers.  As anyone could  Point out all of us crazy palm nuts  always try to push the boundaries of what we can grow.  Coconut palms lipstick palms  Who hasn't tried to grow one of these in the wrong area.  You never know you might just have a nice little micro climate where something spectacular can grow.  In my opinion your little guy looks happy.

I have actually grown this Foxtail since it was a small one gallon and it really picked up some speed in a five. It's the only one i got and it sure is fun to try and see if it will make it. There now is a good layer of mulch down and it gets plenty of water.  Don't think I have a good micro climate but maybe I should try a Cyrtostachys haha. Okay well that might be pushing it too much. 

Chris:

A lot depends on where, exactly, in Mo-Val you are. If you're on a hillside, your foxy has a much better chance. The closer to Perris you are, the worse.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hey Dave

I'm Actually north of Lake Perris. Really not much of a hill here but a good indicator is seeing Kings growing here. Perris is much worse than where I'm located. The air form my area seems to drain to Perris but in no way is this an ideal area. If I had my way I would be on a hill  in Fallbrook. I guess we need to take what we can get and make the best of it so Parajubaea, Sabal, and Mules are the way to go. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like the foxy has a chance, so keep us apprized!

At least you're not near downtown Perris and the cold sink.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

14 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

My area is zone 9b that's for sure. I doubt it would get into the low 20s but I guess it's always possible. Being near the house must make a difference. I have Archontophoenix maxima and it completely defoliated about 5 feet further from this Foxtail. 

If you're 9b then I think you've got a fair chance. My area is probably a warm 9b and there aren't many older foxtails, but there are some. In the last real freeze event we had a lot of them were killed or severely damaged. I know a few that made it out in the open, but the ones that made it were usually either hugging a building or were surrounded by asphalt... Foxtails seem fairly variable for hardiness. Check out this street view image after the last big freeze we had:

foxtails.jpg.523ad3b8cc03719390d4d7b4b56

The one on the left wasn't looking too bad, but the two on the right just flat out died. Granted they're a little smaller, but they're also closer to the townhome and there's a coconut that made it in the same neighborhood so I can't think of a good excuse for those wimpy foxtails. Bottom line is, if your first one dies try again because you may have better luck.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

I read somewhere comments some people made regarding growing Foxtail palms and if I remember correctly they said they only had luck growing them if the soil was loose and on the sandy side.  They apparently don't like heavy clay soils especially if wet and cold.  Anyway I thought I'd mention that as that could be a factor in being able to grow them or not especially if you experience some winter cold.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

On 13 April 2016 at 3:58:47 PM, Kevin S said:

Thanks Kevin

what do you usually use for mulch? I am using Pine Bark mulch for my Foxtail ...

9 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

If you're 9b then I think you've got a fair chance. My area is probably a warm 9b and there aren't many older foxtails, but there are some. In the last real freeze event we had a lot of them were killed or severely damaged. I know a few that made it out in the open, but the ones that made it were usually either hugging a building or were surrounded by asphalt... Foxtails seem fairly variable for hardiness. Check out this street view image after the last big freeze we had:

foxtails.jpg.523ad3b8cc03719390d4d7b4b56

The one on the left wasn't looking too bad, but the two on the right just flat out died. Granted they're a little smaller, but they're also closer to the townhome and there's a coconut that made it in the same neighborhood so I can't think of a good excuse for those wimpy foxtails. Bottom line is, if your first one dies try again because you may have better luck.

Well that's interesting that the palms closest to the to the building died and the one farthest looks okay. I could always try another if mine doesn't make it. If it looks horrible every year then I might not keep it but at this point I feel it does have a chance. It's already taken a lot and looks fine. Time will tell that's for sure.

6 hours ago, Al in Kona said:

I read somewhere comments some people made regarding growing Foxtail palms and if I remember correctly they said they only had luck growing them if the soil was loose and on the sandy side.  They apparently don't like heavy clay soils especially if wet and cold.  Anyway I thought I'd mention that as that could be a factor in being able to grow them or not especially if you experience some winter cold.

These are supposed to be in good drainage but my soil is kind of a mixture of clay and sand. Just about everything I plant in it seems to like it but when we get a good rain then puddles do form and hang around for a awhile. My soil is great for the summer time heat since it holds the water a bit so its easy to keep it moist without watering too much.

