IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

One more even if you don't have the room...

Laaz

Drove by a nursery today & decided to pull in & have a look. They had some nice 15 & 45 gal mules... I asked the woman what the price was on the 15's. She said $135. I said thanks & kept looking around. She comes back over & says if you want one right now give me $100. Needless to say I drove away with one. Now I have to find more room "somewhere"...

28qx8p4.jpg

• Upvote 5

18 hours ago, Jamesasb said:

they look fantastic. Don't understand why there's zero avaliability of these in the uk

Maybe it's pay for not letting us in on those Chamaerops 'Vulcano' palms:lol:

Todd ... awesome looking palms at a great price! How much where the 45 gallon Mules?

• Upvote 2

LOL....no room?....what's with all that grass? ..... you should see my yard

Nice mule :greenthumb:

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

On 30 March 2016 at 22:16:24, Jamesasb said:

they look fantastic. Don't understand why there's zero avaliability of these in the uk

What it the hardiness like on them?

I pretty much did the same thing today... I went to go pick up some archontophoenix I ordered and they had 1g royals for $7 so I couldn't help myself. I'm not sure where I'll put it, but I just can't say no to a royal for that price. :D

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

3 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

I pretty much did the same thing today... I went to go pick up some archontophoenix I ordered and they had 1g royals for $7 so I couldn't help myself. I'm not sure where I'll put it, but I just can't say no to a royal for that price. :D

:greenthumb: 7 bucks for 1 gal royals? wouldn't turn down those either, good find.

Regarding Mules, saw these a couple weeks ago.. Beautiful, but no way id pay the listed price for a 25 gal.. even though the odd one in this group might be tempting. Don't recall ever seeing one like it before.
5700c604d567a_DSCN0820(585x845).thumb.jp

Mine all handled 19 (ultimate low) 48 hours below freezing and and freezing rain ..... without burning leaves .... mules are the shiz!

• Upvote 1

Just priced these Friday at $75.00 per foot overall. Would like to find them cheaper. My double trunk laughed at several days of 18F and a thirty hour stretch below freezing.

Darkman in Pensacola - Looking for cold hardy palms and plants that make Pensacola look tropical

Life - Some assembly required, Side effects frequently experienced, Mileage may vary, As is no warranty, Batteries not included, Instructions shipped separately and are frequently wrong!

Kentucky Bourbon - It may not solve the problem but it helps to make it tolerable!

Statistics - Opinions that analyst twist to support the insanity of those that pay them.

Darkman just order some from Eric. Easy, good quality and decent price.

Nice score for that chunky mule for only 100.00 It freaking HUGE!!

one that size around here (california) would cost 250.00 easily..

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

They must be getting a little more common now as a few nurseries are selling them this year in Arizona.Prices HAVE come down...Current going price for a 15 gallon is $150 with 3 gallons @ $80.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

• 2 weeks later...

For the ultimate low w/o severe damage- I'd say a quick dip to 19* or 20*.  Duration of the cold snap is everything.  Also, rain or ice in the crown preceding the freezing is more damaging.  This is most often the case in Tx- a cold blast comes in- produces rain to ice before the big freeze.  In my experiences in Tx- mid teen temps cause complete leaf burn, defoliation and near death experiences.  My mule with 7' of trunk was nearly killed by the cold blast of 2011. It survived an ultimate low of 14* and 96 hours below freezing.  I trunk cut 16" down until I found live tissue.  It grew out and is thriving today.  

• Upvote 1

WOW matt! Most folks would have trashed the palm and moved on to something else. Are there any lasting scars from your "palm surgery"?

Cheers, Barrie.

Hi Barrie,

There are no scars.  The new growth all grew out the top of the trunk- you can't tell anything was done to the palm.  The mule has since bloomed.  Merrill Wilcox described the trunk cutting procedure to me as he did it to a number of palms after the 1989 cold blast hit Florida.  

• Upvote 1

Two of the oldest Mules in Texas " were " at the courtyard in the San Antonio Botanical Gardens. They defoliated after around 20F ( I saw in person) and were removed one in 2010 and other in 2011 after the cold snaps. The Queens at the Alamo were also killed and removed. I am not sure they gave them long enough time to recover because they cut them down quick. Sad really, I read somewhere that the person in charge at the SABG now doesn't care for Palms. They have been slowly removing even healthy palms over the last few years, I used to go every year, but now I am afraid to go back.

The San Antonio riverwalk is an amazing Microclimate, a queens and 3-4 mules were not touched by the cold. I am not sure if the Triangle and a small Foxtail lived., I think the foxtail was a goner.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2016‎ ‎2‎:‎52‎:‎08‎, Collectorpalms said:

Two of the oldest Mules in Texas " were " at the courtyard in the San Antonio Botanical Gardens. They defoliated after around 20F ( I saw in person) and were removed one in 2010 and other in 2011 after the cold snaps. The Queens at the Alamo were also killed and removed. I am not sure they gave them long enough time to recover because they cut them down quick. Sad really, I read somewhere that the person in charge at the SABG now doesn't care for Palms. They have been slowly removing even healthy palms over the last few years, I used to go every year, but now I am afraid to go back.

The San Antonio riverwalk is an amazing Microclimate, a queens and 3-4 mules were not touched by the cold. I am not sure if the Triangle and a small Foxtail lived., I think the foxtail was a goner.

That is sad. One of the biggest mistakes people make (I've also made this mistake) is removing palms too early and not giving them enough time to push potential new growth. In my area, palms aren't removed very often, but there have been a few projects where there were some very old palmettos removed for the sake of redesign of the property and new building(s). I hate to see old palmettos, or any palm for that matter, go when they they're completely healthy. I wish palms had the same "protection" rights that Live Oaks do on the coast of South Carolina. It's almost sacrilegious to cut down a Live Oak.

All three of my larger mules survived ultimate low of 20 degrees and 48 hours of below freezing temps..also in a subsequent freeze a couple of weeks later survived ice storm and more extended freezing temps. Very minimal browning of leaf tips....nearby huge Sylvestris / Canary hybrid almost completely defoliated. Two nearby big queens and copernecia alba all dead. All these palms were only a few months transplanted into the ground.

Mules.....I'm a believer!

These were Mark Heath mules.