IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

La Quinta Ca. Coconut (post winter)

Danilopez89

:greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb: is right.. Nice update Mr. Lopez:) Just about that time for resuming the hunt for more.. B) Plumerias look ready to pop.

This is different from the one where we had the November 2015 meeting?

Pant patn pant pant

licky

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

11 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

This is different from the one where we had the November 2015 meeting?

Pant patn pant pant

licky

Nope.

Same one. 

It looks great. We had a very nice and mild winter here in Southern California. I have been paying attention to the weather in the Coachella Valley and it has been balmy for the majority of this winter, mid 70s to low 80s. It's March now, so from now on nothing to worry about until December. 

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

Oh well

Danny have you tried any coconuts?

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

7 minutes ago, Panamajack said:

It looks great. We had a very nice and mild winter here in Southern California. I have been paying attention to the weather in the Coachella Valley and it has been balmy for the majority of this winter, mid 70s to low 80s. It's March now, so from now on nothing to worry about until December. 

actually, this has been a colder winter for so cal as a whole.

palm springs has hit 29-32 a few times (short duration). I have a collector friend who lives walking distance from down town and have been getting readings from hi HI LO thermometers often

inland valleys in OC and SD  have seem multiple frosty days with temps below 32F

coastal micro climate have been much warmer with temps hitting 34-38 on the coldest nights with an average of 38-43F most other days.

regardless the coconut looks really good :greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

8 hours ago, Josh-O said:

actually, this has been a colder winter for so cal as a whole.

palm springs has hit 29-32 a few times (short duration). I have a collector friend who lives walking distance from down town and have been getting readings from hi HI LO thermometers often

inland valleys in OC and SD  have seem multiple frosty days with temps below 32F

coastal micro climate have been much warmer with temps hitting 34-38 on the coldest nights with an average of 38-43F most other days.

regardless the coconut looks really good :greenthumb:

Josh is right. This was not a nice winter for us in southern California. November was cold, December was colder, and January wasn't any better.

We didn't get warm days like we usually do here in the Desert. Temps looked about the same as they did around some coastal cities for most of the winter.

Biggest difference is probably that we have sunny days almost every day.

And we did have some frosty mornings after those rainy days we had. Definitely not a very nice winter

Looking good! Looks better than some coconut palms I have seen in Central Florida after this winter.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Guess my mother in law (lives in Palm Desert) was lying. Which, in all honestly, doesn't surprise me. :) Here by the coast we had a great February, way above average. All my  palms opened new shoots. 

• Upvote 3

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

12 minutes ago, Panamajack said:

Guess my mother in law (lives in Palm Desert) was lying. Which, in all honestly, doesn't surprise me. :) Here by the coast we had a great February, way above average. All my  palms opened new shoots. 

Hey, edit that, maybe your mother in law is reading this right now :beat_deadhorse:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Rio_Grande.gif

45 minutes ago, Panamajack said:

Lol:floor:

February was pretty nice here too. Plenty of warm days with some warm nights. But we also had some pretty consistent cold nights in the mid to upper 40s from what I remember. 

How do I beat up a horse around here...?:hmm:

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Panamajack said:

same here. I live along the coast and it wasn't bad at all.

it was much colder at my vista garden though ( 8 mi inland)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2017, 1:17:06, wrigjef said:

Any update on the La Quinta coconut?  

It's alive still. It flowered last season, I think for the first time... Maybe this year it can do it again and possibly make coconuts. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎52‎:‎34‎, Danilopez89 said:

IMG_20160313_41388.thumb.jpg.65d07ce3a0cIMG_20160313_47483.thumb.jpg.ddb98aab1f9

:greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb:

California dreaming on such a winter's day

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 1 year later...
On 6/4/2019 at 4:01 PM, wrigjef said:

How did the coconut do through a very cold winter?   

4 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Inquiring minds want to know.... :hmm:

1 hour ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Yes, someone please give us an update!

Unfortunately, Mr. Lopez has been MIA since October of 2017..  :( As curious as i have been regarding the status on this specimen, and the others he found in the area, i'm  hoping all is well,  and that he's just been busy with life....  Anyone tried sending him a PM?

• Like 3

On 8/15/2017 at 3:57 PM, Danilopez89 said:

It's alive still. It flowered last season, I think for the first time... Maybe this year it can do it again and possibly make coconuts. :)

Just Curious: Has the gentleman in La Quinta ever fed his Coconut Palm? Personally I'd be afraid to modify any of the growing conditions for that palm since they have been so successful so far, but perhaps a light application and cultivation of worm castings into the soil wouldn't do any harm. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Finally made the trek to palm mecca.  The coconut palm was amazing.  Anybody know which variety it is?  Be great to encourage more locals, especially botanical gardens, to try growing it.  

La_Quinta_Coconut_Palm_20220305_091422.jpg

• Like 11

20 hours ago, epiphyte said:

Finally made the trek to palm mecca.  The coconut palm was amazing.  Anybody know which variety it is?  Be great to encourage more locals, especially botanical gardens, to try growing it.  