I have 3 growing pool side in Whittier barrio loco. They survived the 07 weeklong freeze. 

• Upvote 1

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

I am in a real nice sandy soil and I still lost a few.  As for the mulch I use it's a commercial brand Kellogg  available from the big box stores in 3 cubic foot bags.  The mulch doesn't last long so you need to reapply every year  but my palms are much happier now that I started.  I see some people with fox tails palms in there yard they're doing real well sometimes it's sad to see some of them when a gardener gets a hold of them  somehow a lot of gardeners around here believe they're doing a good job by over pruning the leaves of a  palm tree :(  I seen many palm trees go downhill and die by the hands of a gardener.  Even sadder is some one paid them to do it.  I really that should probably be  atopic in       another thread.

I got mulch delivered real cheap since I really needed to cover the ground with something. It's a mix but seems to work well and looks good. 

Kevin I hear you on the tree trimmers over doing it. I do believe there's another thread about it and years ago I posted a thread about these queens in Murrieta that got trimmed to the spear. have actually died and the rest still looked stunned from it. Very common to see in the Inland Empire and it even at my parents house they had guys trimming queens with chain saws. They were over doing it big time and when I told them they acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. 

• 6 months later...

Just to update on this one. It has grown well during the summer. almost looks completely different. Hopefully this winter is nice to it.

20161028_161019-1200x2133.jpg

• Upvote 7

I planted one at my place in Fresno this summer. I took the chance, and with the 1-year guarantee on plants from the big box stores I figured why not?! It's against a brick chimney on a south-facing wall. The grevillea on both sides are in active growth throughout the winter, so I'm going to let them grow over the foxtail to give it extra protection. We're in z9b, sunset zone 9. Sunset describes our zones as one of the thermal belts of the Central Valley so hopefully that means I'll be able to grow this foxtail for at least a couple of years before a hard freeze takes it out. How cold do you get in Moreno Valley? We get down to 29 and 28 at least a handful of times each winter.  

20161027_132951.thumb.jpg.ae17f4ee9eb859

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I planted one at my place in Fresno this summer. I took the chance, and with the 1-year guarantee on plants from the big box stores I figured why not?! It's against a brick chimney on a south-facing wall. The grevillea on both sides are in active growth throughout the winter, so I'm going to let them grow over the foxtail to give it extra protection. We're in z9b, sunset zone 9. Sunset describes our zones as one of the thermal belts of the Central Valley so hopefully that means I'll be able to grow this foxtail for at least a couple of years before a hard freeze takes it out. How cold do you get in Moreno Valley? We get down to 29 and 28 at least a handful of times each winter.  

20161027_132951.thumb.jpg.ae17f4ee9eb859

That looks nice! Hopefully it will make it in that spot and I bet there's a good chance. My area gets cold. Last year we got down to 26 and surprisingly my little one was hardly damaged. It is five feet away from a two story house so that may help too. 

• Upvote 1

Chris, even though you get those nighttime lows, what should save your foxtail is the daytime heat you get...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

From my experience with them, it's the winter that does them in. And specifically, water that sits in the root zone.

Make sure the soil drains well and watch the amount of water during the cool winter months.

And here is a picture of what mine are doing right now!IMG_1380.thumb.JPG.ce0b0f923995d72758ba0

• Upvote 7

44 minutes ago, Pete in Paradise Hills said:

Chris, even though you get those nighttime lows, what should save your foxtail is the daytime heat you get...

True it does warm up once the sun rises. some things might get beat up but just keep chugging along. 

28 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

From my experience with them, it's the winter that does them in. And specifically, water that sits in the root zone.

Make sure the soil drains well and watch the amount of water during the cool winter months.

And here is a picture of what mine are doing right now!IMG_1380.thumb.JPG.ce0b0f923995d72758ba0

Judging by that fat trunk Jim that thing is happy! Tons of seeds there too! The soil in my area isn't the best drainage but i also do cut way back on the water. In fact last winter we had a good rain and puddles formed all over the back yard. nothing seemed to mind it and also seems like they liked it.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I guess it's time for an update. This palm did well through the winter. It's a little beat up but now that heat has returned it is really cranking. 

20170427_192636-2241x3984.jpg

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

I guess it's time for an update. This palm did well through the winter. It's a little beat up but now that heat has returned it is really cranking. 

