IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in Thin/Tall Pots

nitsua0895

I have a bunch of W. Robusta seedlings planted close together so I got some 3 inch wide, 9 inch tall band size pots. Is this suitable for most palm species? I imagine it's perfect for W. Robusta because of how deep the taproot goes but I wasn't sure if other species had roots that needed more of a wide pot. 

image.jpeg

Well I know a lot of online palm sellers used them so must be something to it. BTW where did you get those posts from?

8 minutes ago, earthworm73 said:

Well I know a lot of online palm sellers used them so must be something to it. BTW where did you get those posts from?

I got them from https://www.stuewe.com

The brand I got was Anderson Pots and i'm very impressed with the quality. 

• Upvote 1

These tree pots are perfect for almost all palm seedlings because depth is more important than width due to the long radicle they send out to establish themselves. 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

• 2 weeks later...

Washishingtonia don't need a deep pot like a Bismarck,  sabal, copernicia or other heeled palms. I grown them by the thousands in 1.5x6 liners before going directly to a 1g or 5g bag depending what I need to replenish.  Bismarckia are similar to a pecan or bur oak tree in relation to their tap root when young. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

OK. So I guess I have just a similar twist on the same question. I've been using Anderson band pots, in fact even the same size Mr. 0895 has described, but last year ended up transplanting rather quickly into other pots not being sure if the tap roots would be fine going through the bottom of band pots. I get the idea of air pruning, but have been unsure if that was best for a tap root after just nine inches? Can anyone please shed some light on this?  

Most palms with adjacent or nearly adjacent germination I grow in 8x8x9cm plastic pots, as e.g. this one below (and you can see the roots are very happy). I can not recommend the very deep pots for adjacent germinators (and many other palm genera).

57558525cf7dc_Syagrusinsignis2015-02-13P

575585291ad17_Syagrusinsignis2015-04-28I

5755856815594_SyagrusinsignisN1400IMG_79

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

I have grown a number of deep rooted palms and cycads in Stuewe & Co. treepots of varying depths and they work very well for those species. The only drawback is having to set up a support grid do that the pots remain upright on a bench, since they will tip over on their own. I believe several growers on this forum also use them with great success.

J

You can use small 8x8x9cm pots also for remote germinators like Chamaerops or Sabal minor; here details from old photos showing 56 Chamaerops hum. argentea lined up without tipping over and later 14 of them outside + some inside (none of the 56 got lost):

5755e09badafa_ChamaeropsargenteaDSC00353

5755e0a06fa4f_ChamaeropsargenteaIMG_1294

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

… and for remote germinating Phoenix palms you can use even smaller pots (here with crushed LECA), you don’t need 9 inch tall pots for many palms:

5755e799b93b4_Phoenixreclinata84N01-0104

What is remote germination? 

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

4 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

I have grown a number of deep rooted palms and cycads in Stuewe & Co. treepots of varying depths and they work very well for those species. The only drawback is having to set up a support grid do that the pots remain upright on a bench, since they will tip over on their own. I believe several growers on this forum also use them with great success.

J

9 tree pots fit perfectly in the old plastic milk crates...

54 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

54 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Thanks for the info, very interesting!  The pics made me wonder what the advantage is to the plant on a biological level.

Edited by Howeadypsis

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>