I didn't attend the meeting at this location, so I am not really the best person to say what this is, but if remember correctly it is a "Hawaiian Tall".

• Like 3

This bad boy is growing! I wish they had not trimmed it!

• Like 3

What you look for is what is looking

Thanks for posting, I was wondering how this was doing.  They need to clean up the trunk and it’s ready for the heat around the corner.  It would be great to see another pic in November after no trimming.  I bet it will look so nice!  

• Like 3

On 3/6/2022 at 6:27 PM, rprimbs said:

I didn't attend the meeting at this location, so I am not really the best person to say what this is, but if remember correctly it is a "Hawaiian Tall".

Is Hawaiian Tall particularly tolerant?  Saw a coconut palm for sale today at a local nursery.  No idea which variety it is, but was thinking of buying it and donating it to the Moorten Botanical Garden if they are interested.  

coconut_palm_20220308_131643.jpg

17 minutes ago, epiphyte said:

Is Hawaiian Tall particularly tolerant?  Saw a coconut palm for sale today at a local nursery.  No idea which variety it is, but was thinking of buying it and donating it to the Moorten Botanical Garden if they are interested.  

Green varieties are hardier.

Golden cocos tend to spot and scorch easier than greens.

• Like 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

IMG_20220308_163646_1_copy_1125x2000.jpg

IMG_20220308_163636_1_copy_2000x1125.jpg

IMG_20220308_163630_1_copy_1125x2000.jpg

IMG_20220308_161714_1_copy_1125x2000.jpg

• Like 6

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

However, we all love the golden cocos die to their colors.

Here's the baby , pic taken today, ready for Spring. Did not have any canopy during the winter, only a heat lamp that turns on upon arriving at 8C. 

IMG_20220308_164248_1.jpg

• Like 6

On 3/5/2022 at 11:50 PM, epiphyte said:

So interesting how in the dessert climate there, it retains its old leaf bases.  I would assume this is a condition there to help with moisture retention in the trunk.  Mine in this semi arid coastal Corpus Christi, Texas climate do it too, but to a lesser extent, as we average about 30 inches of rainfall per year at my place.

John

John

• Like 3

On 3/6/2022 at 8:27 PM, rprimbs said:

I have heard that the Green Hawaiian Tall is somewhat more cold/cool hardy than the Golden Hawaiian Tall, and this one appears to be the green variety judging by the color of the petioles..  I think it was Zeeth (Keith) in Florida who said that the Green Hawaiian Tall has somewhat more cold/cool hardiness.  I recall him saying a few years ago that he has one that made it through a night of 27F okay.

John

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 6:43 AM, bubba said:

This bad boy is growing! I wish they had not trimmed it!

You've got that right, Bubba.  Over trimming palms in general, and especially Coconut Palms is a big pet peeve of mine!  They are really bad about doing that with the few Coconut Palms that are grown in Madeira.

John

• Like 2

On 3/8/2022 at 11:13 AM, wrigjef said:

Thanks for posting, I was wondering how this was doing.  They need to clean up the trunk and it’s ready for the heat around the corner.  It would be great to see another pic in November after no trimming.  I bet it will look so nice!  

It probably would not be a good idea to pull off the old leaf bases of this palm, as I think it is a natural way that the palm is retaining moisture in its trunk in that very arid climate.

John

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 6:16 PM, epiphyte said:

Alex, 

The Green Hawaiian Tall is apparently somewhat more cold/cool tolerant than the typically shipped (to the mainland) Golden Hawaiian Tall.  Apparently, the green variety is grown at higher cooler elevations in Hawaii than the Golden variety, which is apparently common at lower elevations along the beaches there.  I love the color of the Golden Hawaiian Tall, but I would actually like to get some of the Green variety due to their somewhat higher tolerance for cold/cool weather.  We aren't talking much difference here, but even just a 2F to 3F difference in tolerance can mean a world of difference for those of us growing them in marginal climates.

John

P.S.   I don't see how any variety of Coconut Palm could make it in Palm Springs, California with an apparent monthly average temp of 51.5F in December, and only an average temp of 53F in January, which would probably produce similar soil temps for those months.  I average a soil temp at my place in coastal Corpus Christi, Texas of about 57.5 to 58F, and mine struggle to make it through the winter here, but because I grow everything ALL ORGANIC, that gives them an edge, and the fact that we have days in the upper 70'sF and some 80'sF in the winter here between bad cold fronts.  Maybe they have some really good microclimates in parts of Palm Springs, because with average monthly temps that low, Coconut Palms would need perfect microclimates!

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 6:16 PM, epiphyte said:

Sorry Epiphyte,  I mistakenly referred to you as Alex.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 9:50 PM, epiphyte said:

WOW...it's great to see that the "La Quinta Coconut Palm" is still alive and thriving! It looks really great...like others, I'm not a fan of the trimming job, however.  Thanks sharing this photo with us!

Edited by Mahalo2
  • Upvote 1