20170427_192636-2241x3984.jpg

Yes it is looking good!

They should plant some outside the Shark Bar . . . .

Wow, it looks very good! Congratulations.

I think past Winter was a 10a for you.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Yes it is looking good!

They should plant some outside the Shark Bar . . . .

You know I've never actually been there. Might possibly make it there.

21 minutes ago, Monòver said:

Wow, it looks very good! Congratulations.

I think past Winter was a 10a for you.

Thank you. I actually did hit freezing a few times this year but not too bad. out of all my palms this one is the only one with frost damage. Toasted the bananas a bit that's for sure.

Gotta say that is quite impressive given your winter lows. As an amateur enthusiast, I am surprised Foxtails grow anywhere frosts occur. They are found naturally in a very small isolated region of Cape York Peninsular, in Cape Melville National Park at about 15*S. Winter night time temps average 15c with occasional 10c ( 50f lows ) and extreme lows of 4c to 5c once in a blue moon. Their natural habitat has a summer rainfall regime with a winter dry period, although that part of the east coast tropics does get a bit of winter rain, I would think any Mediterranean type climate ( wet cool / cold winters ) might not really be ideal for Mr. Foxtail.

Having said that, I have seen them growing in Mount Isa and Longreach ( Queensland ) where frosts ( mild ) have been recorded. Mount Isa does have a summer rainfall regime however. Not in cultivation in Alice Springs which has a similar climate to Las Vegas ( desert but not as hot in summer or as  cold in winter ) The Alice has weeks of frosty mornings in the mid to high 20'sF every year, so tropical species are not grown in Central Australia. The Foxtail thrives in Darwin as our climate is very similar to their natural habitat,

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2016, 2:17:39, Chris Chance said:

True it does warm up once the sun rises. some things might get beat up but just keep chugging along. 

Judging by that fat trunk Jim that thing is happy! Tons of seeds there too! The soil in my area isn't the best drainage but i also do cut way back on the water. In fact last winter we had a good rain and puddles formed all over the back yard. nothing seemed to mind it and also seems like they liked it.

My soil has terrible drainage and this year was one of the coolest and rainest on record. Not a good combo for the foxtails, and I am not sure mine in the ground are going to make it. In pots though, they are green and healthy. Oh well

I think I might have to end up doing some kind of raised bed approach to promote drainage away. Or just replace with a species that doesn't mind wet soil in the winter

Edited by enigma99

On 5/3/2017, 1:47:11, greysrigging said:

Gotta say that is quite impressive given your winter lows. As an amateur enthusiast, I am surprised Foxtails grow anywhere frosts occur. They are found naturally in a very small isolated region of Cape York Peninsular, in Cape Melville National Park at about 15*S. Winter night time temps average 15c with occasional 10c ( 50f lows ) and extreme lows of 4c to 5c once in a blue moon. Their natural habitat has a summer rainfall regime with a winter dry period, although that part of the east coast tropics does get a bit of winter rain, I would think any Mediterranean type climate ( wet cool / cold winters ) might not really be ideal for Mr. Foxtail.

Having said that, I have seen them growing in Mount Isa and Longreach ( Queensland ) where frosts ( mild ) have been recorded. Mount Isa does have a summer rainfall regime however. Not in cultivation in Alice Springs which has a similar climate to Las Vegas ( desert but not as hot in summer or as  cold in winter ) The Alice has weeks of frosty mornings in the mid to high 20'sF every year, so tropical species are not grown in Central Australia. The Foxtail thrives in Darwin as our climate is very similar to their natural habitat,

I used to live in Las Vegas and queens have trouble growing there yet people try them anyway. No way would a foxtail survive in that climate but it would in an area of the desert that doesn't see the low 20s from time to time. Sounds like you have it made in your climate. You could grow many more palms than I can even hope to grow here.

15 hours ago, enigma99 said:

My soil has terrible drainage and this year was one of the coolest and rainest on record. Not a good combo for the foxtails, and I am not sure mine in the ground are going to make it. In pots though, they are green and healthy. Oh well

I think I might have to end up doing some kind of raised bed approach to promote drainage away. Or just replace with a species that doesn't mind wet soil in the winter

You know I'm surprised that this palm grows so well in its current location. After heavy rain it's basically sitting in a puddle for a while. 

• 4 months later...