IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

¡Viva Bougainvillea!

DoomsDave

Went out into the back yard and . . .

Saw this hillside of Bogies, ablaze. The first picture was from my neighbor's yard. That's Spanky the Royal towering on the left.

Our local Lowes' sometimes marks them down to $1 and they look sad and ugly and I put them in the ground, and not sad and ugly any more.

Show us yours!

IMG_3959.thumb.JPG.3f6a2fac95703b7c30b65IMG_3960.thumb.JPG.911a3204e326f7244b2e3IMG_3963.thumb.JPG.5e4fb6b617e100b4bd91aIMG_3964.thumb.JPG.5d2078b60dfdf654ad051

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nice in someone else's garden to admire from afar! I have one in the garden but i wish I didn't. They have the nastiest thorns that can go right through a shoe if stepped on. I dread prunning it but they are spectacular in flower.

Regards Neil

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That's my yard!

The nice part is I have the room for them.

Well, at least until I run out of room for palms. When the 800-pound gorilla Jr. lives up to potential, off to the left in the second picture.

Yeah, they're thorny. Which can be good. Keeps out predators, people and animals.

I shredded a big Bogie once . . . it tried very hard to shred me back! Extra-thick Super Horsey Proctology GlovesTM made the job bearable.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

If you want to appreciate a daily view of Bogies, best to give your neighbor across the street a few as a gift.  And let him maintain them.

• Upvote 2

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

33 minutes ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

If you want to appreciate a daily view of Bogies, best to give your neighbor across the street a few as a gift.  And let him maintain them.

Sacrilege!

"Maintain" a boungainvillea? Like maintaining a Mongol horde. The glory of both is their untrammeled-ness, thundering across the steppes, or cascading down a hillside. Not for the compulsively tidy.

When they get out of hand . . . . pick up the sword and shredder.

Not California but anyway here is mine battling it out with the giant bamboo and smothering a Dypsis lutescens.

20160316_121156.thumb.jpg.5b392ce06fa3f720160316_121219.thumb.jpg.4375481b6f3c98

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I used to grow Bougainvillea, until I no longer wanted to climb on a ladder to be repeatedly stabbed by thorns.  They ARE beautiful.  Best for drier climates.  Pip, love that color and form, on the violet side, dense flower bracts along he stem.  So much variety in this plant.  But never again...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

2 hours ago, Kim said:

I used to grow Bougainvillea, until I no longer wanted to climb on a ladder to be repeatedly stabbed by thorns.  They ARE beautiful.  Best for drier climates.  Pip, love that color and form, on the violet side, dense flower bracts along he stem.  So much variety in this plant.  But never again...

Mine is a thornless variety. Although I have just planted a group of others to fill up a hole in a hedge on the other side of the garden those will definitely have thorns.

• Upvote 2

It's hard to beat the color. These are a slower growing more compact variety. 20160221_151332.aa.thumb.jpg.47cd611efd1

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

50 minutes ago, Randall SD said:

It's hard to beat the color. These are a slower growing more compact variety. 20160221_151332.aa.thumb.jpg.47cd611efd1

Nice Foxtail too!

• Upvote 1

Carl

Vista, CA

52 minutes ago, Randall SD said:

What variety? :drool:

Sharp for sure but once under control it isn't too bad, just wear protective gear.  I love the stuff and it is in full effect now!

20160315_180703_resized.jpg

20160315_175022_resized.jpg

20160313_150531_resized.jpg

20160313_150452_resized.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

Carl

Vista, CA

15 hours ago, Kim said:

I concur. That one I shredded (it was right next to the house) tried its best to shred me back. That's why these are on the back-40 slope.

Eventually, the reign of Genghis Bougainvillea will end, most likely as palms grow up and shade that slope. Or, maybe feeling aggressive; put on my Mad Max/Leatherface gear and go for it.

Meantime, I'll enjoy that Mongol horde of color. I can't think of anything that comes close, except for ice plant and the season for those is short.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

What variety? :drool:

They're in the Bambino series of dwarf Bougainvillea, the orange is 'Baby Sophia'. I had full size Rosenka Bougainvillea in the same spot prior, the battle was constant to keep them in scale for the spot. The Bambino's are much easier maintain in a smaller space. 

• Upvote 1

The Bambinos are BITCHEN! :drool:

I hate bouganvillias!!!:floor:

Millions flowers flying with the wind, impossible clean it, always they are faster than me.

But, this nice colour, always in bloom...:wub:

I am confused!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Randall SD said:

Thanks!

20160316_123332a.thumb.jpg.5774f2398ef6f

Wow, beefy!

We should call that one Butch the Foxtail!

• 5 weeks later...

I'm moderately color blind and can still see bougainvillea, well most of them anyway.  They are really showing off here in central fl right now too.  Royal Purple has a long flowering season here you can get blooms almost any time of year.  

Going to see about glasses for color blind folks next month and I hope they work for me so I can come back and look at these photos again.  

A friend gifted us a Small Royal Purple in December.  I've go to figure out a support scheme and plant it this year.  Maybe 50' of split rail fence would do the trick.  If I can see it better, I might plant Barbara Karst on one end and Royal purple on the other.  Then Barbara can be a queen.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

• 1 month later...

Here is one in Rome. I planted it for a client that runs a residence near Vaticano not more than seven years ago and it grows in pure clay!

IMG_6638.JPG

IMG_6640.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

• 1 year later...

For the umpteenth time, I'm trying to grow Bougainvillea in my 9a-9b location and successfully overwinter it without protection.  This year I'm trying B. 'La Jolla' which is listed as capable of handling temps. down to 20 deg.F.... we'll see this winter. My backup is my potted Bougainvillea 'Vera Variegata'. It's a compact hybrid and this is its 2nd bloom this summer. Does very well in pots and handles a wide range of temperatures, but I overwinter it in my sunroom. 

B_LaJolla.jpg

Bvera.jpg

Edited by Hillizard
  • Upvote 3

@Jdiaz31089, @Hillizard

...And anyone else who wants the "look", w/o getting crucified.

Some pictures of "Torch glow" Bougainvillea. Tough, easy, never really stop blooming.. No thorns, and easily kept under control ( slower growing, denser growth).  Largest specimens i have seen average 6' un-trimmed. 

Other Thorn-less, or nearly so, shrub- like Bougainvillea to look for: Suntory " Sunvillea" series, and any of the "Pixie" series.. some of these have variegated leaves also. 

Overall look:

20170902_191131.thumb.jpg.a455380ebe685220170902_191203.thumb.jpg.6bef820647df4d20170902_191323.thumb.jpg.3fbff704759c0e

A closer look:

20170902_132345_resized.thumb.jpg.d85cc1

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

@Jdiaz31089, @Hillizard

Some pictures of "Torch glow" Bougainvillea. Tough, easy, never really stop blooming.. No thorns, and easily kept under control ( slower growing, denser growth).  Largest specimens i have seen average 6' un-trimmed. 

Other Thorn-less, or nearly so, shrub- like Bougainvillea to look for: Suntory " Sunvillea" series, and any of the "Pixie" series.. some of these have variegated leaves also. 

Overall look:

20170902_191131.thumb.jpg.a455380ebe685220170902_191203.thumb.jpg.6bef820647df4d20170902_191323.thumb.jpg.3fbff704759c0e

A closer look:

20170902_132345_resized.thumb.jpg.d85cc1

Awesome specimens! Thanks for sharing those and for your suggestions... I'll look into those varieties. ;)

On 3/14/2016, 9:41:35, Ben in Norcal said:

Never mind those, look at those lovely Caryota!

Soon, there's going to be three pickup truck beds full of seed from each of the C. urens now seeding.

On 3/15/2016, 4:30:22, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

But wouldn't a gentleman help a lady maintain her bougainvileas? :D

On 9/2/2017, 7:35:04, Silas_Sancona said:

@Jdiaz31089, @Hillizard

I've seen some of those Torch Glow bougainveilleas before but I never realized they were thornless! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, tacobender said:

I plant mine outside my front yard wall, otherwise it is nonstop flower clean up. Easy grow here.

IMG_20160807_080513.jpg

That's pretty!

Like something from a travelogue to a fantasy village.

Nice bougainvillea's. Even though I like them, I don't like trimming them. Irma gave me an excuse to cut mine down as I was tired getting stuck by it. Irma stripped all the leaves off the plant, so it was easier to take it down, plus Cape Coral is sending out "the claw" to pick up all the landscape debris so I am taking advantage of that plus it is less dangerous for the people who pick up the landscape waste.

20170911_075405.jpg

20170909_100253.jpg

Edited by Palmaceae

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

• 3 years later...

Un- earthing this Bougie thread, ..since i can't find the more recent one, lol..  Anyway.

Finally got some decent pictures of the Torch Glow " Walls " i came across some time ago.  Wasn't about to pull into the parking lot of the Vet Clinic to get a better shot of picture # 2, but you'll get the idea..

Specimen in the first picture would be  ~ roughly 8ft in height.

DSC03055.JPG.7e52918218771b9def65be15f4089101.JPG

Harder to see but the Bougainvillea behind the Flag Pole is the other large Torch Glow on the property.  Would estimate it tops out at 12ft or so in height. Have come across some other specimens in neighborhoods close to 6ft tall as well every so often. Boug. in front of the flag pole is your standard Bougainvillea fare ( San Diego Red - esque variety )
DSC03056.JPG.cd937ef117ba5d6ef82248a692fdeef5.JPG

Regardless, demonstrates that this variety can reach a much larger size / height than most places who sell this plant would list it as growing.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2016 at 8:55 AM, Tomas said:

Here is one in Rome. I planted it for a client that runs a residence near Vaticano not more than seven years ago and it grows in pure clay!

IMG_6638.JPG

IMG_6640.JPG

Bella Roma update?